Heavy Whipping Cream brands

Options
124»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Seems like there should be some way to get liquor involved.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Seems like there should be some way to get liquor involved.

I like the way you think. :lol:
    mmmmm...Irish coffee....
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Black Russians!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm thirsty...
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    White Russians with cream....
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    White Russians with cream....

Duh.... Yeah, that one. Black Russian doesn't have cream :s
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am able to get a brand called Snowville that is local to Ohio. Because it's only available at one store near me, sometimes I have to grab something else for convenience and I try to get whatever is organic. I figure it's my best option then.

Make that two for Snowville. <3 I buy their stuff almost exclusively if given the option.

For what it's worth, when it comes to their cream, it's really hard to get a hold of in general. I live two hours away from their farm and only about half the stores around my house carry it, and of those, only about 1/3 of them carry the cream at all (the rest stop at either whole milk or half and half), and half the time, they're out of stock.

We're not allowed raw milk here in Ohio (raw milk cheese is legal, but raw milk sales for direct human consumption is strictly illegal; like, raid-the-farm-and-poison-the-milk illegal), so Snowville is the closest we have with "low-heat pasteurization."
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I buy only the very best. M&S West Country Extra Thick Double Cream.

extra+thick.jpg

Realy heavy, delicious and free of anything that is not dairy-related.

My inner 12-year-old had to laugh at the "ideal for spooning" part. :D

Sadly, the closest we can get around these parts to that is "heavy whipping cream," which as I recall is equivalent to your "single cream" or just plain "cream." To get spoonable dairy, we have to start getting into the fermented stuff.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    If just concerned about carb content, Land o Lakes has 0 carbs.

@dmariet116 - ALL HWC have 6.4 grams of carbs per cup, or I think it comes out to 0.42 carbs per TBSP. It's up to the manufacturer whether they round up or down or whatever. But the carbs are there regardless of what the label says. That's how most folks get away with saying "zero carbs," whether it is or not. By making the serving size small enough, anything can be reduced to almost "zero" carbs...

I can't get over how it is legal/ok in the USA to state something is "free" of energy or macros. Do things like Coke zero etc also state that? Everything seems well labled here. I cringe when I see people eating these No Cal items, like I've seen a something-farms (Waldo??? Walden?) strawberry jam, peanut butter and other things online. I am sure if you ate the entire thing, it would have some energy in it. Some lady on a facegroup groupat half a jar of some salad dressing they make and everyone was all "LOL it's fine! It has no calories!"

We don't have 'heavy whipping cream', we just have cream. It's 35g-36 of fat per 100ml, and 3-3.3g of carbs per same amount. Doesn't seem to matter what brand. The ingredients all state "Pasteurised cream (from milk) and that's it. never heard of carageenan? Is it a thickening agent?

It is more of an emulsifier. It keeps the cream from separating out, because modern Americans are delicate little flowers who are convinced that natural separation of cream to the top means that their product is spoiled. To convince folks that their products aren't spoiled, manufacturers added ingredients that would prevent the separation that freaked folks out. Modern folks are so removed from farm and natural life that they've no idea what the "real" stuff looks like...without having been dressed up... @getfitchelle

I actually had to explain to someone one time why their homemade almond milk separated (and that no, it doesn't mean it was bad) and mentioned that dairy milk that has not been homogenized does the same thing. They legit thought milk in general was a single thing instead of a suspension of multiple components. :(

Carageenan does create a certain mouthfeel, gives it a bit of a creamier texture, though I think that's secondary to the emulsification effects in the case of heavy cream. It's also why carageenan is commonly found in chocolate milk, keeps the chocolate mixed in (because heaven forbid you have sediment on the bottom), and gives it a creamier texture, especially for the lower fat varieties.

I will admit to having no idea what clotted cream was until I started getting non-homogenized on a more regular basis (we don't really have it around here, and with all the homogenized and "ultra-pasteurized" garbage, any dairy not specifically cultured for fermenting that was in any way "clotted" was not consumable). Non-homogenized is hard to find around here unless you know about the smaller local dairies like Snowville. Now I get something similar (though not exactly) to it, with the extent of the separation that happens with the milk from both local dairies (I suspect the low-heat pasteurization process they use results in similar mechanical behavior used to make clotted cream, though without the change in flavor and the specific separating out for sale).
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just the thought of cream separating gives me the heebie jeebies. No thanks.
  • playmommy1
    playmommy1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In Chicago, most supermarkets only carry "ultra pasteurized" cream which has additives. The two main stores that have non ulta pasreurized heavy cream are Jewel which has Dean's Dairy Pure at $4.99 per quart and Mariano's which carries Kemp's at $7.39 per quart.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »

They invented processed foods to cure your heebie jeebies I guess. :)

Cure the heebie jeebies, bring on The Itch. ...

Now what? (Is that why they invented prescription meds?)
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    EggToni wrote: »

They invented processed foods to cure your heebie jeebies I guess. :)

Cure the heebie jeebies, bring on The Itch. ...

Now what? (Is that why they invented prescription meds?)

:D:D:D:D Xanax!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am darn lucky. Calder's Farm feeds their cows with the hay they grow, then delivers milks and creams and butters in glass containers to our neighborhood every Thursday--so it's Calder's for me. Our locally owned grocers carries Calder's products, but Whole Foods, being a bip-ole corporation more answerable to stock holders rather than customers, employees, or community, does not.

CALDERS HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: $2.99/PINT nothing added--just cow.

BTW a fair amount of cream can be skimmed off the top of their non-homogenized whole milk. NATURAL CREAMLINE MILK $2.99/half gallon.