Thank you Fred Kummerow

Options
dasher602014
dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
He sued (and won) the FDA when he was 99 years old!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/science/fred-kummerow-dead-biochemist-ban-trans-fatty-acids.html?_r=0&referer=http://m.facebook.com/

(But changing the feed of poultry to prevent rancidity in frozen meat worries me a little).

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What is crazy though is that the ban was called in 2015 but won't go into effect until 2018. Three years? Our bureaucrats hard at work. :/ Thanks for posting.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I think that was a long time ago... and certainly, Military food manufacturing and prep has changed a good deal since then. For a start, military meals are very good quality (take the NAAFI, for example), and out in the field it's all packaged and dehydrated, and portioned to give the best nutrition possible... (Having an ex-Military H helps to know these things....)
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Yes, it was a long time ago and lots have changed. I guess I was thinking about what went into the feed to help preserve frozen poultry and is this still in our freezer cases today? (Although I have to admit, I buy nothing but fresh poultry except for the odd turkey).

I was just so impressed that he continued his work until he got the regulations changed (although not yet in effect). It took so long but he did not give up. A public health hero.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Roll on 2018!! Not long now, we're nearly at year's apex!!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Roll on 2018!! Not long now, we're nearly at year's apex!!

Unless our new administration rolls back the ban. Many regulations passed during the previous administration are being thrown out by the new administration.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Damn. It wouldn't surprise me. The current 'Administrator' is about as attractive as a tub of lo-fat margarine spread.

And possibly even the same colour.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Awesome article. Not a fan of the insults in above response though. This board isn't a place to do that stuff.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    What is crazy though is that the ban was called in 2015 but won't go into effect until 2018. Three years? Our bureaucrats hard at work. :/ Thanks for posting.

Not a sound leap of logic. The 3-year delay is more likely the result of pressure to be "business-friendly" (consumer-hostile) than from being lazy.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Awesome article. Not a fan of the insults in above response though. This board isn't a place to do that stuff.

No comment.....
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I would also remind everyone that it is against MFP rules to post about politics.

I was simply in admiration that a man spent 60 years from his proof that transfats caused (not associated but caused) heart disease to suing the government and getting the change on the books. He never gave up. And I think we have a few medical doctors, journalists and public health people who support this WOE who are equally dedicated.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    :warning:
    I would also remind everyone that it is against MFP rules to post about politics.

Indeed.
    MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

Which we interpret to mean, if you want to trash politics, you can make/or join a group for that, but this is a LC support group, one which enforces site-wide Guidelines.

Let's avoid addressing specifics on politics.
    No zingers insulting specific political parties or specific administrations.
    Some people find this offensive.

Carry on.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

I'd forgotten that. Although I did read the Guidelines, and I honestly didn't think responding to a post about 'administration' would be straying into that realm.
    baconslave wrote: »
    Let's avoid addressing specifics on politics.
    No zingers insulting specific political parties or specific administrations.
    Some people find this offensive.

Carry on.

Apologies.
    Ok, 'nuff said....