The Keto Life Intro

Options
run2lose45
run2lose45 Posts: 27 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
My name is Jess and I'm on day 3 of my keto revolution.

Day 1 Start Weight: 182
Current Weight: 179

Macro goals:
70% F, 20% P, 10% C // 93g F, 60g P, 15g Net C

Favorite Recipe of the Week:
Cheesecake Fluff
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1/2 C heavy whipping cream
1/4 C coconut milk
1 tsp coconut extract
2 packets of truvia

Whip it all together and top with a crunchy nut or seed (I like raw pumpkin seeds or sliced almonds). Note: I don't make it overly sweet, but add more truvia or your choice of sweetener to bump that up.

Serving size: 1/3 cup of fluff and a sprinkle of crunch
Nutrition info dependant on your version/ingredients.

Will be posting weekly with updates/favorite Recipe of the week. Share yours and let's Keto together! Feel free to add friend!

Replies

• run2lose45
    Options
    Hi Charissa! I completely understand about the fear of starting a high fat diet. I was skeptical last week when I started and told myself that if I gained any weight, I was going straight to the gym and blowing this off! I'm at day 6 now and down 6lbs. Can't argue with results so I'll keep going! I need to walk more for sure but I've been waiting for this "flu" to happen. So far, nothing. Something I read suggested eating some salty foods (I chose pickles) to combat headaches that would happen. I'm so excited to see what your results are in a few weeks! Just remember that if the scale moves slightly up or doesn't move, don't get discouraged. I'm planning on doing a high fat fast day if it does for me (calories to 500 net). Intermittent fasting worked in the past for me, but this will be the first time I go high fat with it. Should work the same, caloric deficit is what loses lbs. High fat just trains to take those lbs from stored fat. If you have any questions or need motivation, let me know! Congrats again on your beginning!
  • c_lopez49
    c_lopez49 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ashleyseville1I will check out ketoconnect
  • catherinmcaulay
    catherinmcaulay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I started keto a couple of days ago, and while I'm failing, I'm failing a little less each day. I'm unsure about the amount of fat - that seems to be very hard to guy unless I have a lot of coffee with cream. I'm also transitioning off a dependance on sugar, and that is hard. Every day is a little better though. Even better, this is a way.of eating that I think I can get my husband into. The low carbs may be an issue for him though....
  • Effervescent17
    Effervescent17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Catherine if you are extremely overweight like in the obese BMI range don't worry as much about fat because then it will take energy from your fat storage. If you need to get more fat in because you are in the 50-60 g range though I would highly suggest coconut oil or MCT oil. Add it to your coffee that has better fat than cream. Also just add butter to your foods, butter is great tasting and it makes it easy!!! As for sugar cut it off by the legs. If you can do sugar free substitutes I would go that route IF IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU CRAVE MORE. I'm very fortunate that it doesn't make me crave sugar so I'm able to do sugar free. As for your husband he has to want to do it, you can't force him. There are people in my life that I wish would do keto but it is something that's difficult and the sugar with drawls are brutal the first week. Just stick to it. It is worth it I promise you! Make sure to get in enough electrolytes, make sure to get magnesium supplements, and maybe some b12 if you are low on energy!
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 4,209 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for about a month. I was never too concerned with fat or thought much of it. My biggest concern was the no more rice, bread, potatoes, or pasta. That was KILLER for me. I really thought I was going to have a SUPER hard time but it's actually been pretty easy. So you can do it!! I'm like if I can do this just about anyone can, because I was a hardcore carboloader. Like everyday every freaking meal was carbs carbs carbs!!! One of my favorite recipes is probably Keto friendly PIZZA!!!

-Low carb tortilla
    -1 TBSP tomato paste
    -1/2 C of Mozzarella cheese
    -1 oz of pepperoni

Put it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 and it's done!! I usually make it with a side of veggies or a salad!

You can only really do it though if you are counting net carbs and not carbs because it's about 12.5 net carbs. So usually on Pizza day for me I will eat mostly meaty stuff the rest of the my day to keep my net carb count under 25.

There's a low carb tortilla!! Oh my
  • itladyee
    Options
    Hi guys. I started keto a couple of days ago, and while I'm failing, I'm failing a little less each day. I'm unsure about the amount of fat - that seems to be very hard to guy unless I have a lot of coffee with cream. I'm also transitioning off a dependance on sugar, and that is hard. Every day is a little better though. Even better, this is a way.of eating that I think I can get my husband into. The low carbs may be an issue for him though....

So being new to this...here's what I did.

I focused on not eating any obvious carbs. Then I made sure that I stayed at or below my protein and carb limits. I also limit my calories to 1200 to 1400. The fat just seems to work out. I use keto friendly recipes and it's working pretty well.

There is no such thing as failure. Don't look at it that way. Each day that you do better is a win! You got this!
  • Effervescent17
    Options
    itladyee if you are ever still hungry with your calorie limit just make sure to know it's okay to eat more. There are days I will eat 1800 calories and I still lose weight. Just make sure to always eat till you are full, because it helps ALOT with cravings when you are satiated. Most days I'm under my calorie count because I fast weekly but there are days where I am just hungry and I just eat! lol.
  • itladyee
    Options
    itladyee if you are ever still hungry with your calorie limit just make sure to know it's okay to eat more. There are days I will eat 1800 calories and I still lose weight. Just make sure to always eat till you are full, because it helps ALOT with cravings when you are satiated. Most days I'm under my calorie count because I fast weekly but there are days where I am just hungry and I just eat! lol.

Thanks for the tips!
  • run2lose45
    Options
    Lots of water helps too between meals. I'm drinking about 16-32 oz between each meal and it helps with cravings.
  • run2lose45
    Options
    My appetite has been decreasing with keto. I do IF. I eat all my meals in an 8 he period. I do have BPC every morning. There are mixed feelings about it breaking the fast, but it works for me.

Ketoconnect.com is an amazing website for recipes.

Here is one for Keto Naan! It is sooo good!

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/low-carb-naan/

Glad to be in the group.

I'm going to have to try that recipe this weekend! I love naan!
  • run2lose45
    Options
    So, almost 2 weeks and watching everything I eat. I have to say though, this has been quite a satisfying change. I'm not overly hungry throughout the day and I have been figuring out some creative meals (tonight was bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with brie.. amazing). If I get a sweet tooth I've been whipping up some marscapone cheese with whipping cream, pumpkin pie spice, and a packet of truvia. Gets the craving satisfied and bonus with the extra fats. I've stayed at or below my calories (1200).

Day 1 Start Weight: 182
    Current Weight: 174

Macro goals:
    70% F, 20% P, 10% C // 93g F, 60g P, 15g Net C

I do weigh myself daily dispite reading not to, but other than one day of no weight change, I'm still motivated every time I see the number. I just keep focusing on the next target (getting to the 160s) and it's working. So far no "keto flu" or other negative side effects.

I hope everyone is having great luck with it! Don't be deterred if the weight doesn't change. Just add an extra 20 minute walk to it and keep going. Keep on Keto'ing!
  • itladyee
    Options
    run2lose45 wrote: »

I do weigh myself daily dispite reading not to,

I weight daily as well. I have to... it keeps me on track!!!
  • IfAtFurst
    IfAtFurst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I could strap scales to my feet and weigh myself 24/7 I would! :smiley: Up or down, it is motivating!

Day 1 start weight - 196.6
    Day 14 - 188.4
  • itladyee
    Options
    IfAtFurst wrote: »

Day 14 - 188.4

Impressive weight loss!! Keep up the good work!
  • run2lose45
    Options
    IfAtFurst wrote: »
    If I could strap scales to my feet and weigh myself 24/7 I would! :smiley: Up or down, it is motivating!

Day 14 - 188.4

Way to go!!
  • Pip_squeak83
    Pip_squeak83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Previously I was on Primal Blueprint and just recently made the conversion to Keto. I'm on day 3 and the only problem I've had thus far was finding enough fat to eat without adding carbs and protein. I found a recipe for a fat bomb I like to fix this. I've already lost about 2lbs of water weight. Waiting for the fat burning to start................

Goals: Carbs 5% (49g) / Protein 20% (108g) / Fat 75% (214g)

Weight: 327 seeking 250-260
  • Effervescent17
    Options
    Previously I was on Primal Blueprint and just recently made the conversion to Keto. I'm on day 3 and the only problem I've had thus far was finding enough fat to eat without adding carbs and protein. I found a recipe for a fat bomb I like to fix this. I've already lost about 2lbs of water weight. Waiting for the fat burning to start................

Goals: Carbs 5% (49g) / Protein 20% (108g) / Fat 75% (214g)

Weight: 327 seeking 250-260

Yeah it can be hard finding enough fat to get in. Just look up fat rich foods and try to get those in. Looks like you will be doing good though! Gratz on the 2 lbs even though it's water. It's still something!!! Hope you go strong!