Bench press sticking point

Options
klrenn
klrenn Posts: 245 Member
My sticking point on my bench is generally when my elbows are at 90degrees...if I can get it past that point, the bar speed accelerates and I can complete the lift.

I originally thought this meant that my triceps were the weak point, but I've been reading that it's probably actually my anterior delts that are the problem...does this sound right?

What's the best way to work on this? On days I don't bench I do OHP...will this be enough? As my OHP gets better, my bench will too? Or should I add in more isolation work? My shoulders click funny when I do front delt raises, but not sure what else would be a good substitute (lateral raises are fine, but would that help?)

Thanks!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How far along are you in your lifting career? What is your current 1RM for example?

Triceps are most focused towards the top of the lift so if you are actually accelerating at that point then your triceps are probably fine.

Having said that, as a general rule for breaking plateaus I would recommend:

1) Increasing overall training in that lift (more days trained and/or more overall volume)
    2) Perfecting/optimizing technique
    3) Eat more/weigh more

I've had various forays into doing isolation work and such and it never really seems to do much, it just doesn't translate into the specific lift. Especially in the case of something like front raises, the movement is totally different than a bench press so it doesn't tend to have any carryover other than the possibility of maybe building more muscle. But for most people, actually doing the lift itself more and becoming very proficient in it and very strong in it is going to be the best way to go. If you DO want accessory movements, stick to closely-related variants like close-grip bench and incline bench.

Just my opinion and experience.
  • klrenn
    Options
    Thanks! That all makes sense.

I've been lifting for 3years...ran stronglifts5x5, then switched to wendler 5/3/1, got injured and was out for a while (could still bench, but didn't progress) now I'm running StrongLifts again since my recovery.

I can do 100lbs for 3 reps now. 39yo female, 129lbs bodyweight.

It's just so frustrating to be at that sticking point and know that if I can only get the bar up one more inch I'll complete the lift no problem...but then fail.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if your set up is correct...
    This is a brilliant tutorial and well worth watching.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XRmd3a8_0

I agree with @DopeItUp - primarily you get better at doing a lift by doing the lift and progressing at the speed of your weakest element of that lift.
    Would tend towards more volume at a weight where your form is spot on and you are getting through your sticking point.
  • klrenn
    edited July 2017
    Options

This is from a few weeks ago 95lbs. The last rep is indicative of my sticking point. Looking at it I see that the bar doesn't actually stop, but it feels like it does.

That tutorial video was helpful, I'm working on most of those cues...I don't have very much flexibility in my spine so no arch to speak of...the leg drive direction was new to me...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Your grip looks pretty narrow, like your hands are right at the beginning of the knurling. It might be an idea to widen them a little - maybe one thumb length away from the smooth center parts of the bar.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Grip looks narrow to me too, at least from this angle. Bar comes off your chest pretty easily, indicating triceps are the bottleneck. Drop the weight a little bit and experiment with a wider grip. What was your injury that stopped your bench progression earlier?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Agree with drop the weight and wider hands - have you measured your shoulders?

Get in the groove with lighter weight, good form and higher reps.
    Don't try and change technique while lifting close to your maximum. It takes a while to retrain yourself. Work on it element by element if that works for you until it becomes natural.

Safety bars or a spotter also make sense when you are experimenting as fails are more likely.
  • klrenn
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Agree with drop the weight and wider hands - have you measured your shoulders?

My shoulders are 12" wide, so according to that technique video, my grip should be 24" wide...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Judging by your video I'd say that technique improvement/optimization would be a huge help for you.

I'd start with something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

There are numerous other great resources out there from Omar Isuf, Alan Thrall, Mark Bell, etc.. as well. Try to takeaway some cues and techniques from the videos and work them into your program.