Any success stories on conceiving?

Replies

• meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    I had a miscarriage about 2.5 years ago and we had no luck conceiving again afterwards until this year.

Going low-carb was the key for me. It really helped get my blood sugar under control and decrease overall inflammation. I was actually doing the hCG diet and had dropped to no more than 40 grams of carbs per day but wasn't planning on getting pregnant. Caveat: I'm a licensed naturopathic doctor, so I have a lot of experience with using it safely and effectively - it's NOT something I recommend people do without proper medical oversight.

I fell pregnant about 4 weeks into the diet and it was a delightful surprise. I kept my diet low-carb (no more than 90g per day) all throughout my first trimester and my ob/gyn put me on a very low dose of levo-thyroxine (TSH levels should be below 2.0 for optimal fertility and maintenance of pregnancy and mine was consistently around 5.99).

As others have said above - find a doctor who really listens to you and gets to know your specific biochemistry. Everyone is different, however following a low-carb diet, decreasing dairy and maintaining a healthy weight and blood sugar are all very beneficial to a majority of PCO patients.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I had a son 9 years ago when I was very young. I did the responsible thing and waited until I was stable and married to try for baby #2. I had some worries that I would regret not trying sooner. Got married in 2014 and TTC for 2 years.

Doctor put me on Clomid last winter as I was not ovulating and it only triggered ovulation 2 times in 6 months. I asked him about metformin and he said that it was pointless because I was already on Spironolactone to regulate hormones. Well I basically gave up. I went to an endocrinologist because of PCOS and prediabetes and she prescribed metformin for blood sugar control in the middle of June. I just got my BFP! I was so caught off guard because we had basically stopped trying. I had to have my husband read the tests for me because I couldn't believe it! Estimate just now hitting 6 weeks tomorrow.
  • starladustangel
    starladustangel Posts: 9 Member
    My son I got pregnant unplanned with no intervention. I had him at 29.

We started trying for another baby when he was a year old with no success. When he was 2 I was told by my doctor I had a 3% chance of getting pregnant on my own thanks to PCOS. Due to finances and my son having developmental delays we didn't pursue fertility treatment. We kept trying on our own off and on until he was 5.

I was 34 in the spring of 2015. We had been trying metformin and vitex to no avail. I felt my biological clock ticking. July 2015 I did my first cycle of fertility medication. I was on Femara plus timed intercourse and it worked. I got a positive pregnancy test at 10 dpo 7/14/15. Unfortunately I miscarried at the end of August.

I had an unsuccessful femara cycle in October.

I did a combo of femara, ubiquinol, metformin, prenatal vitamins and myoinositol. 12/4/15 which was a week before my 35th birthday I got a bfp at 11 dpo. Betas were good and I was on progesterone supplements. 1/9/16 we had a 9 week ultrasound which showed a healthy fetus and heartbeat. Due to being advanced maternal age at 35, I had Harmony testing done and found out I was having a healthy baby girl at 13 weeks. I gave birth 8/9/16 to my precious daughter and with two children our family is complete.

The only downside is that having her derailed my weight loss progress and I weigh over 300 pounds for first time in my life. But due to fertility declining with age I have no regrets having her when I did. I'm now 36 and can concentrate on getting healthy without worrying about my biological clock.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    We were TTC for about 2 years. I had a child 9 years prior. My doctor had me on spironolactone and we did 6 rounds of clomid without success. I asked him about metformin several times and he said it probably wouldn't do anything that we haven't already tried. I decided to see a Endocrinologist and explained that we had been TTC for 2 years and she started me on metformin. I was pregnant literally 30 days later!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    That is fantastic!! Just goes to show, never stop trying and always follow your instincts. You definitely could be wrong, but our bodies really do talk to use! Congrats, @fbmandy55 - and all of you!!!
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    I have 2 children, my doctor prescribed Glucophage metformin for 1st pregnancy. It happened within months of taking it. For second pregnancy i used the book "Taking control of your fertility". I read it and started tracking my cycle. Got pregnant within 2 months. There was 4 year between kids. I wasn't using any birth control so was worried I may not have a 2nd child. The book was amazing.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Wife has this. First child was natural, 5 years later and 3 years of IVF, baby girl is coming around Thanksgiving.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Congrats, @Calichusetts ! Here's to an easy time of the rest of it!
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Congrats, @Calichusetts ! Here's to an easy time of the rest of it!

Thanks. Tell that to my five year old. Haha.
  • noolz
    noolz Posts: 9 Member
    Hey girlies i have an 8 yr old and 6 month old twins!! What did it for me was 3500 mg of metformin yes you heard right i was so sick on it and it was awful but i stuck it out and it boosted my ovulation and im happy because i have my twins cuz of it x
  • KnitOrMiss
    Congrats, @noolz !!! Twins... So amazing...

And @Calichusetts - I know better than to attempt to argue with ANY 5 year old! LOL
  • Twinkleeeeeeeee80
    Twinkleeeeeeeee80 Posts: 43 Member
    edited November 2017
    Thank you everyone for sharing.... I am about to start my first round of clomid, trigger shots, and progesterone end of November. Had miscarriage early last August at 9 months (stopped at 6 months). For some reason I feel stronger now going into this, the first time I got pregnant it really caught me off guard. I think it is because I have lost some weight and changed my lifestyle to accomodate my pcos and for the first time I have a good team of doctors with some experience in pcos. Per my endo I'll be monitoring my blood sugar and diet and exercize as if I already have gestational diabetes going into pregnancy. I would say that progesterone is going to be key. My infertility doctor is going to monitor exactly when the fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall and then have me do progesterone suppositories immediately. Last time my crappy doctor said I don't have to test unless there is a history of miscarriage or spotting. One thing I will say is once there is spotting and your progesterone is low my new good doctors said it is already too late. So it is a good idea to have a plan with progesterone and careful monitoring going into pregnancy. Not all pregnancies are successful naturally, but I think it is better to do everything you can. I mean why not test progesterone? I was very upset that I was not tested early on the first time. They need to add PCOS to the list of reasons to test in addition to history of miscarriage and spotting, in my opinion.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    just wanted to give a quick update. I am in the 11 week now, just had another scan today and all is looking good so far. We had pretty much used up a lot of possible assistance and managed to conceive via IVF. Still a bit early, but looking at our past history, this is so far the furthest we managed to go :-)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Good luck! It's nice seeing rainbow and sticky babies starting to show up on this post! <3
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Congrats and good luck!! Still trying here
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    thank you ladies :-)
    @leanne hope you will soon be successful too
  • FaceYourFears77
    FaceYourFears77 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm so happy I joined this group, it gives me so much hope that I will become a mum one day. We only started trying to conceive in last year and I've been pregnant twice in the last 6 months but Unfortunately i miscarried both times. I've always had very irregular period sometimes every three months but in the last year I've been taking some tablets called Inofert that have helped reducing the cycle lenght, now I'm between 35-40 days. However, having to shed some weight (BMI 34) I've been prescribed Metformin in the hope that will serve both purposes of adjust ovulation and lose weight. Fingers crossed it will work. Good luck to everyone going through the same journey.
  • KnitOrMiss
    @FaceYourFears77 - Do you know if they tested your progesterone levels before your miscarriages? They are supposed to rise dramatically during the first days/weeks, and it is one of the things that is a huge contributing factor to PCOS miscarriages to my understanding...

That and if you are borderline or low with thyroid function, for the first 3-5 months, the mother's thyroid hormone must work for both mother and baby, and if there isn't enough (a healthy thyroid will adapt and produce more as is needed), it can cause miscarriage there, too. (Autoimmune thyroid issues can actually cause the mother's body to attack the baby, too.)

I mean, we all know that there are SO MANY miscarriage triggers, but for us with PCOS, these are the ones I hear about over and over and over again. I know of at least two ladies from this group, one recently delivered, and one about midway through, who were able to carry a baby past that major risk zone due to adding progesterone during early pregnancy...

So it's worth researching, if you don't already know the causes of your losses (which my heart goes out to you!). I don't know if the 77 in your name is your birth year, but you might take some solace from the fact that @stacicali discovered that apparently, for us PCOS ladies (at least, I don't know if in general) fertility INCREASES after 40!

All the hugs and well wishes...

@Alliwan @Twinkleeeeeeeee80 Others!!! Please chime in if y'all have any advice to add...
    93639 Posts: 3 Member
    The girl in my picture is my 18 year old daughter who graduates high school this weekend. We conceived using Clomid. I also followed a lot of other tips like holding my labia closed after and moving to a pillow. We did use Robitussin with guafenesin in it to help thin my mucus secretions. We were successful on my fourth round.