breakfast meal prep

Options
mjtaylor87
mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
I love to meal prep. i have been having issues finding good breakfast things to meal prep that are low carb. right now i have been doing over night oat meats : 1/4c old fashioned oats 1/4 c carb master yogurt 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk and then my choice of add ons : berries, bananas, cinnamon, honey, ect. but the base alone is 14 carbs even without the add ins. anyone have any low carb make ahead breakfasts they like?

Replies

• getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind cold foods, you can boil some eggs the night before and de-shell and pop into the fridge. I like to slice in half lengthwise, dig out the yolks and do a curried egg type thing. I mash the yolks with mayonnaise and curry paste and soon back into the egg halves.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    There is nothing quicker nor more Low Carb friendly than eggs and bacon, thats all I do. If you dont mind being boring and I dont this is pretty simple and there is no prep. Oats have too many carbs to be in my diet.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    bananas and honey are also not a good low carb choice. but hey if it fits your macros - go for it.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this tastes like as I literally just Googled it but I just bought some flax meal and plain Greek yogurt at Aldi and I may need to try it. I don't have the protein powder, though. http://the-lowcarb-diet.com/low-carb-overnight-flax-meal/
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you want something to prep, try these:

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/bacon-egg-cups/

or these:

http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-wrapped-cheddar-egg-bites-486479

I could easily eat these hot or cold.

Personally, I generally just have hard boiled eggs when I eat breakfast. These are the kinds of things that are more of a special occasion.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this tastes like as I literally just Googled it but I just bought some flax meal and plain Greek yogurt at Aldi and I may need to try it. I don't have the protein powder, though. http://the-lowcarb-diet.com/low-carb-overnight-flax-meal/

I've been eating Greek yogurt with flaxseed meal for a few years. I usually add blueberries or raspberries. It is one thing that has remained from my "weight loss diet" for heart, cholesterol, etc. I've never been a HUGE fan of meat so Greek Yogurt was always a great way to get in protein. When I ate keto it used up nearly all my carbs so I made just a small portion and I ate it less frequently. I've never put protein powder in the mix just because I'm not a fan of protein powder. Never found one I liked (taste).

I like what flaxseed meal does to the texture of yogurt. It sort of thickens it and it really has no taste. The overnight version may create a taste since it seems it would soften the flaxseed meal. The overnight version should definitely help with not having to flick those little pieces of flaxseed meal from the roof of my mouth. They stick...

Not sure why I'm posting this other than to say as soon as I'm done typing, I'm going to go put some flaxseed meal (and raspberries) in the remainder of yogurt in the refrigerator and see what it is like in the morning. Thanks!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts are awesome in Greek yogourt too. High in protein and fats (1tbsp has 3.3 g protein, 4.3 g fat, 1g carb and 1 g fiber). Tastes creamy, nutty, delicious.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mjtaylor87 wrote: »
    I love to meal prep. i have been having issues finding good breakfast things to meal prep that are low carb. right now i have been doing over night oat meats : 1/4c old fashioned oats 1/4 c carb master yogurt 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk and then my choice of add ons : berries, bananas, cinnamon, honey, ect. but the base alone is 14 carbs even without the add ins. anyone have any low carb make ahead breakfasts they like?

In my book, there is no such thing as a 'breakfast thing'.
    I eat roast chicken for breakfast, just as comfortably as I would eat bacon.
    I eat salmon sashimi for breakfast just as comfortably as I would eat kippers.
    I eat paleo mayo just as comfortably as I would eat boiled eggs.

No Low-carb High protein/fat food is off limits.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    If you don't mind cold foods, you can boil some eggs the night before and de-shell and pop into the fridge. I like to slice in half lengthwise, dig out the yolks and do a curried egg type thing. I mash the yolks with mayonnaise and curry paste and soon back into the egg halves.

I already do this for my lunches at work :)
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    There is nothing quicker nor more Low Carb friendly than eggs and bacon, thats all I do. If you dont mind being boring and I dont this is pretty simple and there is no prep. Oats have too many carbs to be in my diet.

I have been tring to do that in the mornings but my mornings are too busy to baby sit eggs and bacon on the stove. I am not a morning person and neither are my 2 year old and 4 year old that i have to get up and off to day care before work at 7 am. that is why i like to do meal preps. i do them on sundays and have them for the whole week. i can mix 5 jars of over night oats and then each morning i just grab and go
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    bananas and honey are also not a good low carb choice. but hey if it fits your macros - go for it.

I know it was just an example. but every now and then i make me a banana and peanut butter one just for days that i know i have done really good :)
  • mjtaylor87
    Options

I hope it works for you. I have never done any of the flax stuff. i also cant stand greek yogurt. I use Kroger's carb master yogurt. it tastes amazing with only 5 carbs lol. you got to try new things to see what you like
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    If you want something to prep, try these:

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/bacon-egg-cups/

or these:

http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-wrapped-cheddar-egg-bites-486479

I could easily eat these hot or cold.

Personally, I generally just have hard boiled eggs when I eat breakfast. These are the kinds of things that are more of a special occasion.

I found some of these in my searching last night and i think im going to try to make them sunday for next week. they do look very good. ill try to remember to post how it went :)
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    mjtaylor87 wrote: »

In my book, there is no such thing as a 'breakfast thing'.
    I eat roast chicken for breakfast, just as comfortably as I would eat bacon.
    I eat salmon sashimi for breakfast just as comfortably as I would eat kippers.
    I eat paleo mayo just as comfortably as I would eat boiled eggs.

No Low-carb High protein/fat food is off limits.

oh i agree but i have to admit that breakfast foods are my weakness. expesally fast food breakfast sandwich. an i know me if i dont fit those breakfast foods in then i will start uncontrollably craving the unhealthy ones. so i make breakfast for dinner once a week and oat meal to go for breakfasts and bacon for llunch just to help keep those cravings away
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The Greek yogurt /flaxseed/ raspberry mix was tasty! No real flavor to the flax. Overnight it gave the mix a sort of gel-like consistency. I've tried flaxseed meal in hot stuff like steel cut oats and never cared for the consistency (sort of slimy) but cold, in yogurt=like!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The Greek yogourts I buy are so thick that I don't quite know how flax would work in that. They are more like cheesecake (maybe it's the 10 and 11% fat that does it) and you can stand a metal teaspoon up in them (not quite like a DairyQueen Blizzard though, that can be turned upside down :o )
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I prep yogurt "parfaits" with Greek yogurt and berries, add in extra protein powder if needed (I'll often have a few ounces of leftover meat alongside it). If you make it in a wide-mouth Mason jar you can use a stick blender to make it a smoothie.

I prep 4 or 5 at a time, more than that and the berries will mold.

Leftover dinner in a reheatable dish is quick and easy too. And easy to track.