bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.. sub green peppers?

1thankful_momma
1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
I saw this pop up on facebook and it looks low carb to me.... What do you think about replacing the jalapeno with green peppers?

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Delicious jalapenos stuffed with a gooey cheesy filling and wrapped in bacon! These are grilled until the bacon crisps and the cheese melts .. and are out of this world!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 12 Jalapeno Poppers
Ingredients
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
6 whole jalapeno peppers
6 oz cream cheese (the block, not the spreadable)
1 green onion ,finely minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1.5 oz sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
12 slices bacon
Instructions
Cut the stem off each jalapeno and cut in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scrape out seeds & membranes.
In a small bowl combine cream cheese, green onion, garlic powder and cheddar cheese. Stuff into the jalapeno halves.
Wrap each jalapeno completely with bacon ensuring the cheese is covered. Secure with toothpicks.
Place jalapenos on grill cut side down and grill just until bacon begins to crisp (about 6 minutes). Gently loosen bacon from the grill and flip jalapenos over. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook an additional 10-12 minutes or until bacon is cooked and cheese is melted.
http://www.spendwithpennies.com/grilled-bacon-jalapeno-poppers/

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    I'm a little confused here... jalapeno are fairly small and slim.... Green peppers are normally maybe 3 or 4 times the size, round and very hollow.... Am I not getting something?

Seriously, no sarcasm intended.
    What 'green peppers do you have in mind, otherwise....?
  • 1thankful_momma
    well, I was thinking of the same sized slice of green pepper equal to the size of half the jalapeno... maybe 1/8... 1/6... 1/4...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Given my penchant for hotter is better when eating peppers, I wouldn't make the change. I do believe the sugar content of green (bell) peppers is higher, though. The color of the pepper makes a difference as well. The green bell peppers are lower carb than red, orange or yellow.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited June 2017
    I've made jalapeno poppers before.

Are you thinking green bell pepper? That would make a giant popper. Or if you just tried slicing it and adding some of the mix then wrapping in bacon, I think you'd lose a lot of the filling or have partially cooked bacon.

A jalopeno is the perfect side. Are you trying to avoid "hot"? If you scrape out ALL the membrane and seeds you'll lose most of the heat. Also peppers lose their heat as the cook (a bit).

If you really want it popper style (I think of popping it it your mouth) with no heat try finding some very small pablano peppers or maybe sweet banana peppers. They would still be too big.

Maybe cut a small pablano or sweet banana pepper in half and fill it like a boat with a strip of bacon on top? I think anaheim peppers would be good. They're smaller than a pablano.

I might be missing something??? I've made a dip with the ingredients (also added bacon and/or sausage) and stuffed a green bell pepper with the dip as an appetizer.

• 1thankful_momma
    yes... want to avoid the hot
  • kpk54
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've made a dip with the ingredients (also added bacon and/or sausage) and stuffed a green bell pepper with the dip as an appetizer.

What I'm meaning here is the pepper was for a little flavoring but mostly a decorative vessel for the dip served with scoops, crackers, etc.

Scoop the dip on to raw bell peppers maybe? Wouldn't be as tasty as a cooked pepper. Maybe someone with more pepper knowledge knows of a small non hot pepper. I'm still thinking sweet banana or pablano. Anaheim, if you can find some that aren't hot.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Taking out the membranes is what keeps the hot down (use gloves!)...

I like doing a mix of ground sausage with the cream cheese before wrapping them in bacon. Takes any residual heat down from slightly spicier peppers down another few notches. I do this with mine...my guy prefers without the sausage.

And I've NEVER used spices in mine. No green onion. Rarely cheddar cheese if ever.

Usually, the larger jalapenos are less spicy. Any with red or yellow on them are spicier. You may also have some luck at slightly lifting the edge of the ... frond/skirt that's part of the stem. The spicy ones SMELL spicy...and since you don't like the hot, I can tell you, you'll likely be able to smell it.

I hate HOT like that, but when you get the membranes and seeds out, you just get a well-seasoned pepper most of the time!
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Canned jalapenos (jar) are less hot than the fresh. Mmmm, I just got an idea of perhaps layering the sliced jalapenos in a ramekin followed by the other ingredients.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    You could use sweet bell peppers this way (minis or regular), but you'd be looking at a but more carbs...which wouldn't be that many more if you're only eating a few at a serving. The mini ones are similarly sized to jalapenos.
  • kpk54
    EggToni wrote: »
    Canned jalapenos (jar) are less hot than the fresh. Mmmm, I just got an idea of perhaps layering the sliced jalapenos in a ramekin followed by the other ingredients.

Now there's the perfect idea for making the "dip" taste like peppers. Add some canned jalapenos. Cool!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    I would think a green chili (think Anaheim) would work well in this situation and would be less spicy. I have also blanched the jalapenos for a few minutes to speed up cooking time and I think that might decrease the spiciness a little as well although I have no proof.

I have made these types of jalapeno poppers quicker and easier by adding chopped up bacon directly in the cream cheese and my family says they actually prefer it that way. You can also add extra cheddar cheese.

Another variation is to add some sausage in with the cream cheese and bacon. This usually goes over well for a crowd of hungry men.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    edited June 2017
    Use a whole green pepper filled with cheese and you will give Fat Bombs new meaning
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    You can buy big jalapenos! I make these every New Years and around Thanksgiving.
    I cook the jalapeno halves in the oven tell about done, then I put crumbled up crisp bacon/cream cheese mixed together in the half-shells, I top with a piece of shrimp. When it is time to serve them, I put under the broiler tell the cream cheese starts to get some dark spots on them. They are YUMMY! Wear gloves and clean the peppers under water.
  • kpk54
    Use a whole green pepper filled with cheese and you will give Fat Bombs new meaning

:p
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    yes... want to avoid the hot

Second the Poblano pepper recommendation. I don't like hot (spicy) food and Poblano chiles are VERY mild!

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    She doesn't want any spice
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    She doesn't want any spice

I am a professed spice wimp @JohnnyLowCarb. I literally get absolutely no sense of "hot spice" from both poblano or Anaheim chiles.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Why on Earth...?

Man, am I ever glad I grew up in Phoenix.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    Why on Earth...?

Man, am I ever glad I grew up in Phoenix.

:D
    I might just be a sistah from another Mistah..... I'm very much the purist.
    This is just my opinion, and I'm not dissing anyone, but if I have to change a recipe so much as to lose the original intention, I just don't bother....

I'm also not a mega-fan of fusion cooking either, AIH.....
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    We do this recipe with the bag of mini sweet peppers you find at Wally World... instead of the jalapenos. These keep the good stuff inside.