What exercise do you like to do?

Options
13»

Replies

• swheeler86
    swheeler86 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Another question! I'm a pretty avid runner- I trained for and managed to run a 15k at 22 weeks pregnant, but in the last 7 weeks, I'm struggling to keep up with even 5ks. I start out ok, but not even a mile in and my belly feels really tight/hard and the baby feels like it gets heavier as the run goes on. Sometimes this happens too if I'm on the elliptical for 6+ miles. Thoughts?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options
    swheeler86 wrote: »
    Hey ladies! Another question! I'm a pretty avid runner- I trained for and managed to run a 15k at 22 weeks pregnant, but in the last 7 weeks, I'm struggling to keep up with even 5ks. I start out ok, but not even a mile in and my belly feels really tight/hard and the baby feels like it gets heavier as the run goes on. Sometimes this happens too if I'm on the elliptical for 6+ miles. Thoughts?

I think it just is what it is. Alot of women get round ligament pain during exercise as baby and uterus get bigger and moves more forward. Do what you feel comfortable with, but I don't think there is really anything to be done about it. It seems like most women find running too uncomfortable as they approach the 3rd trimester, there are a few rock stars who run till the end, but that's not the norm. I get this feeling if I walk right after eating, or am trying to hurry somewhere sometimes. Other times not, I don't really know how it decides when it will do it.
  • aljudkin
    aljudkin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I ran through my second pregnancy. Have you tried a belly support band? It should help. But it just comes with the territory that you will slow down as you get bigger!
  • swheeler86
    Options
    aljudkin wrote: »
    I ran through my second pregnancy. Have you tried a belly support band? It should help. But it just comes with the territory that you will slow down as you get bigger!

I haven't. I've been using K tape, which has seemed to help a lot, but now that my belly skin is stretching, it leaves marks for days after I peel it off. I guess with this being my first pregnancy, I was just looking for the "this is normal" vs "you might be experiencing contractions and should slow it down".
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @swheeler86 Does it continue after exercise or just uncomfortable while moving?
  • wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have started doing 30 squats a day. In a couple of weeks I want to move up to 50. Then steadily increase.
  • swheeler86
    Options
    @swheeler86 Does it continue after exercise or just uncomfortable while moving?

It varies, but I usually stay tight/heavy for a good 20 minutes after.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do one or two beachbody power half hour with Tony Horton videos a day. I modify it when I cant push through the regular moves. It's helped me dramatically with several problems that my pregnancy negatively affected.
  • wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are there any exercises that help with preparing with labor? I have been doing squats (if nothing else at least my butt will be firm and perky I hope). I want to do ab exercises to also help with labor and keep my abs in good shape afterwards.
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying BodyPump at the gym. I need to do something on my off days though. Maybe a yoga DVD.
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    wantoldme wrote: »
    Are there any exercises that help with preparing with labor? I have been doing squats (if nothing else at least my butt will be firm and perky I hope). I want to do ab exercises to also help with labor and keep my abs in good shape afterwards.

Great question. I'd also like to do exercises to prepare for labour. I've heard keegal exercises are good for labour and after the birth. Not sure if you can do ab/core exercises while pregnant to help prepare for labour?
  • aljudkin
    aljudkin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    phreekles wrote: »

Great question. I'd also like to do exercises to prepare for labour. I've heard keegal exercises are good for labour and after the birth. Not sure if you can do ab/core exercises while pregnant to help prepare for labour?

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/abs-exercises

I have also recently heard of a prenatal Pilates program. Something to look in to!
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    aljudkin wrote: »
    phreekles wrote: »

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/abs-exercises

I have also recently heard of a prenatal Pilates program. Something to look in to!

These are perfect thank you! I'm going to try them this evening once the little ones gone to bed!
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I teach a circuit training class 3x/week and a step class 1x/week. At home I do Beachbody workouts. I'm 10 weeks pregnant with #4 & just started PiYo. :)
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Started a deepwater fitness class at the Y, also doing some circuits on Jilliam Michaels No More Trouble Zones and walking.
    I was previously doing Insanity and ChaLean Extreme, might get back to ChaLean but I think I will shelf Isanity for now, I just am not up to all that jumping, lol
  • gidjinswife
    gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 weeks now. I loved Body Pump for the first half of my pregnancy. I think had some issues and quit exercising all together. Today I went to water aerobics and feel great now. I also enjoy this video https://spinningbabies.com/product/daily-essentials/ and am planning on it doing more often now that I'm getting close. Maybe it'll help baby be in a better position this time around (all my others have been "sunny side up" and turned last minute).