Low carb = drug effects?

Options
getfitchelle
getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11881002&ref=NZH_fb

Anyone here getting high off the low carbs? Er, I certainly am not.

What's with the very bottom line of the article??

Replies

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    When my body first became fat-adapted, I seriously was zooming around like crazy. Usually, I have loads of energy in the morning before I even eat thanks to cortisol (and am hardly ever hungry til around 11 or noon), but a high fat/moderate protein breakfast with 3-5 g or less carbs for the whole meal followed by my coffee w/a splash of hwc will really kick me into high gear, both mentally and physically.

Some days, I'll stop working early just to go run errands or clean house. For no reason other than I feel like it. And it's not even that dirty. And I live alone and rarely have anyone over. And I am not a neat freak. And and and... (lol)

So yes, I do experience a bit of a high being keto vs before I was.

Maybe it's all in the mind, but fat as fuel is definitely cause for ketogasm, at least for me. I have never done GHB, so I cannot compare the experience.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This is so funny that you post this now. I recently been telling peopke i have so much positive energy that it is similar to a high. But how woukd i know I have never done any illegal drugs. But here is another reason to try this diet
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @getfitchelle thanks for the link. Not sure about some of the details but raised questions/red flags call for more reading of research on the subject.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    This is so funny that you post this now. I recently been telling peopke i have so much positive energy that it is similar to a high. But how woukd i know I have never done any illegal drugs. But here is another reason to try this diet

I've often liked to share my 'ketogasm' high with folks but most are too skeptical and/or think of me some weird food Nazi and/or hippie person who reads conspiracy theories, or else just 'fad follower' because they are still indoctrinated to believe dietary glucose burning is king and "You'll have a heart attack," or "I prefer to get my dietary advice from actual doctors," or "OMG you can't NOT have carbs, the body needs them!" etc.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I watched part to this morning.

Even with my background training and nearly three years of reading 20+ hours a week I think the "WHY" behind Nutritional Ketosis is just starting to sink into my dense head. Being 66 means I started with a lot of false programming as to how to eat.

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm having super positive effects like @bjwoozy and @GaleHawkins. It's the reason I'm doing this, actually.

I have struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life. This diet has been more effective at treating those things than any prescription drugs I've been put on - and I've been put on a lot. I've been put on Adderall and klonopin, so I've been on serious meds. Keto is better. I'm as focused and productive as I was on adderall without being also jittery and crashing when it wears off. I'm as calm as with klonopin without being sleepy and not caring about or being interested in anything.

I've been on so many psych meds and this is superior in every way.

I told my therapist that I've been on a ketogenic diet and it's making a huge difference. He seemed like the was humoring me. Then I said, "I've actually done something similar before. I saw a documentary about sugar and I cut out processed sugar, bread and pasta."

His eyes lit up. He said, "OH, you're on a low carb diet? I didn't know what a ketogenic diet was. But, yes, getting off carbs can have a profound effect on your mood."
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have type and then deleted my comment. Because this article is only partially true. Yes, you can have mental clarity and extra energy when fasting. But, not really with low carb. I find it annoying when they get the facts so wrong. For the record, I don't get those effects while doing Keto. I have never done ecstasy, so I can't comment about that.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fast forward xx years....

"Ecstasy - So you can get Keto-high AND eat pizza."

;)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Actually, during the first roughly 6-8 months of embracing a keto way of eating and lifestyle, I did experience that natural high. I'd actually forgotten about it until I read this article.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    hoping32 wrote: »
    Because this article is only partially true. Yes, you can have mental clarity and extra energy when fasting. But, not really with low carb. I find it annoying when they get the facts so wrong. For the record, I don't get those effects while doing Keto.

Are you saying you must be fasting? Not sure this squares with folks' experiences....
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Wow, I have type and then deleted my comment. Because this article is only partially true. Yes, you can have mental clarity and extra energy when fasting. But, not really with low carb. I find it annoying when they get the facts so wrong. For the record, I don't get those effects while doing Keto. I have never done ecstasy, so I can't comment about that.

@hoping32 I had to do nutritional ketosis faithfully for 3 years to recover from some health issues but I typically do not fast because I take supplements that suggest to be taken with food. I did get mental clarity quickly but it was well over a year before I got ANY extra energy.

At my age and the failure of just cutting calories long term that only lead to yo-yoing results I am not doing anything to lose weight that I do not seem myself doing 40 years from now. While I do not fast in the typical fashion I find if I stop eating at 5 PM daily until 5-7 AM that it is easier to lose more of the extra weight I am carrying.

Keeping my carbs just under 50 and protein around 75 grams daily seems to work for me. Cutting back on eating 1600 calories from fat will lead to me burning more body fat however.
  • nokanjaijo
    edited June 2017
    Options

There is actually a growing collection of studies that indicate a ketogenic diet could be used to treat a wide array of neurological disorders.

There is also some compelling evidence that your gut microbiome, which is really only affected by your diet in adulthood, could be largely responsible for your mood and even aspects of your personality.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    . But, yes, getting off carbs can have a profound effect on your mood."

And yet they never over that up as a suggestion for someone struggling? Tragic....
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    And yet they never over that up as a suggestion for someone struggling? Tragic....

It actually isn't. This is not that kind of therapy nor do I want it to be. With my kind of long term trauma, somebody telling you a bunch of things that you should do can easily shut you down. It has done in other therapies. This kind is much more about building trust and a feeling of safety and helping me figure out how to stop dissociating all the time.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »

There is actually a growing collection of studies that indicate a ketogenic diet could be used to treat a wide array of neurological disorders.

There is also some compelling evidence that your gut microbiome, which is really only affected by your diet in adulthood, could be largely responsible for your mood and even aspects of your personality.

Hell, one of the original purposes of the ketogenic diet was for its neurological benefits.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten the 'high' that some do or even extra clarity while fasting or keto-ing or taking MCT. Never had a gut microbiome issue (except that I have celiac disease but that's different). It's mainly about taking off slowly gained weight since I got fibromyalgia several years ago.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I had an energy boost way back when I began this woe (2 1/2 years ago now which amazes me!) but it hasn't been since the first few weeks.