Plateaus

Options
How do you deal with them when doing a LCHF diet?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself you're making progress, even if you can't see, hear, or smell it.

Oh, and toss your stupid scale into a dumpster from a helicipter or take a welding torch to it. It's most definitely NOT your friend.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1l0415166/scale-why-should-i-dump-thee-let-me-count-the-ways
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How do you deal with them when doing a LCHF diet?

I treat them with the utter contempt they deserve and carry on regardless.

If you want to lose weight, consider 'kick-starting' your weight loss by going on a fast.

I plateau'ed for around 4 weeks.
    "Damn!" I thought, "Who's at the helm of this thing? Oh, that's right - that would be me!" So, if I don't like something - I can change it.

Look closely at what you're doing, and decide if you can tweak somehting.

This is of course, under the presumption that you're on this for weight-loss.

If not, some of the above could still apply....

(Oh, and just to help, not criticise, I personally don't view LCHF/P as a 'diet'.
    This for me is the way it's always going to be. THis is my way of eating - WoE. My Way of Life - WoL.

In much the same way as vegetarianism or veganism is a 'diet' so is this diet. Daily Intake Every Time.)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Also a reminder that just because the scale is not showing anything, your measurements could be. Plus the body needs time every once in a while to work on healing unhealthy metabolic processes and that doesn't always show in the scale weight. Possible (wonderful) side effects could be clearer skin, more energy, less joint pain, better digestion, brain fog lifting, yada,yada,yada B) .
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am on a plateau most of the time. Usually after a couple weeks I'm down about 5lbs all at once. Just have to keep truckin'.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Egg Fast broke my plateau. If you can handle eating eggs for 3-5 days then check it out.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    10 day plateau I'm gonna hold out on doing anything drastic for 7 more days ... plateaus suck .... But gotta keep going
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Think mine lasted 10-12 weeks :) Got the big woosh from doing the Egg Fast though.
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ this...measure yourself, you are usually not plateauing, it's that darn scale the seems to think you are but you are still shrinking. Fat takes up more volume than muscle at the same weight. Keto is meant to preserve muscle so that is what your body is doing. Even when I'm not losing on the scale, I'm always losing on the measuring tape.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Same here, lost no weight at all for a month now but this week when I put on a belt that I hadn't worn for a few weeks I could see how much smaller my waist is than before. I don't understand why or how but it's encouraged me to keep going.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    got the scales moving again, no woosh but i am not to sure if its due to hitting keto level carbs again.. feels like the only time the scale is consistently moving is at keto level low carbs, good idea on the photos will start taking timely photos to check before vs after plateau to see if theres any changes in body composition.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My scale says I've gained 6 pounds this week. But I've lost an inch on my waist. This makes zero sense to me lol!
  • gymbunny09
    gymbunny09 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi just keep going I've not lost a great deal this month but dropped 3lb this week. But I feel so much thinner even friends in the gym noticed this morning. Don't get too bothered about the scales
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I am almost ashamed to admit I'm buying underwear the size of which I haven't worn since I was in my teens. The scales, however, refuse to acknowledge this milestone, and keep telling porkies.

Sadly, I can't chuck 'em in the oven and crisp them up, so I'll just take the alternative option and ignore them.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When I hit an extended plateau that isn't something diet related I just understand all the exercise I am doing is building muscle in place of the fat I used to have. I recently went to the fourth hole on my belt and I am swimming in clothes that used to fit snug...time for some new clothes. Although I did try on some old jeans this weekend and they fit (Yay!) and then I noticed they were painfully out of style... :smiley: They are headed to Goodwill soon.