Heavy Whipping Cream brands

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Just had some "Kroger" heavy whipping cream!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    <Blimp>
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Here's Cornucopia's guide to avoiding dairy products with carageenan:
    https://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/

And here's its ranking of dairies:
    https://www.cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html

Note the dismal rating for Horizon....
    Maple Hill and Organic Valley fare much better.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    For some reason my taste for massive amounts of calories from fats as dropped off. I dropped from 6 down to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and now use half and half vs HWC but the much lower price for half and half was a real factor plus it comes in half gallon containers with a screw cap pour spout. I can only get half and half at McDonalds. :)

My weight is slowly dropping due to cutting my fat intake by mouth and burning some of my old body fat. I still holding carbs just under 50 grams most days.

I think the Walmart HWC may have contained carrageenan but their Half and Half does to mention it on the label. I realized reading the 5 year old link below that I actually use my cream to lower the temperature of my coffee hence why I can get so many calories from just my creamer choice.

lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=779938
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Thanks for the link to the article! Very informative! I was not aware of this! On the lookout now.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have been using half n half because of the cheaper price and the ingredients are just milk and cream. My grocery outlet has Humboldt organic half n half in the quart size for $2. My question is HWC is that a better option for putting in my black tea? I add like 6 TBSP a day. Everyone seems to be on the HWC bandwagon, what is the reason? Thanks, looking forward to being schooled...
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @dawnz75 at first I thought HF stood super High Fat then I learned in my case if I was going to get rid of my belly fat stored over the past 25 years I needed to burn it and count those calories as part of the Fat in my micro. While I like to drink HWC straight it stills count as calories. :)

Not sure why but when I cut back on my FAT % it was easier to keep my ketone level higher.

• lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My Hy-Vee brand had it, of course!
    After reading this, switched to Andersen Erickson brand! Thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    I have been using half n half because of the cheaper price and the ingredients are just milk and cream. My grocery outlet has Humboldt organic half n half in the quart size for $2. My question is HWC is that a better option for putting in my black tea? I add like 6 TBSP a day. Everyone seems to be on the HWC bandwagon, what is the reason? Thanks, looking forward to being schooled...

I use half n half because calories still matter and I have belly fat to lose. One day, I'll be more in a weight maintenance mode and hwc might be a better fit for me then. Something to look forward to I guess. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »

@dawnz75 - I used cream, because the actual milk part of half and half triggered cravings for me... It's mostly a carb thing, as far as I know, limiting carbs, increasing fats... But it's a very individual choice. My personal opinion is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That being said, listing cream on the ingredients is a way to hide things. Because if you go look at Humboldt Organic Cream, see if there are any extra ingredients on that list... Because you assume cream, the ingredient. They could mean "cream" the recipe. Of course, with it being organic, and a decent brand, I'd think you're more likely safe...
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Here's Cornucopia's guide to avoiding dairy products with carageenan:
    https://www.cornucopia.org/shopping-guide-to-avoiding-organic-foods-with-carrageenan/

And here's its ranking of dairies:

Note the dismal rating for Horizon....
    Maple Hill and Organic Valley fare much better.

FYI, Cornucopia.org's handy scorecard of organic dairies was updated in May 2017 -

Here's a chart of corporate affiliations in the organics business:
    https://www.cornucopia.org/who-owns-organic/
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that (Cornucopia listing). Didn't even know a thing like that existed.
    646flgfe87us.jpg
  • getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    If just concerned about carb content, Land o Lakes has 0 carbs.

@dmariet116 - ALL HWC have 6.4 grams of carbs per cup, or I think it comes out to 0.42 carbs per TBSP. It's up to the manufacturer whether they round up or down or whatever. But the carbs are there regardless of what the label says. That's how most folks get away with saying "zero carbs," whether it is or not. By making the serving size small enough, anything can be reduced to almost "zero" carbs...

I can't get over how it is legal/ok in the USA to state something is "free" of energy or macros. Do things like Coke zero etc also state that? Everything seems well labled here. I cringe when I see people eating these No Cal items, like I've seen a something-farms (Waldo??? Walden?) strawberry jam, peanut butter and other things online. I am sure if you ate the entire thing, it would have some energy in it. Some lady on a facegroup groupat half a jar of some salad dressing they make and everyone was all "LOL it's fine! It has no calories!"

We don't have 'heavy whipping cream', we just have cream. It's 35g-36 of fat per 100ml, and 3-3.3g of carbs per same amount. Doesn't seem to matter what brand. The ingredients all state "Pasteurised cream (from milk) and that's it. never heard of carageenan? Is it a thickening agent?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Thanks for that (Cornucopia listing). Didn't even know a thing like that existed.

Haha. Great snap!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've taken to using whipping cream these days. HWC was getting too hard to find without a bunch of other things in it. I haven't looked through all the brands, but the whipping cream I found at the co-op seems free of additives.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I buy only the very best. M&S West Country Extra Thick Double Cream.

extra+thick.jpg

Realy heavy, delicious and free of anything that is not dairy-related.
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I buy only the very best. M&S West Country Extra Thick Double Cream.

extra+thick.jpg

Realy heavy, delicious and free of anything that is not dairy-related.

Ooooh yummy, I don't have the extra thick very often - usually get the double cream from ALDI - but I also love the clotted cream you can get
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins if you only need cream to cool your coffee... you can brew up a pot and put it in the ice cube tray in the freezer. When you brew a regular hot coffee add one (or more if needed) coffee cubes. Voila!
    Or, you could just let your coffee sit in its mug for a few extra minutes to cool ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @canadjineh I don't like the taste of black coffee . I do like the taste of cream however. Other than my first cup I get my coffee at McDonald's hence the half and half and ice usage. :)
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I get whatever is on sale, I currently have the really big one from Costco and I'm not going to be able to get through it unless I make mountains of Alfredo.