Kick off and (Re)Introduce Yourself

Options
5n00py
5n00py Posts: 125 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Perhaps a cut and paste from the previous group, or maybe you've had some good successes and it is time to start this chapter with a fresh introduction of where you are now in your journey and any targets you are shooting for in the coming months.

Replies

• 5n00py
    Options
    G'day all, I'm Mike.

Transitioned to full vegan (plus home grown free range eggs from time to time) at the start of the year from mainly vegetarian and whole foods. (I had been having a bit of chicken or fish once every week or so because that was 'expected' and I never questioned it!) My diet is now cruelty-free vegan and predominantly raw.

Living out in the country in Australia, meat and animal products are virtually a given, and there is very little processed or packaged food available that doesn't have added salt, sugar, and a plethora of chemicals. Eating out and expecting anything more than a side salad can be a real challenge! Not into the highly processed soy-based products.

My weight loss started in earnest last October, and I have made reasonable progress with about 5 kgs to go to my ultimate target weight.

Current weight: 87.1kg (192lbs)

As there are 18 days left until the end of the month 18 x 0.1kg = 1.8kgs less by the end of the month

Therefore target weight on 1st July = 85.3kgs (187lbs)
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Neva.

I've been vegan for a little over 20 years (wow) and I was vegetarian a few years before that. I stopped eating animals (and stuff that comes out of them) because of my love for animals, not for health. I rescue abused and abandoned cats and dogs (used to help bunnies too, but I have so many feral cats in my care right now that we're not taking anyone else in for a while, so no bunnies at the moment).

I used to live in Brooklyn and work in NYC at like 3 different jobs. I was walking many miles a day, carrying my groceries up four flights, and on my feet all day. So I stayed very thin during that time.

Since then I got married, drive places, got a desk job, got diagnosed with lupus and went on steroids for it, and I gained a lot of weight.

I'm going to be moving shortly so I might not do great at a June challenge. But I'm motivated--I need to get my blood pressure down, it's still way too high. Plus, I've gotten really tired of people asking "when are you due?" all the time.

Current weight is 162 pounds (73.5 kg) and I want to reach 125 (56.7 kg) by the end of the year. If I can lose 4 lbs or 1.8 kg by the end of the month that would be awesome. So, target weight by July 1 is 158 (71.6 kg).
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, I'm Kassey (rhymes with "sassy").

I have been vegan for about 9 years -- my 10 year veganniversary will be in January. I ditched animal products purely for ethical reasons. I am a very political person. Plus, I absolutely adore animals. I consider myself an "animal lover" for sure, but more importantly, I *respect* animals. I completed my Master of Social Work in May of this year and am working as a therapist in a residential community mental health center. It's challenging and the pay isn't great, but I am very happy with that part of my life.

I decided to start my weight loss journey because my blood pressure was elevated. When I got the reading that day I was rather shocked. Later at home I weighed myself and found that for the first time in my life, I was over 200 lbs. In fact, I was 202 lbs. Just for perspective, my average weight has been about 175 lbs as an adult. Very over weight, but I always had good blood pressure and general health. At 200 lbs and 29 years of age I was already getting proof of what was done the road for me if I didn't make some serious changes.

I started MFP on April 13th of this year after my blood pressure scare. I am happy to report that since that time I have dropped 19.6 lbs, so my current weight is 182.4 lbs. I hope to lose another 4 lbs by July 13th. My goal weight is 150 lbs which would mean dropping 52 lbs over all! It's going to be a very long process but I am determined to succeed.

I wish everyone the best of luck in achieving their own fitness goals. It's great to see familiar faces here. I wish I had more vegan friends on MFP, but honestly I don't. I will be sure to suggest joining to anyone I meet who is vegan and trying to lose. Cheers friends!
  • SFBoomr
    SFBoomr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Since then I got married, drive places, got a desk job, got diagnosed with lupus and went on steroids for it, and I gained a lot of weight.

Current weight is 162 pounds (73.5 kg) and I want to reach 125 (56.7 kg) by the end of the year. If I can lose 4 lbs or 1.8 kg by the end of the month that would be awesome. So, target weight by July 1 is 158 (71.6 kg).

Hi, Neva!

I used to live in Brooklyn and I have Lupus, too. I lost weight from the illness going from 120 lbs to 105 which was sickly thin. Then I was put on steroids like you. I ballooned to 170. People in my Lupus support group told me I would probably never lose it after I went off the steroids. I did slowly get to 130 lbs. then I went up to 160+ after an accident that left me sedentary while healing. Now I'm 140 and hoping to lose 10 or 15 more pounds through walking regularly and healthy eating.

I wish you the best while you work toward your July 1st goal.

• 5n00py
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Neva.... I rescue abused and abandoned cats and dogs (used to help bunnies too, but I have so many feral cats in my care right now that we're not taking anyone else in for a while, so no bunnies at the moment).... I'm going to be moving shortly so I might not do great at a June challenge. But I'm motivated--I need to get my blood pressure down, it's still way too high....
    Hiya Neva. Love the adoptive mummy story. I wish you well with food choices during the disruptive move cycle (but I'm sure the exercise will be fabulous as you shuffle all of your worldly goods and furkids to another address).
    kdavid1987 wrote: »
    Hello guys, I'm Kassey (rhymes with "sassy").... I absolutely adore animals. I consider myself an "animal lover" for sure, but more importantly, I *respect* animals. I completed my Master of Social Work in May of this year and am working as a therapist in a residential community mental health center. It's challenging and the pay isn't great, but I am very happy with that part of my life....
    G'day Kassey, I'm with you on the *respect*. Mine is for all of Mother Nature's creations. Great choice to take back control at your age. I squandered years of my health for job and career and broken relationships before only recently coming to the realisation that without my own health, everything else is worthless. Make sure you keep some focus on work-life balance! How's your blood pressure tracking at the moment? As I came back from obese to overweight, my numbers all started looking much better from about then.
    SFBoomr wrote: »
    .... Now I'm 140 and hoping to lose 10 or 15 more pounds through walking regularly and healthy eating....
    Hi SFBoomr, Lotsa story behind your few words, and a fabulous result so far. Congrats on your successes!
  • SFBoomr
    SFBoomr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kdavid1987 wrote: »
    I am a very political person. Plus, I absolutely adore animals. I consider myself an "animal lover" for sure, but more importantly, I *respect* animals. I completed my Master of Social Work in May of this year and am working as a therapist in a residential community mental health center. It's challenging and the pay isn't great, but I am very happy with that part of my life.

Hi Kassey! I'm a political activist. I am also an animal lover who has rescued feral cats (trap, neuter, release). I had to drop out of my Master of Social Work program many years ago due to Lupus. It's nice to hear that you are enjoying your work. I wish you the best with that and with your weight loss efforts.

• cmbentley90
    cmbentley90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Chelsea from Michigan. Been vegan for about 3 years before that I was a vegetarian. Since 2009. I'm vegan for the animals but I need to lose a few pounds too.
  • Remix197319
    Remix197319 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I have been vegan before but have recommitted myself, for the animals and for my health, this year. I am two months in and feeling really good. I am ready to now fully commit to losing my excess weight!