Anyone regret WLS?

Options
2»

Replies

• Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    @Mandy_1982 I'm so sick everyday I'm pretty much bedridden. I feel so bad all of the time. I can't keep anything down and I'm in pain. I had a CT yesterday to make sure it wasn't a leak. My surgeon is on vacation so the stand in doctor said he didn't see a leak but not being able to keep anything down is a huge issue. He said he's not sure what it is my surgeon will be back Monday. I'm thinking of going through the er at another hospital I feel so bad.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @Shull_rachael DO NOT just go into any ER. DO NOT just see any doctor. YOU NEED to see a BARIATRIC SURGEON. There have been NUMEROUS horror stories of people going into the ER and those docs screwing things up and making it worse for bari patients!
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    @NicoleL874 the stand in doctor isn't a bariatric doctor. Mine is the only one in the area. Do you think that's why he can't figure it out?
  • ThineOwnselfBTrue
    ThineOwnselfBTrue Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nov 2013...regret it everyday for the last year and a half...my doc is horrible...told me I'm not losing because I am overeating even though I am typically around 1400 cal/day...some days all I can eat is slider food (soft, mushy) I throw up the healthy stuff a lot - the heat, time of the month and stress levels have an impact on my band...if I fly I can't eat for 8-12 hours unless it is soft...I thought the band would make it so I felt full sooner and stop eating. No, it makes eating painful. My doc told me, "exercise is not the way to lose weight" while I agree to a point I also know that I have come to love working out and how much I feel better when I do.

I am trying to "go back to basics" though and really really chew my food, not drink for 30 min after eating, I tend to avoid rice, pasta, bread...
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    @ThineOwnselfBTrue You have the lapband? I have heard a lot of bad things about it. Most patients get theirs removed and get RYN or VSG. At my Kaiser, lapband isnt even an option anymore.

@Shull_rachael I agree with Nicole. You cannot just go to any doctor, especially this soon after surgery. My surgeon was really mad that the ER gave me a ton of steroids right after surgery. I also had to remind them that I couldn't have the NSAIDs, and they kept bringing me food i couldnt eat even after we talked multiple times about how I just had surgery and what I could and couldnt do.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Nov 2013...regret it everyday for the last year and a half...my doc is horrible...told me I'm not losing because I am overeating even though I am typically around 1400 cal/day...some days all I can eat is slider food (soft, mushy) I throw up the healthy stuff a lot - the heat, time of the month and stress levels have an impact on my band...if I fly I can't eat for 8-12 hours unless it is soft...I thought the band would make it so I felt full sooner and stop eating. No, it makes eating painful. My doc told me, "exercise is not the way to lose weight" while I agree to a point I also know that I have come to love working out and how much I feel better when I do.

I am trying to "go back to basics" though and really really chew my food, not drink for 30 min after eating, I tend to avoid rice, pasta, bread...

Please get a second opinion from another bariatric surgeon regarding the status of your band. As @Bekah7482 mentioned, many doctors don't even offer them anymore. You're having complications that shouldn't be ignored.

Exercise is not needed to lose weight but it does positively contribute to overall health and well-being.

I'm nearly 2 years out from gastric bypass and 99.9% of the time I still wait an hour after eating before drinking anything...but I'm terrible about eating too fast so I have to watch my portion control.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes i do regret it. Before my gastric bypass I lost 101 lbs on my own. I had actually told myself that if i lost 100 lbs in my 6 months of pre surgery weight loss i would NOT do it. However, when the time came i thought with the added "tool" that wls would give me i would do amazing. Well that did not happen for me
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    @Mandy_1982 I'm so sick everyday I'm pretty much bedridden. I feel so bad all of the time. I can't keep anything down and I'm in pain. I had a CT yesterday to make sure it wasn't a leak. My surgeon is on vacation so the stand in doctor said he didn't see a leak but not being able to keep anything down is a huge issue. He said he's not sure what it is my surgeon will be back Monday. I'm thinking of going through the er at another hospital I feel so bad.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You definitely should not be feeling like that. I hate that your surgeon is out of town :( If something is wrong it sucks having to wait until Monday. Is there any of your surgeon's staff you can call? Like a nurse or dietitian that could give you advice or help?

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @Shull_rachael Absolutely! If the on-call doctor is not a bariatric doctor he may be floundering! When is your surgeon back? If it's soon, I'd definitely try to wait it out. If not, there's got to be another one SOMEWHERE. It may not be convenient, but it may be worth the trip!
  • theonlyvictoria
    theonlyvictoria Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not a day goes by that I don't LOVE MY TOOL. I've lost 90lbs and am only 15 lbs from a truly healthy BMI. I wish I'd done it sooner so my last pregnancy hadn't been so unhealthy, but I'm glad I'm healthy now and I'd do it again 100 times over if I had to.
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people early on after having vsg struggle with some very serious regret. I don't mean regret as having the surgery but regret that they spent so many years being so overweight and missing out on a lot of things. In that way, regret is a horrible thing. And I've decided that I'm going to move on with my life and just be happy that I finally did it when I did. I can't go back in time and have it earlier so I've decided to be happy now and for the rest of my life. Best physical decision I have ever made
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 years out from sleeve surgery and I never regretted my decision for a minute. Like other posters have said, I wish I'd done it years earlier. Do lots of research and decide if WLS is right for you. In the end, your opinion is the only one that matters. Best of luck.
  • Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Dr. Michael Snyder with Denver Bariatric Center at Rose Medical. He had a great pre-op seminar. He spent nearly 40 mins with me during my initial consult answering all my questions. He gave honest direct answers...but also made it clear that I needed to be comfortable with my decision. There was no high pressure sales.