how are you eating in maintenance mode still low carb? moderate carb?

Options
Adi4Fitness
Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
edited July 2017 in Social Groups
A lot of my weight issues were gradual pile up of weight over the years. carbs in them selves arent bad but our love for them makes us over eat them. I came to know a lot about healthy carbs vs processed carbs high in sugar. But as i am working my way up to a healthy bmi , bodyfat and weight i wonder how can i re introduce carbs without going overboard and how can i find a way to replace this high level of protein and take less of it as i am nearly consuming around 130+ grams of protein every day in efforts to preserve my lean body mass.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Oh, very much low-carb, and that's the way it's going to stay. There are just too many benefits to this WoE to mention, or give up.
    This is a lifestyle now, not a 'diet'.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I tried going from keto levels (20g) to low carb levels (30-70g) but I regained weight. :blush: It got my appetite going again.

I think I will probably stay pretty low carb from now on. I maintained really well at keto levels and only regained after eating more carbs... and then eating more.

ETA Why are you wanting to lower protein? Does it just not agree with you? If you want to cut protein, you could add fat but I wouldn't cut too much if you are an active person. Probably not much below 100g - that's about 400kcals of your diet
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    That is the thing i am concerned about , overeating while going up on carbs. I started my rest day with carbs and i was able to eat a about 600 calories in surplus in just 2 Meals with carbs . before eating 1500 calories on low carb was tough due to being protein and fat . I wanted to decrease protein because eating high levels of protein is not something i can sustain indefinitely and my goal weight being about 140 pounds ( cw 175 pounds ) i would not need as much protein in the first place.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Ketosis is the plan still hanging around 50 grams of carbs daily. If I blow a strong .05 or better I may add an apple or orange from time to time. It is the continuing health improvements that has me sold plus Keto is so simple to do since I have not cravings for junk and I want to keep it that way.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been in full maintenance mode for a couple months now. I now do a "lazy(?)" Ketogenic diet -just "by feel" now though. I started off by no longer keeping track of my carb/protein/fat intake every day. Instead, I solely relied on my breathalyzer readings. Then, after several weeks of consistently producing readings indicating being in ketosis, I stopped using that as well. Now all I do is take down my weekly numbers on the scale including weight, body fat%, muscle %, and also my waist size. Honestly, I feel confident that I can go just by my waist size now -to tell if I'm on the right track still.

I now indulge most everyday with a small treat for myself like a low carb ice cream such as Halo Top, or something with a little more carbs than I would have previously allowed myself. Also, I'll drink a cup of Fairlife whole milk most days as well (before I'd only drink that a couple times a week & only if I had carbs to spare to stay under 20 for the day). Other than that, my diet is mostly the same as it was when I was doing strict Keto -I just don't log & track everyone anymore.

Even though my goal is no longer to lose weight, I (just like many others) continue to follow a Ketogenic diet because I feel that it is the healthiest lifestyle diet to have.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I still eat keto and will for life. It just plain makes me feel good both physically and mentally. I have gotten so much healthier and happier with this way of eating that theres no way I am going back.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have reached 139 pounds, 5'8", Female age 61. I have to think about maintaining weight also, no less that 135. But, the problem is, there is no hunger or cravings with carbs less than 20 a day! I went from about 178 to 139 in 13 months, with the added bonus of my diabetes sugars averaging in the 85 to 110 range, 2 hr postprandial. I am afraid to add more carbs least my blood sugars increase, and more fat just upsets my acid reflux. The amount of protein in my diet is overly sufficient, about 4-6 ounces per meal.

Will I reach a healthy set point? Eventually. Funny, I never planed or dreamed of being on a maintenance diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Aquawave while I have never when much lower than 50 grams of carbs a day I have cut back on fats automatically just because I then felt better.

It is my current thinking when my WOE and walking improves my damaged body enough that I will reach a healthy set point. Hopefully that will be in the 170-185 range in my case since I have been in the 195-210 range for the past two years. Maybe that will address my half of a basketball looking gut. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I currently eat what most would call low carb with the idea of 50 total or less in mind. If I go a little higher in carbs it is no big deal to me. I don't track rigidly at this time. With the exception of my main meal at 8-9 pm at night, I don't vary my intake much so am not feeling a strong need to track every little food item. So long as sweets ( including sweet fat bombs) and salty snacks (including pork rinds) are not part of my daily intake, I don't seem to have difficulty moderating intake. Fish, meat, vegetables, dairy, nuts/seeds, some fruit, oils/fats are my staples

I've been maintaining for 3 years on varied levels of "low carb". Maintaining in this fashion for only about 4 months which is as much about food choices (including the choice not to eat something) as it is about macro percentages/grams.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh, very much low-carb, and that's the way it's going to stay. There are just too many benefits to this WoE to mention, or give up.
    This is a lifestyle now, not a 'diet'.

Same here. :)
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have also sort of naturally migrated to not tracking and just eating how I know I need to eat. I seem to have reached a weight where I can maintain just by doing that and the scale may fluctuate 2-3 pounds in any given week, but stays in that same 3 pound range.

It's very liberating I must say. I never thought this would happen to me. Food has always been an obsession for me whether it be dieting or the opposite.
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    MissMaggieElizabeth Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance for a year and 4 months. I quit weighing measuring my foods and added in some low carb veggies. Gained 10 pounds or so. Seemed odd as the fit of my clothes did not seem to change. I was not constantly weighing myself either so not exactly where or when the 10+ came on. Went to Doc end of May for aching hands and of course they weigh you and I was shocked to see the weight gain. So I just dropped the veggies again and cut back a bit on the cheese and I am down 13 pounds that easily. No hunger weighing measuring again. I just hate worrying about my foods. I do not check ketosis. I just like not feeling hangry all the time. I eat twice a day and call it good. So simple and grocery shopping is a breeze. Why change or mess with a good thing. Only me here to cook for now so my cooking is very simple. I do have two artichokes in my garden about the size of golf balls I will eat one tonight. WHOOT!!! Devil may care.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I typically stay 50 or below for maintenance. Sometimes I eat a higher carb veggie, rice, corn, or a gluten free dessert. I usually balance that by staying as low as possible the rest of the day. I enjoy this way of eating, don't get as hungry, and my arthritis seems well controlled.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    At 1.5 lbs from my goal weight, I consider myself to be in maintenance. I plan to keep my carbs low enough to remain in ketosis for the rest of my life. That was my plan from the beginning. I entered ketosis in one day on 50 net carbs, so I am able to eat more carbs than some people.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    I have reached 139 pounds, 5'8", Female age 61. I have to think about maintaining weight also, no less that 135. But, the problem is, there is no hunger or cravings with carbs less than 20 a day! I went from about 178 to 139 in 13 months, with the added bonus of my diabetes sugars averaging in the 85 to 110 range, 2 hr postprandial. I am afraid to add more carbs least my blood sugars increase, and more fat just upsets my acid reflux. The amount of protein in my diet is overly sufficient, about 4-6 ounces per meal.

Will I reach a healthy set point? Eventually. Funny, I never planed or dreamed of being on a maintenance diet.

Ditto (except for the female part.. ).

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I've been at goal weight or slightly under (as much as 4 lbs. under). I have slowly added back in some carbs, but still keeping daily totals around 50 total grams, not net. I am no longer logging, I know what I can eat, I love it so no problems there. I am still doing IF, because only a couple of days a week do I have any desire to eat right after getting up now. I do 36-48 hr. fasts once a month now. Because I like the feeling I get from it, I do use some fat while fasting because my body doesn't have as much stored as before, so some fat supplementation is fine. I am not diabetic, I am only IR, which seems to have gotten better last A1C was 4.9. Others with health issues might not do as well with 50 grams.

And as Alex mentioned above it is a lifestyle change. Breakfast first thing everyday was a habit, eating starchy carbs was a really bad habit. I eat any veggie carbs I want except for potatoes, legumes, and corn now. I do not eat wheat, I have a sensitivity to it anyways and needed to get off of it. I baked WONDERFUL breads, not anymore. This is a big change in my lifestyle. Luckily I love the foods I am allowed. Wish I had done this decades ago.

If I need to keep some weight on (a gal can fantasize can't she?), I will just eat more full fat cheeses and yogurt, and have those wagyu burgers for lunch more often.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    AshStout83 wrote: »
    At 1.5 lbs from my goal weight, I consider myself to be in maintenance. I plan to keep my carbs low enough to remain in ketosis for the rest of my life. That was my plan from the beginning. I entered ketosis in one day on 50 net carbs, so I am able to eat more carbs than some people.

Geez. Yet another metric I need you to sell me.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    AshStout83 wrote: »

Geez. Yet another metric I need you to sell me.

I believe my previous rate was $25. I'll keep it the same for this one. ;)
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Know yourself.

The slope is slippery for me.

Addictive behavior and a really poor relationship with food don't go away because I hit a number on the scale. I can still be a binge eater, and nothing makes me binge like carbs. (Who binges on broccoli?!)

The metabolic advantage of nutritional ketosis and low carb is so huge, that I'm there for life. And from what I can see it is most likely the same for 50 to 70% of folks.

There still lurks the "now that I'm skinny I can eat what I want" mindset waiting to kill me. YMMV