Question for diabetics

Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Eminently reasonable. Thought experiments are not going to tell you much.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Interesting that this was the first thread this morning. I've been doing well with keto and not having any trouble with Glipizide but I've been thinking about it alot lately. It's only ever been the fasting level that was problematic unless I ate carbs and since keto I've not had one spike except for fasting. It's up and down with no real rhyme or reason that I can figure out. I can't decide if feeling better is because of the pill or the diet and reading up on that Jason Fung website I'm wondering if I'm actually hurting myself in the long-run. I'm only on 2.5 mg so it's probably not doing a ton of damage, but on the flipside of that, is it doing anything at all? I'm thinking of going without it for a week and see if there are any changes.

Are you fasting on glipizide? It's my understanding that that's incredibly risky. My doc stressed over and over to me I couldn't even skip one meal on it.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you can't skip a meal or reduce carb consumption because some medication will push your BG too low, that sounds like "Danger, Will Robinson!" to me.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Exactly. Which is one of two reasons I'm trying to find a solution (see glipizide thread). The other reason being a "standard" five pound weight gain due to sugars being more effectively used (so where you maybe ate 1500 cals but only used or stored 1200 now you are using or storing all 1500). Ppl online report more often a 10-20 pound weight gain. Forget that!!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Update...recent blood work shows a greatly decreased A1C, perfect lipids and electrolytes, and low iron. The iron explains the fatigue and I'm not on a supplement + a vitamin C to help with absorption . My BS is still a bit too high but so much better the doc says if I keep it up I may be able to stop the Glipizide altogether. I did attempt to stop it on my own when my prescription ran out but I really did feel a difference even if my morning BS doesn't show it.

I don't do a lot defined fasting, though I'm working on eating based on hunger rather than the clock. I'm only on 2.5mg of the Glipizide so I haven't noticed a lot of low blood sugar issues like I did on 5mg.