Weekend Bling Report

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The fifth anniversary Giants Head Marathon on Saturday. My second running of the event, a trail marathon in Dorset. It's undulating, over 27 miles with about 1000 metres of elevation.

Having picked up a mild piriformis pain at the Ox 12Hour the other week where I limited myself to a marathon I was a bit cautious and chose to carry my hiking poles. About 14 miles in it started nagging again, so the poles helped a lot, to minimise my limping. As the ground is very hard at this time of year I opted for my Inov-8 Road Claws, rather than my Race Ultras. I think they helps a little, although with lack of a rock plate led to a fair amount of bruising.

As ever a tough race, with the winner finishing in 3:20 and the last runner coming in at about 8:30, so I was reasonably comfortable with a 6:39 finish.

https://relive.cc/view/1051776023

Other than really bad blisters, I'm in pretty good shape, ready for the Chase Half in a couple of weeks.

78aw9dabjh6m.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Firecracker Four Mile was not an important race to me, but I was feeling pretty good at the start line. Ended up running it at about the same pace I ran my last tempo interval, but on a course with more hills. 4 mile certified course in 25:42, 16th of 697 overall and 1st of 16 in the M 60-64 age group.

I wasn't crazy about the curved glass plaques that were out for awards, so I settled for taking a picture of them and leaving before the awards ceremony.

c2z0x0vgbd3c.jpg
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I kinda like the glass plaques. They are different from the usual trophies and medals.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp - I kinda like the glass plaques. They are different from the usual trophies and medals.

The first time you see them, they're pretty cool. By the the third time the reaction is, "Where am I going to put it?" Some of them have ended up in my recycle bin for lack of storage space.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Chase Half on Sunday. The first time this event has taken place, with a 12 hour the day before. A few friends did marathon distance during the 12 hour.

As ever, trail course with about 250 m of elevation. No steep ascents and a very hard surface. Inov-8 Race Ultras worked well, although having picked up very bad heel blisters at the GHM I was a bit cautious of opening them up.

A really good day, 2:44 finish which seemed fair for the conditions.

• MobyCarp
    Options
    894q4hjpczpg.jpg

A bit of cognitive dissonance. I won my age group running my 14th and slowest half marathon, in a race where I struggled to run as slowly as I should.

It was 64º F (18º C) with 88% relative humidity and overcast skies. As weather for Shoreline goes, it was pretty good. I've trained in the humidity, and it felt pretty cool compared to the evening running I've been doing.

But I was pacing for a 1:40 finish, targeting a 7:38 pace by race mile markers. Kept having to slow myself down, which wasn't too bad for the first 11 miles when I had a guy depending on me for a good pace. Then he took off to finish in 1:38:30, and it was really hard to run the last 2 miles slow in space. Ended up finishing in 1:39:05, and I'll count less than a minute off target as a victory.

That turned out to win the M 60-64 age group (1st of 15 in the age group, 38th of 639 overall), so I got another curved glass plaque and a jar of organic peanut butter. I wasn't sure I was eligible for the age group award, since I was a pacer and my entry was comped; but I'll take the peanut butter. It may not be as good as the almond butter or sunflower butter I've got at other races, but it's a lot better than the peanut butter I'd buy in the store.

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    tgs9dqbboqsx.jpg
    Ran a tiny 10k race yesterday. Had a blast. My cousin and aunt won the overall female awards for the 5k and 10k respectively, and I beat the only other female in my age group. So I wasn't last after all! My cousin tripped and broke her trophy seconds after receiving it, only to discover that they gave her the wrong one - so she had actually broken someone else's trophy! Oops! The real rewards for us were the gobs they gave out at the end. We left with a pile of them. See the picture if you don't know what a gob is :smiley:
  • dewd2
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ^^^ You mean Whoopie Pie :D ^^^

Where is this race? I will run for whoopie pies any day any time. :D
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    ^^^ You mean Whoopie Pie :D ^^^

Where is this race? I will run for whoopie pies any day any time. :D

Shanksville, PA, a tiny little town in Somerset County, just a few miles from the Flight 93 crash site. It seems to be an annual race as a fundraiser for the girls high school basketball team. VERY low-budget! But the "gobs" - that's what they call them here :p - made it worth it!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Did the running leg for a relay team at a local triathlon. Although our average age is ~57, we won the 40+ division. I went into the event mildly injured, so expected to run slower than I actually did.
  • dewd2
    Options
    My first (and maybe last ;) ) mile race is compete. I managed to run it in 6:16. That was a bit slower than my goal (and what I think I can do) but I'll take it. It was good enough for 116th place overall and 6th in my age group. The placement could have been worse but a severe storm went through and caused a significant delay between heats. Many participants left.

If I do run it again I want to get under 6 minutes. I'm confident I can but the question is do I really want to train for it. I'm much more comfortable running marathons. I have a few months to think about it...

ulsu50ubhhk3.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @dewd2 - I've seen the workouts for people targeting mile races, and they intimidate me. So far, I've avoided them by telling everyone I'm training for a marathon and just running the Michigan Mile because I'm expected to support the team. And telling the team captain he doesn't need me, he really needs a miler. He doesn't seem to believe me.

Before my first mile race, I told another runner, "I don't know whether I want to run a mile. I'm not much of a sprinter." Big mistake. I got a long lecture on how a mile is not a sprint, and a description of race strategy that (aside from the ludicrously short distances and fast paces) sounded a lot like a half marathon race strategy. Still, from the perspective a marathon runner, the task is simply go run a mile as fast as you can.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Wasn't on the weekend, but ran a local 5k this week for fun and to break up the training monotony. Like @MobyCarp, all of my training is targeted towards longer distances (marathon/50k). I don't do any speedwork beside a once a week marathon pace run. 80% of my running is at an easy conversational pace.

Came in first overall, PRed my 5k time, and set my first sub 19 minute 5k time with an 18:57 official time.

Even a mile or 5k is predominantly an aerobic effort, so training for distance has greatly improved my performance even in shorter races.
    https://runnersconnect.net/the-importance-of-aerobic-running/
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ran the Run United 5K Saturday. Started out oversleeping my alarm, got half way to the park and realized I forgot my headphones, got to the park with 25 minutes to spare and only got about half a warmup run in, still tending a sore knee and then during the Anthem, it starts to pour.....

Nutty day, but finished 3rd in my age group (50-59) and 33rd overall.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I did a small 6.5 mile today. Though I was very close to first overall, I just never could quite catch up. At two points, I was only a few feet behind the lead; and ended less than a min. later.

It didn't help that I started the day with some health issues... I'll spare you the gory details, but it was painful to stand up straight when I first got out of bed. I knew exactly what was wrong and was almost back to top shape before the race. Issue resurfaced around mile 2, but I was able to keep going. It did slow me down a little bit during miles 2-4; a time when I could have taken the lead otherwise (the leader appeared to show some weakness on this hilly section).

Nonetheless, I won my age group and got a medal for that.

uqq37z4k5ka2.jpg
    ytl8c2ouag04.jpg
    dgoeb6gjd7f3.jpg
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Dorset Invader Marathon yesterday, 28.2 miles of Dorset trails with over 700 metres of elevation. Very muddy for much of the route and persistent rain throughout.

Not a great experience as I was significantly underfueled. Two weeks of military food left me in a bad state and I felt my energy starting to drop rapidly at about 12 miles. I then fell quite hard on rock at about 15 miles, which reduced me to walking much of the rest of the route. The wall finally caught up with me at about 24 miles, despite six gels, flapjacks, beer and assorted cakes at the aid stations.

https://instagram.com/p/BXIXn6Bht-G/

Not all that happy with 6:58 but I'll take it. I probably shouldn't have gone out, but you know how it is.

I've now got about six weeks until my next races, and I think I need the break.

https://relive.cc/view/1107174457

• MobyCarp
    Options
    Jenny Kuzma Memorial Bergen 5K today. Didn't know I'd run it till this morning, when the legs felt healthy enough to risk a 5K. The point was to support my team; but it turned out there were no age group team awards, so I could have sat it out without hurting the team, sigh.

Ran a 19:47, good for 88th of 200 overall and 2nd of 11 in the M 60+ age group, behind a team mate who recently aged up. This was a tough field because it was also the USATF Niagara Region 5K Championship, and the open teams were hotly contested.

Bling was nominal; a plastic pint glass, and a visor with no hat that is useless for old bald guys like me. Age group winners also got a bag/backpack, but I already have one just like that from last year. And there was a $15 gift certificate to a local running store. I'll use that.

uv9dunl0loq9.jpg