Leg Cramps

Options
kandyflower
kandyflower Posts: 14 Member
I need ideas regarding these annoying instant charlie horses. Anyone have leg cramps on this diet? I'm sure there is since I've read about them. So, I'd like to know what you all use to prevent them.... Food ideas? Vitamin or supplement ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• ashleyrn511
    ashleyrn511 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but turmeric in mustard has helped quite a few ppl in my experience, I even suggest it to my patients who get leg cramps. Just a tablespoon or 2 typically does the trick.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but turmeric in mustard has helped quite a few ppl in my experience, I even suggest it to my patients who get leg cramps. Just a tablespoon or 2 typically does the trick.

2 Tbs mustard would have between 400-600mg sodium. It's the sodium that fixes the cramps because they're caused by low sodium. Keto is
    nateuretic. You must replace lost sodium
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Pickles. I eat at least 2 every day. And I tend to cramp when I've had too much water.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, once you rule out sodium, magnesium is the secondary culprit. 95% of the first world population is deficient in magnesium. Once you start a low carb diet, you dump sodium like made with all the water your body no longer needs to process carbs (it is a balance), and if you don't supplement sodium to retain your electrolytes, the next to go is magnesium...which causes muscle cramps horribly... Most think it is potassium, but that is a far secondary to magnesium.

Unless you are eating all organic and grassfed foods, it's incredibly hard to get enough from food, since soil is depleted, farmers rarely rotate crops/fields now (seasons past, they would burn the residual crop remnants and till it under, renewing soil - that's rare now, they just replant the next time they can and fertilize/pesticide, etc.), pesticides deplete it further, GMO engineering interferes, and just many other factors.

You can use magnesium massage oil, epsom salt baths, or pills/powders/chewable forms... Stay away from magnesium oxide - it's the least tolerate. Most other forms are okay...
  • kandyflower
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • kandyflower
    Options
    One more thing..... How will I know that I'm getting enough sodium, will the Leg cramps will go away? What is best in making sure I get enough sodium?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One more thing..... How will I know that I'm getting enough sodium, will the Leg cramps will go away? What is best in making sure I get enough sodium?

Your diary is public so I looked at it. You can monitor sodium via MFP. Go to settings in MFP and ADD sodium and DELETE sugar from your screen view. If you are eating very low carb there is no need to monitor sugar. There IS need to monitor sodium and it can easily be done via MFP.

My personal recommendation is to hit at least 3000 mg of sodium and start taking 100 mg of magnesium (not magnesium oxide). If the leg cramps don't go away, up the sodium and/or magnesium. You will most likely need more sodium if you are out in the heat or workout a lot. You will know you are getting enough if you are not feeling crappy or getting leg cramps.

note: I'm not one to "super supplement". Just a personal choice. It is TRUE however increased sodium and increased magnesium are beneficial. Most would say necessary and I concur in regards to sodium (I seem to get plenty of magnesium AND potassium AND calcium) from my food choices). I don't generally salt food so I get my added sodium by licking a teaspoon of salt out of the palm of my hand or by chewing on a boullion cube and washing either/both down with a swig of water. That works for me. Easy enough.

Many add salt to their water, mio with water, make a "keto aide" heavily salt their foods or eat salty foods like pickles, sauerkraut, shrimp, lunchmeats, sausage, bacon, pepperoni, cheese, etc. I eat plenty of pickles and drink the juice!

ETA: go to goals and edit micronutrients to change sodium amount. The 2300 it is set at is most likely not enough. I have mine set to 4000 just as an example.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

If you're not having the cramps and not having any lightheadedness or headaches you're probably getting enough.
  • kandyflower
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Your diary is public so I looked at it. You can monitor sodium via MFP. Go to settings in MFP and ADD sodium and DELETE sugar from your screen view. If you are eating very low carb there is no need to monitor sugar. There IS need to monitor sodium and it can easily be done via MFP.

My personal recommendation is to hit at least 3000 mg of sodium and start taking 100 mg of magnesium (not magnesium oxide). If the leg cramps don't go away, up the sodium and/or magnesium. You will most likely need more sodium if you are out in the heat or workout a lot. You will know you are getting enough if you are not feeling crappy or getting leg cramps.

note: I'm not one to "super supplement". Just a personal choice. It is TRUE however increased sodium and increased magnesium are beneficial. Most would say necessary and I concur in regards to sodium (I seem to get plenty of magnesium AND potassium AND calcium) from my food choices). I don't generally salt food so I get my added sodium by licking a teaspoon of salt out of the palm of my hand or by chewing on a boullion cube and washing either/both down with a swig of water. That works for me. Easy enough.

Many add salt to their water, mio with water, make a "keto aide" heavily salt their foods or eat salty foods like pickles, sauerkraut, shrimp, lunchmeats, sausage, bacon, pepperoni, cheese, etc. I eat plenty of pickles and drink the juice!

ETA: go to goals and edit micronutrients to change sodium amount. The 2300 it is set at is most likely not enough. I have mine set to 4000 just as an example.

OK... I made some adjustments. This will help me see what I need for Sodium. I'll take magnesium as well. Thanks again this is helpful to me asking with all the other rookies to my leg cramps. This forum space is vital to me just starting out.
  • kandyflower
    Options
    Lol.... I meant to say....

...this is helpful to me asking questions since I'm just staying out in Keto.
  • kpk54
    Options
    :) and I should have said above...by licking a quarter to half teaspoon of salt out of my hand (not a teaspoon). :)
  • luv4learning
    luv4learning Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get them. I spray magnesium oil on my feet and lower legs for a couple of days and it goes away!. Magnesium oil is one of the best ways for magnesium to be absorbed.

DietDoctor suggests a cup or two of bouillon can help with sodium needs, too.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sunny_Bunny: how do you get enough potassium?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    62apples wrote: »
    Sunny_Bunny: how do you get enough potassium?

I don't track it. I drink coffee and tea and eat meat and get plenty of sodium.
    It's not necessary to supplement potassium unless you've specifically tested deficient. Even then, a doctor will only prescribe 90mg a day. I know this because my daughter is deficient and that's the strength of her prescription.
    Your body will not waste potassium if sodium is kept up.
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    @bedtime: mix potassium salt(grocery store), calcium citrate, and magnesium (natural calm granules)
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I had a leg cramp this morning, luckily I had just purchased magnesium oil and rubbed it into my calves. I only got 2-3 leg cramps when i was first starting. My sodium intake has been 3 to 3.5k instead of my normal 4 to 4.5k the past couple of days. I wonder if that makes a difference. Will be upping my sodium back to 4k+ level today. Take care all!
  • kpk54
    Options
    That's exactly how it -finding what works for you. Kudos.