Diabetes Medication recommendation

Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you test regularly with an accurate, reliable meter, that should give you a clearer picture than A1c, according to Dr. Bernstein. (Of course he uses A1c if you don't test often and that's the best info you have.)

In short - victory!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

Could be a difference from MySugr because on keto your red blood cells tend to live longer than when eating high carb therefore they collect more glycation simply because they are alive longer to do so. A1c is a 3 month estimate because that's about how long the cells typically live. Yours should actually be older than that :) so I bet MySugr was right on

At the end of the day, I am making progress. The diet is manageable. 6.1 is a good reading. I am checking frequently and the mySugr has a lot of data. I had forgotten about the longer life of the red blood cells, but that might explain it.
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If you test regularly with an accurate, reliable meter, that should give you a clearer picture than A1c, according to Dr. Bernstein. (Of course he uses A1c if you don't test often and that's the best info you have.)

In short - victory!

I am counting this one in the win column. I will focus on good eating and hope to lose some more weight.

Restaurants are challenging. I went to lunch with a group I belong to, and scoured the menu. I got a cabbage salad with chicken breast. It came with some Oriental something salad dressing. I checked glucose an hour after eating and it was 170! That is the highest I have seen in a long time. That dressing did not taste sweet, but it must have had some sugar in it!

• RalfLott
    Options
    This is the first time I looked at the community and found your group. This is wonderful and filled with information. Thank you. I was on two insulins, Humalog and Lantus, plus metformin 1000 twice a day, and Glimepiride. The doctor also increased my Thyroid medicine Levothyroxine, and told me now that I was perimenopausal, I may have to take more meds. I gained 5 pounds in 3 days from the medicine switch, as I was doing their diet of 45 carbs a meal, and walking 5 miles a day, with only a 10 pound loss. So it almost wiped out all my hard work for three months of working to lose weight. I was so frustrated.

Then I saw LCHF diet online and started eating opposite from what they were telling me to do. In four days, I went off both insulins, and my blood sugar is averaging 110 now, and I have lost more weight this week than all my efforts from the past year. Amazing how my body is responding to this new way of eating. It has really helped my focus on quality of nutrients instead quantity of food and carb. Very happy camper here.

Congrats! So happy for you. <3
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Amazing how my body is responding to this new way of eating. It has really helped my focus on quality of nutrients instead quantity of food and carb. Very happy camper here.

What are your macros? It sounds as if the transition has been smooth for you. This all sounds very good!

• krazykat3232
    krazykat3232 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fat 107g - Protein 120g - Carb 40g a day. I boost the fat with coconut oil in my coffee to up the calories and to feel full all day. I can not get all the calories in each day (1600), I do make sure it is over 1200, but the sodium is bumping the limit. I hear people need the sodium level to stay up when first starting out.
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ZeetaFit wrote: »
    When I was diagnosed, my doc said there are three components to get rid of Type 2: lose some weight (I was about 150lbs overweight), eat low carb, and exercise every day. I was on Victoza and HATED giving myself shots every day. I committed to the three components and was able to go off meds in 3 months. My A1C dropped from 8.9 to 4.9. I am still working on losing all the weight (just over 100 to go) but I am no longer diabetic. My doc says the exercising every day (I walk about 30 minutes - nothing hard) and eating healthy foods made all the difference for me.

Congratulations!

1. You have a good doc:
    2. Your.doc has a smart and determined patient!

Kudos. :p
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @rabbyduby, how goes the voyage?
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The brand that my Publix Pharmacy, Atlanta area, gives for free (no charge at all!), is from Ascend Laboratories. My gastric tract has no problems with taking it. There are other stores around that do the same or charge practically nothing at all. I use the GoodRx app to get my prescriptions now that my insurance has gone to fecal matter.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I will respond here to my own post about restaurants. I have figured out the thing I can almost always get when I am on a work lunch at some random local place. A bacon cheeseburger with no bun or fries keeps me on the straight and narrow with the carbs. The lettuce and tomato usually looks plastic anyway, but they are easy to enter and don't blow the carb budget if you go that route. You have to ask several times for cheddar cheese or they will use American. I should have thought of this in the first place, but I am on board now, and it is working better for the glucose levels.