Carb Days

Options
kyubeans
kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
Hey, so I'm doing low carb (under 50g per day) for weight loss and some health reasons (mid-high blood glucose) but I don't have diabetes. For those of you that restrict carbs for non-essential health reasons, do you ever indulge in a day of eating carbs? I am not in keto, so I'm not concerned with knocking myself out of ketosis.

For the past 40 days or so, I've been very strict about my carb and sugar intake. I did allow some slippage here and there for an indulgence, like a corn dog at the state fair, but even on those days stayed below 70 g. There have only really been two or three days like that in the past month+.

The thing I've been craving the most lately has been pizza and ramen. I've tried the cauliflower pizza, the mushroom cap pizzas, the low carb tortilla pizzas, and they haven't satisfied. So yesterday, I decided to give myself a carb day and indulged in pizza for lunch and ramen for dinner, to get it out of my system. I planned it in advance, so I don't have the guilt or feeling of failure. And today, I'm right back to my norm of restricting carbs and following my CICO counts. I feel fine, but I DID notice some gastrointestinal distress later in the day, which only helps me because I'll remember next time that my body did not like it.

Just wondering -- do you set cheat/indulgence/carb days for yourself? If so, how frequently? Have you noticed any ill effects from it? What are the big items you crave or indulge in on these days?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I try and keep to ~ 20g net carbs most of the time. I'm not super strict though, if I have 25 or 30g one day I don't sweat it.

I do allow high-carb 'treat' days, which I try and limit to no more than once per month. Eg. going out for sushi with a friend, that could be a 125g carb meal in one sitting, but I'm right back on the LCHF plan at the next meal.

I haven't noticed any ill effects from one-off excursions into carb-land, but I might just be lucky that way.

The last three times I had carby treats were: sushi with a friend; family get-together at the holidays with lots of savoury carby goodies; and one day I just really wanted a sandwich. The sushi and the family get-together were well worth it, the sandwich made me stop wanting sandwiches lol.
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I can't have a carb day as I would descend into bingeing - I have learnt that my WOE is for life - I have become a carnivore as even small amounts of carbs in veggies and fruits can sometimes cause binges for me - I haven't felt this free in years - I am still fairly early days again after getting back on track about 5 weeks ago.

I did LCHF last year for about 6months but fell off big style and ended up putting all the weight I lost back on (54lbs) so I know this has to be a complete change of eating habits
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    kyucifer wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm doing low carb (under 50g per day) for weight loss and some health reasons (mid-high blood glucose) but I don't have diabetes. For those of you that restrict carbs for non-essential health reasons, do you ever indulge in a day of eating carbs? I am not in keto, so I'm not concerned with knocking myself out of ketosis.

For the past 40 days or so, I've been very strict about my carb and sugar intake. I did allow some slippage here and there for an indulgence, like a corn dog at the state fair, but even on those days stayed below 70 g. There have only really been two or three days like that in the past month+.

The thing I've been craving the most lately has been pizza and ramen. I've tried the cauliflower pizza, the mushroom cap pizzas, the low carb tortilla pizzas, and they haven't satisfied. So yesterday, I decided to give myself a carb day and indulged in pizza for lunch and ramen for dinner, to get it out of my system. I planned it in advance, so I don't have the guilt or feeling of failure. And today, I'm right back to my norm of restricting carbs and following my CICO counts. I feel fine, but I DID notice some gastrointestinal distress later in the day, which only helps me because I'll remember next time that my body did not like it.

Just wondering -- do you set cheat/indulgence/carb days for yourself? If so, how frequently? Have you noticed any ill effects from it? What are the big items you crave or indulge in on these days?

They don't cal it Low Carb for nuthin'!

I refuse to eat Carbs. I do not have cheat days because I don't want them, because I know how bad it's going to make me feel.

My dear H., who has lost 4 stone, found out to his cost just yesterday (Sunday).

On Sundays, his work colleagues bring in loads of goodies to share out, as the Work Canteens run on skeleton staff and much-reduced meals.

Loads of Carb-laden goodies. So, he 'treated' himself to a couple of pretzel sticks, some potato chips and a small bread roll.

He was decidedly off-colour last night.
    Bloated, with wind, and great gastric discomfort.

So no: I never cheat, indulge or set 'carb-days' for myself, because 10 minutes of pleasure = a couple of hours of physical discomfort, plus at least a week of set-back on my 'plan'.
    The ill-effects are also not always visible.
    We have low carbs, or zero carbs for a very good reason.

Our health.

Why would I deliberately eat something which I have discovered is ultimately unhealthy and has very negative effects on my system?

Nope.
    I keep to under 25g a day. Aiming for less, if possible.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Getting into ketosis is too hard a battle to surrender to a meal of carbage. Nope, I wouldn't do it. I like being in nutritional ketosis too much and being at maintenance, which was a long hard battle to win. So again, nope.

If you have no insulin resistance, don't mind feeling hungover, or are very young and totally healthy still, then by all means, do what you like.
  • kyubeans
    Options
    Loads of Carb-laden goodies. So, he 'treated' himself to a couple of pretzel sticks, some potato chips and a small bread roll.

He was decidedly off-colour last night.
    Bloated, with wind, and great gastric discomfort.

So no: I never cheat, indulge or set 'carb-days' for myself, because 10 minutes of pleasure = a couple of hours of physical discomfort, plus at least a week of set-back on my 'plan'.
    The ill-effects are also not always visible.
    We have low carbs, or zero carbs for a very good reason.

Our health.

Why would I deliberately eat something which I have discovered is ultimately unhealthy and has very negative effects on my system?

Nope.
    I keep to under 25g a day. Aiming for less, if possible.

That's very admirable! I've been trying to keep in that mindset, but the image of fresh, hot, cheesy pizza kept intruding into my brain. But I'm seeing it as a small-scale victory that I planned it out, kept it in control, and went straight back into LC today.

So you don't miss anything that is carb-loaded? Or do you just have a tactic to keep your mind off it?
  • 123sind
    123sind Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you really got to get rid of that devil inside you, then try a small piece of very dark chocolate 75% +. It hrlps me me when the devil in me want some carbs. I will have a very small piece of Lindt Excellence Chocolate Dark this one got 0.34 carbs per 1 gram but a higher % will have last carbs. Anyway it helps me i just let it melt in my mouth.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No carb days for me. They too frequently lead to falling off keto for weeks for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/6jwbcf/quick_keto_pizza/

That's my go to for keto "pizza" now. Its just Joseph's Lavash Bread (my local wal mart carries it in the bread aisle here in Indiana) as the crust and then whatever for pizza toppings. I use a little pizza sauce myself, cheese, and whatever, pepperoni/mushroom/onion/green pepper works for me. The "crust" is so thin its barely even there, but it satisfies my pizza craving. If the crust is a big part of your pizza needs this may not help :)
  • kyubeans
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    No carb days for me. They too frequently lead to falling off keto for weeks for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/6jwbcf/quick_keto_pizza/

That's my go to for keto "pizza" now. Its just Joseph's Lavash Bread (my local wal mart carries it in the bread aisle here in Indiana) as the crust and then whatever for pizza toppings. I use a little pizza sauce myself, cheese, and whatever, pepperoni/mushroom/onion/green pepper works for me. The "crust" is so thin its barely even there, but it satisfies my pizza craving. If the crust is a big part of your pizza needs this may not help :)

Thanks! Yeah my low carb tortilla got soggy and couldn't hold up to the pizza sauce/cheese/toppings. I'll keep an eye out for this bread and try it out!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kyucifer wrote: »
    So you don't miss anything that is carb-loaded? Or do you just have a tactic to keep your mind off it?

I used to miss it. But not enough to de-rail me.
    Besides, it's not the carbs you miss; it's the 'sugar' hit your body gets. And sugar is both addictive, and toxic.
    It is, in fact, arguably as addictive as heroin, apparently.
    So the main way to kick the addiction - is to go Cold Turkey.

In my book - and I realise not everyone either agrees with me, or sees it my way - there are NO half measures.
    You either quit simple carbs - laden with starches and sugars - or you don't.

My H who was once diabetic type 2 (he no longer is, having lost around 4 stone) DOES miss them. But is determined to never go back. And after last night's episode, he is steering clear for good.

I see carbs every day. I work in a company that both sells food, and supplies staff with regular treats in our canteen (we bring our own lunches, but the dining tables are regularly festooned with carb snacks) so I'm surrounded by high-carg stuff.

It turns me off. Totally.
    Not because I don't like them.
    I loved them!
    I'm Italian, I took pasta intravenously!

I now regard them with the same amount of distaste as I would a pair of dirty underpants under the bed, forgotten for a month.

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2013/06/30/weekend-bonus-the-older-brothers-oldest-sons-faux-carb-pizza/

This is the pizza recipe I use and my not low carb husband thinks it's good.

I do eat some carbs on occasion. Depending on what I ate I sometimes feel bloated and gross but that's usually if I suspect gluten contamination (I'm celiac). I seem able to eat ice cream and rice and corn without issues. I'm normally under 50 though. I don't really crave much...I might eat gluten free cake at a birthday. Some sort of specialty ice cream. A little rice in my burrito bowl. Nothing major.
  • getfitchelle
    getfitchelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm only doing low carb/keto because of the appetite suppressant factor, and I NEVER have carb days.

If I feel like i must indulge, I buy myself a huuuge piece of meat and stuff myself silly.
  • kyubeans
    Options
    I'm Italian, I took pasta intravenously!

I now regard them with the same amount of distaste as I would a pair of dirty underpants under the bed, forgotten for a month.

The fact that you're italian and so surrounded by carbs on all sides makes it even more amazing! :smiley:
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I honestly think it's a 'Mind-Set' thing, and to be truthful, I actually don't remember putting any effort into developing it, deliberately.

Over a short time, as soon as I realised the benefits and advantages of staying off Simple Carbs in all their forms, something in my brain 'clicked'. It just switched off any desire to eat potatoes, pasta, rice, bread or any of the wonderful sweet treats, like doughnuts, apple turnovers, cream horns, cakes, sweets.... you name it, I just couldn't face it. I recoiled.

The thought of how bad these carbs would be for me (for a long time), far outweigh any potential pleasure I would get from them (for a very short time).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle 50-150, so I get more carbs every other day anyway and can definitely delay my cravings for a day when carbs allowances are higher.
  • kyubeans
    Options

The thought of how bad these carbs would be for me (for a long time), far outweigh any potential pleasure I would get from them (for a very short time).

I have noticed it being a LOT easier for me this time around, because of this particular belief. I have done atkins in the past and it was purely a weight loss thing with no understanding of the nutritional science. I cheated (and I use the word cheat on purpose) a LOT on atkins and of course gained all the weight back plus.

This time around, I actually understand the addictive nature of carbs and its negative effects, and it's become SO much easier to ignore them (98% of the time) because it's just not worth it. I guess I just have to firm up on that other 2% of the time!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I honestly think it's a 'Mind-Set' thing, and to be truthful, I actually don't remember putting any effort into developing it, deliberately.

Over a short time, as soon as I realised the benefits and advantages of staying off Simple Carbs in all their forms, something in my brain 'clicked'. It just switched off any desire to eat potatoes, pasta, rice, bread or any of the wonderful sweet treats, like doughnuts, apple turnovers, cream horns, cakes, sweets.... you name it, I just couldn't face it. I recoiled.

This is how I am. I won't even use artificial sweeteners. I'm done with all f it.

I saw some cupcakes the other day and they barely registered as food to me.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    If it is pizza you want try Fathead pizza, no one I have fed it to knew the difference.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/
  • kyubeans
    Options
    If it is pizza you want try Fathead pizza, no one I have fed it to knew the difference.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/

Thank you! Those pictures look amazing... I will definitely try it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't indulge in carb DAYS but I have no fear of a few carbs. I'm on vacation and last night's dinner was a Low Country Boil. I had a half ear of fresh corn and a half of a small potato with my serving. It was no big deal. Carbs in general cause me no physical issues. I keep carbs around 50 total per day and can fit about anything I want into that. 99% of the time the bulk my carbs are vegetables. I'm quite certain I didn't become fat eating cauliflower, broccoli and spaghetti squash. I lost my excess weight eating "highish" low carb and have been maintaining for 3 years with varied low carb amounts. What I stay away from is sweet stuff like cookies, cakes and ice cream. Or Doritoes, cheese puffs and popcorn. Snacky stuff. All of the latter can be triggers for overeating for me.

We have a bowl full of fresh peaches sitting on the counter. I might eat a peach or split one. I'll most likely pass all week on the Oreos, M&Ms, Doritoes and cheesy popcorn sitting next to the peaches. Maybe not but most likely.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I don't indulge in carb DAYS but I have no fear of a few carbs. I'm on vacation and last night's dinner was a Low Country Boil. I had a half ear of fresh corn and a half of a small potato with my serving. It was no big deal. Carbs in general cause me no physical issues. I keep carbs around 50 total per day and can fit about anything I want into that. 99% of the time the bulk my carbs are vegetables. I'm quite certain I didn't become fat eating cauliflower, broccoli and spaghetti squash. I lost my excess weight eating "highish" low carb and have been maintaining for 3 years with varied low carb amounts. What I stay away from is sweet stuff like cookies, cakes and ice cream. Or Doritoes, cheese puffs and popcorn. Snacky stuff. All of the latter can be triggers for overeating for me.

We have a bowl full of fresh peaches sitting on the counter. I might eat a peach or split one. I'll most likely pass all week on the Oreos, M&Ms, Doritoes and cheesy popcorn sitting next to the peaches. Maybe not but most likely.

Well said. This works for me also.

This may seem weird to some, but then again I am a little weird. When I am craving bread, because loved ones are indulging, I smell the bread a few times, and I am good to go. Whatever works - right?