Not sure about this comment

Options
123sind
123sind Posts: 80 Member
Just seen this website http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/the-truth-about-carbs.aspx .if i was to follower their information then i would be in hospital by now .Before i came of carbs and only kept my intake to around 5%, i was always poorly in my tummy and bowls i suffer with ulcerative colitis, since i have come of all bad carbs i have not had any flare ups and my constipation has gone, All i can say follower what your body says to you.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I gave it one star. And look at the number of views and the overall rating. I think people have largely made up their own minds it's frankly mostly hogwash.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ - Want to provide some insight?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read past the "healthy whole grains and fiber are good for you" BS! ;)

I am definitely in the Listen To Your Body camp. I've had the best gut health I've ever experienced in my life since cutting out all fiber. I've had issues since I was about 8 years old. Had my gall bladder removed when I was 16 due to over 100 stones and have had IBS since long before that. It took about 2 years of gall bladder attacks before they even figured out what was wrong with me since they never in a million years expected someone so young to have gall stones!

Anyway, if you're interested in some reading about fiber, I'd start with these.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2006/08/30/is-increased-fiber-intake-really-a-good-thing/

http://highsteaks.com/fiber/

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/fiber/

And I have a PDF of the book The Fiber Menace if you're interested in that.

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks @sunny_bunny_
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @nikoba - thank you. It's actually a throwback picture from 5 years ago yesterday. I went to get my divorce signed off on by the judge, and I had to rock it and show my ex what he'd given up. LOL I hate my hair that short and having it in my face gets me overheated and nearly triggers panic attacks it is so bad. I nearly always wear it up. But thanks all the same!! :) I'm happy to have lost quite a bit of my puffiness in the last 5 years, even if not more weight.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Anyway, if you're interested in some reading about fiber, I'd start with these.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2006/08/30/is-increased-fiber-intake-really-a-good-thing/

http://highsteaks.com/fiber/

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/fiber/

And I have a PDF of the book The Fiber Menace if you're interested in that.

Many of us do feel better eating more rather than less fiber, and some credible scientists contend that fiber is generally (though not universally) beneficial for gut health......

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    123sind wrote: »
    Just seen this website http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/the-truth-about-carbs.aspx .if i was to follower their information then i would be in hospital by now .Before i came of carbs and only kept my intake to around 5%, i was always poorly in my tummy and bowls i suffer with ulcerative colitis, since i have come of all bad carbs i have not had any flare ups and my constipation has gone, All i can say follower what your body says to you.

I'm a celiac. I was undiagnosed for over 35 years. Constant constipation to the point that when my BMs improved, I thought it was the runs. I used to focus on fibre sooo much. Fibre 1 cereal (tasted like sticks) with my skim milk. Ate my veggies and lots of whole grain foods. I also took multiple fibre capsules and drank fibre drinks. I did it because it was supposed to help (it didn't) but I didn't stop because I was worried about how it would get worse. LOL

Now? The fewer carbs, and fibre, the better. Carnivore seems to agree with me the most but it isn't how I want to eat forever.

I know there are people out there who do great on lots of grains and low fat, but I am not one of them. I dislike them telling everyone to eat that way in such absolute terms. I doubt lower fat and lots of grains is good for many people beyond their 20's anyways.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Amen. Fiber 1 is Frankenfood in my book. :s

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle it also helps if you provide links to legit published studies in science journals, too.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm waiting for them to come back to me with some kind of a response. If it's a disclaimer, it will be like blowing at a gale.
    If on the other hand, they surprise me and seek clarification, I will be happy to enter into correspondence with them.
    Being the NHS, I suspect - and expect - the former.
    The NHS thrives on self-justification and excuses.
    Given that it's haemorrhaging money faster than any surgeon could staunch the flow, they're more interested in profit than patients.
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Churchill might (accurately) have described this tiresome NHS hatchet job as a türd wrapped in vomit inside an enema.... :dizzy:
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I would say that's pretty accurate. If a little nauseating as a mental image.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The EatWell article is typical standard healthy food talk. It's right about sugars. It's right that carbs include vegetables etc. It's a bit shallow with low-glycemic eating. It mindlessly falls into track 30% complex carbs. It ignores current studies about benefits of fats. It is information what I would expect to find in a store-rack magazine.

Until eating far few carbs and eating more fats, becomes mainstream... thank goodness for MFP LCHF and related Groups, where we share new scientific studies and podcasts of new findings.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Regarding fiber: I always read the articles with interest and with the thought I might learn something new. I've pretty much determined I'll eat what I eat believing it is best for me and keep an open mind. I have no need (that I am aware of) to not eat fiber. I like fiber containing foods and think they/fiber offer some value to my health.

I am fortunately able to eat either a low fiber diet or a high fiber diet with no observable difference. If ever that changes and it very well may, I am hopeful there will be a remedy available to fix the problem versus restrict foods.

I am aware restriction might be the only option available to some folks. I've not heavily researched gut biomes but my personal research leans towards "good" bacteria thriving on fiber so I'll continue eating fiber to keep the thrive alive...mostly because nothing seems "broken" regarding my current ways.

I concur with @nvmomketo regarding "telling everyone to eat that way in such absolute terms". It gets rather "old". Both sides of the coin. Always something new to ponder though...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss can I just say your new profile pic and haircut is beautiful! Love it!

^^^^ This

Such a lovely new profile pic.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss can I just say your new profile pic and haircut is beautiful! Love it!

^^^^ This

Such a lovely new profile pic.

I thought the same thing. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 - re: fibre... same for me, no difference if I am eating 5g or 50g. As long as I stay away from fibre based on wheat and similar grains (celiac). But I also appreciate we are all different and 'ya just gotta find what works for ya.'