Sleeping better?

Options
crashdolly
crashdolly Posts: 19 Member
Any low carbers out there notice they sleep better? I used to struggle to sleep but I'm on my first week of LCHF this week and noticing I'm tired at bed time (10.30 - 11.00pm I'm yawning), instead of wide awake all night, then I'm awake and up early without any grogginess. Today I was up at 6.20 wide awake with no alarm and got up to get stuff done. Normally I'd be clinging to my sheets and telling the dawn chorus to f*** off! I knew this diet could change a lot of things in my life but I didn't expect that one, or for it to be so obvious!

I'm 10 pounds down in my first week btw, and LOVING it :)

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! This woe changes our lives in ways we would never expect! The healing of the body by giving it what it needs is amazing for each of us! Hang on because it only gets better!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    No question I have been sleeping better, but I'm also putting this down to better levels of drinking (water, I hasten to add!) and increased salt/sodium intake.... Which pretty much goes hand in hand with Keto.....
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I always felt I slept better when lc'ing but since i've had a fitbit i see that it's not actually the case(assuming one trusts that their fitbit is accurately calculating sleep time, which I do). i chalk it up to feeling more rested due to the steady energy levels that i have, but that's just me.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's not the keto/lc per se that allows for better sleep. It's usually attributed to the fact that being overfat (usually induced by poor nutrient density foods) does cause dysregulation in metabolism and circadian rhythm. When people adopt a new nutrition plan, the usual result is that better food choices are made, weight loss occurs as a result, and circadian rhythm gets entrained as we follow a more scheduled routine of eating, as opposed to spontaneous feeding.

That said, my sleep quality has been the same since leaning out 6 years ago and is chronically disturbed, but overall it is still better than when I was obese. No more sleep apnea/snoring/mid-day sleepiness, etc.
  • candiigraham
    candiigraham Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My sleep is much better with Keto, especially after being diagnosed with unexplained insomnia. I am considered obese...5'5" 200#'s, but my doctors were baffled. Labs came back normal, MRI - normal, sleep study-normal. Been Keto since March 1st. 20#'s down, dr. thining of taking me off bp in 6 months. Best sleep of my life.
  • crashdolly
    crashdolly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses guys, it's definitely something to think about and for now I'm gonna enjoy the new feeling! X
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I find that I sleep better because things just hurt less. Before, back and wrist pain would have me changing position many times a night, but now I find I'm sleeping in longer blocks - according to my fitbit, anyway!