Crashed :(

Options
2»

Replies

• Retrofit55
    Retrofit55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Slips happen. I've been LCHF for a bit over 2 years. Mainly keto. I would say I am on the right track about 90% of the time. That looks good but it leaves a few weeks of eating the wrong foods for my health. I do consider it to be a victory when I don't let myself go too far.

For example, a slip for me prior to LCHF was a family sized bag of peanut m&m's. Now a slip is a tablespoon of of chocolate chips in nuts, or a small bowl of ice cream. And the slips don't last as long. I get back on track faster. Usually. LOL ;)

It happened. It will probably happen again. Just move on quickly. :)
    Retrofit55 wrote: »
    I actually think the poor hydration and electrolyte imbalance(s) we've been talking about has played some role in the recent fail. I hope to fix this by getting some quart canning jars so I'll always have plenty of homemade keto bone broth on hand for quick nourishment. For that matter, is there anything wrong with just keeping my crockpot running on low for days/weeks, replenishing as necessary with water, bones, and other ingredients, as I consume the strained broth (at least 24 hours after adding any fresh bones & meat) while using a clean ladle each time I dip into it?

How about using supplements or sodium tablets? That is a fairly exact way of bringing up electrolytes. Would that work with your health issues?

quote="Retrofit55;d-10567265"]Further, I am sure that I have not been getting enough raw veggies in my diet. And that scares me because of the liver damage that can result from high dietary fat intake without sufficient accompanying phytonutrients to help the liver successfully process the fat out of the body. Until I get a handle on the raw veggie problem, do you think it would be "good enough for now" if I concentrated on eating above-ground veggies lightly sautéed in good fats and spices/herbs? Does baking/frying/microwaving completely destroy the nutritive value of vegetables for the purposes of fat burning? Can anyone point me to a keto cookbook with simple recipes that make it easier to get the healing vegetables we need?

I don't understand your veggie need either. Is that related to your kidney problem?

People don't need any veggies. They can be very good for you but much of the benefits of phytonutrients (and fibre) have to do with plant digestion. If you limit plant intake I believe there is less of a need for plants.

I could be wrong. And I am probably biased. I've been following a mainly carnivorous diet, and eat almost no vegetables, because I feel better doing it. I have a few autoimmune diseases, and some fairly advanced arthritis, that improves by a lot when I skip carbs.
    Also, ironically, I'm having a hard time keeping the fat intake up to a level that provides satiety. Particularly while I'm trying to keep the protein down to a level that is acceptable for stage 3 renal failure (55-68 g protein/day). Right now, I'm so blown out of the water by all of these complex variables swimming around in my mind, and the recent disappointing fail, that the only fix I can picture is some half-cooked broccoli swimming around in bacon grease. I need simplicity to make this work!

Adding butter, salad dressings, oils, cheese, nuts and seeds to your foods may help.

Bullet proof coffee or chia tea is a really easy way to add more fat to your diet, if it is to your tastes.

Congrats on getting right back to it! That's hard to do. :)[/quote]

It's YouTube videos that got me worried about the raw veggies. Some of the keto docs kept emphasizing the need for raw veggies to protect the liver and facilitate/accelerate fat loss. I quickly got worn out prepping and eating the whole raw veggies. But everyone's comments have helped me a lot. I think I can handle fixing some large veggie casseroles, then freezing them in portions to use throughout the week. You are all wonderful sounding boards and I'm so glad ya'll are here!

And that's a great point about keto slip ups -- you made me realize that, even during this fail, it was only with HALF the huge amount of sugar and wheat that I used to binge on...and I drank black coffee with it...rather than washing it down with a GALLON of milk. Even our slip-ups can contain victories.

• Retrofit55
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    Okay. This is going to be really hard to write because it means I'll be admitting to all of you who have been such encouraging cheerleaders that, IMMEDIATELY on the heels my earlier hardwon success, I've blown, blown, blown it big time.

Welcome to the world of two steps forward and one step back. Sometimes it's lots of steps forward, but for most of us, at some point, there ends up being a one-step back. You could've just said, "forget it," but instead you reached out to the rest of us. Your post is encouraging because we've all struggled here and there. The important thing is to not give up. I admire you for trying to do something positive about your health issues! I'm doing keto for health reasons too, and I was comforted to see that there are others here walking the same path. Hang in there and see this as a learning experience. {{HUGS}}

I used to diet primarily for vanity's sake. It's a whole different ballgame when you're trying to save your life. So...onward and upward! Good luck with overcoming your own health issues. And {{HUGS}} back to ya'!
  • Retrofit55
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    The verdict is out and highly divided regarding nutritional value for plant foodss. Yes I know "essential fatty acids", "essential amino acids" and no such thing as "essential carbohydrates".

I was up late last night reading about value in plant food sources. Some of that came from keto "experts". I went down a rabbit hole of new research regarding need for prebiotics (vegetables/fiber) in the general population and then into a deeper rabbit hole regarding prebiotic need for those with neurological disorders.

I can safely say that while there are researchers who are pro and con, the vast majority will say there is NEW information every day and much to be learned.

That's exactly where I was during the fail -- spiraling down the rabbit hole of food science and neuromuscular (etc) disorders. Now, thanks to all of the feedback, I'm going to choose those (many) veggies I CAN eat with a measure of convenience and ease and stop panicking over the foods I can't manage right now. Mmmm, peacefulness is nice.
  • Retrofit55
    Options
    Bouddie wrote: »
    I didn't really like the idea of fat bombs but I caved, I've been walking past a bunch of danish for three days now, I haven't caved but last night I made my first chocolate fat bombs. I need that extra fat to make sure I have the satiety to resist. They're like yummy little chocolates.

As a chocolate lover, I was blown away at the beginning of my keto journey by how delicious the "lemon cheesecake" fat bombs were. So tangy! And, like you said, the fat is so satisfying, the cravings evaporate. I'm sure it's no coincidence that my fail happened a couple of weeks after I stopped making them. Back to fat bombs!
  • Retrofit55
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    There is no sense in rumination or judgement. The past is merely memory. All you really have is the next decision. Simply begin again.

Beginning again doesn't seem so intimidating with all of the ideas I've gotten from the forum. I'm actually no longer kicking myself about the fail because it forced me to reach out and now I've learned so much from it that will help me move forward with keto with much greater ease and confidence. And that's actually a win! :)
  • Retrofit55
    Options
    You asked: "is there anything wrong with just keeping my crockpot running on low for days/weeks, replenishing as necessary with water, bones, and other ingredients ...."

I would think carefully about keeping a running batch of broth in a crock pot. By definition, slow cookers don't keep foods at a high enough temperature to ward off stray food pathogens. With chronic digestive issues to cope with, I'm always very concerned about food poisoning so I may be overly cautious in this respect. But, still, how about making large quantities of bone broth and freezing in single servings? I freeze things like that in quart sized ziplock bags, laid flat in the freezer until solid so they can be efficiently stored standing upright.

No, I think it's fine.
    Because the food isn't in there long enough for pathogens to build. If it's hot and cooking, it gets eaten. What's more it's at a constantly high enough temperature to ward off problems like bacteria.

It can be done.
    I found this...

and this...Perpetual stew or Hunter's pot

And finally....

As a final comment, my grandmother herself had a perpetual broth pot on the go. Over an open fire. At night, she would take the pot off its hook, and sit it on the fire embers.
    It would still be hot in the morning, when she would hang it back up and put in the fire again.

Sometimes, she would transfer the pot to a cast-iron stove, and that thing would roar....

These were all helpful articles. And the last one (by Maria Trimarchi, http://www.howstuffworks.com/about-author.htm#colenso) offered a good guideline: "There's a fine line between fermented and spoiled. Stu, for example, cooks over an induction burner, simmering at a temperature of about 200 degrees Fahrenheit (94 degrees Celsius). That's the temp when a bubble or two continue to pop on the broth's surface every few seconds. And those bubbles are good news for those grossed out by the idea of eating foods some might consider past their prime. Bacteria known to cause food-borne illness flourishes at temperatures between 40 degrees Fahrenheit (5 degrees Celsius) and 140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 degrees Celsius), but can't survive the heat of a constant simmer. Properly prepared and maintained, Stu could become part of the family, similar to sourdough mothers passed along through generations."

In my next batch of bone broth, I'm going to measure the actual temp of the high, low, and warm settings, which I am sure can vary from the standard temps stated in the product booklet, and then decide whether to keep the pot going or freeze the broth in portions (or both). Thanks for sharing! 
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    It was my pleasure. And I'm going to say right now, hand on heart, I honestly cannot think of one time when anyone displayed any digestive problems or troubles relating to Grandma's 'Perpetual Pot'.

I know, however, that my cousin, (having purchased with her husband, a wonderful old Italian farmhouse which over 10 years, they lovingly and painstakingly accurately restored) began a similar project, and has on more than one occasion had to "Rip it up and start again"....

To be honest with you, my train of thought doesn't necessarily lay all the blame fairly and squarely at the process.

Historically, we used to be far less Hygienic. All this passion for excellence and total cleanliness, in my view, has not been entirely beneficial.
    Of course, if we're talking medical operative procedures (both great and small) then of course, that's not even up for argument.
    What I mean is the day-to-day encounters we have with normal bacteria.

Just as the emphasis in food now seems to be accenting prebiotics, probiotics, lactofermentation and your microbiome, so I think we should radically change our attitude to external bacteria and microbes.

I never use bleach or commercial cleaners. I don't waste money on expensive detergents, apart from washing up liquid for dishes, and washing liquid for clothes.

My cleaners are lemon juice, white vinegar, Bicarbonate of Soda and salt. And very, very hot water.
    Because I happen to believe that 'killing all germs - dead' is not to our benefit.

It's my belief that our resistance to what's naturally 'out there' has been negatively compromised by our obsession with super-cleanliness.

There's nothing wrong with being clean.

But there's 'clean', and there's 'OMG, don't OVER-DO it...!'

Just my 20 pence..... (we Brits usually pay over the odds for everything...!)
  • Retrofit55
    Options
    Furthermore, all of your cleaners are edible and taste so bad it's unlikely you'll have to call Poison Control, or worry about your toddler suffering serious damage or death, if you find him/her with any of them.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, I am past the stage of having to be cautious for the sake of inquisitive little hands. Or mouths!

But yes, there is of course, also THAT bonus!