Carb Days

Options
2»

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I started a strict ketogenic diet for health reasons and a couple of months later my husband and daughter started with me to lose weight and get healthier. So we have all levels of carb adherance in our house.

I'm very strict. Any carbs I eat are only of the veggie and occasional fruit variety.

My husband and daughter are more low carb than keto and are fairly strict, but will occasionally have cheat meals when they are out with friends or don't have other options available.

Sometimes they can breeze right through and get back on track with no problems.

Other times they have expressed the "lego gut" feeling from certain cheat foods, and just have to deal with the gastric distress for a day or so, but seem to be able to get back to eating right without having the binge feelings.

I think it's something very different and personal for everyone. Do some experimenting, but just don't let yourself get carried away... :)
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I definitely have carb days and they usually correspond with some sort of outing(restaraunt, party, family gathering). Life's too short IMO to completely stop eating food I like and while I do get a little gassy the following morning for a few hours I'm fine with that :)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Although I do a ton of cooking and baking following this WOE one thing I absolutely hate having to make is pizza so this is my go to where that is concerned:

https://realgoodfoods.com/
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ladipoet for this link! It looks like this brand is available locally to me, so I'll be sure to give it a try!
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Man, that makes me wish I was american.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Smoked33 wrote: »
    I definitely have carb days and they usually correspond with some sort of outing(restaraunt, party, family gathering). Life's too short IMO to completely stop eating food I like and while I do get a little gassy the following morning for a few hours I'm fine with that :)

Agreed. Like you, @kyucifer, I have no health issues, and I have chosen a low-carb WOE for vanity and the general "just want to be healthy" reasons. I'm a total foodie and definitely enjoy 98% of food, and so I leave room to indulge during some occasions. I'm of the mindset that you go to a pizza place to eat pizza, so I buckle down and stay on the straight and narrow until then (plus my eating-out habits have to be financially wrangled anyway, so I make it a point to not eat out otherwise regarding that issue). However, if we're going to a mediocre place, then I have no qualms getting a salad or deconstructing a hamburger.

Sure sometimes I have gastrointestinal discomfort, but I have no regrets otherwise :) it seems like you're able to control yourself after a carb-bomb of a meal, so if you can do it, more power to you!

EDIT: punctuation matters, y'all.
  • gymbunny09
    gymbunny09 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Havent had any carb days, cos I love fathead pizza make it every week yummy
  • VickyObe
    VickyObe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my favorite food ever! So here's what I do as a substitute, grease pan, Raw Chicken Breast, Diced Tomatoes and Italian seasoning, or a small amount of marinara sauce, plus all the pepperoni, cheese and other toppings you enjoy then bake until cooked. I love it and the only carbs are in the sauce! I save all the ingredients as a menu in MFP and not a recipe so I can easily adjust the quantity and rotate out toppings as I make it and log it each time. My family loves it too!
  • VickyObe
    VickyObe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    q37bfmwfzu99.png
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Although I do a ton of cooking and baking following this WOE one thing I absolutely hate having to make is pizza so this is my go to where that is concerned:

Oh wow, those are available just up the street from me. Thanks for sharing this info. My DH gets pizza cravings more often than me, so this would work when I don't feel like crafting a fathead when I don't crave pizza. While I think you can work pizza in, I don't think it is something that needs to be eaten often.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    kyucifer wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm doing low carb (under 50g per day) for weight loss and some health reasons (mid-high blood glucose) but I don't have diabetes. For those of you that restrict carbs for non-essential health reasons, do you ever indulge in a day of eating carbs? I am not in keto, so I'm not concerned with knocking myself out of ketosis.

For the past 40 days or so, I've been very strict about my carb and sugar intake. I did allow some slippage here and there for an indulgence, like a corn dog at the state fair, but even on those days stayed below 70 g. There have only really been two or three days like that in the past month+.

The thing I've been craving the most lately has been pizza and ramen. I've tried the cauliflower pizza, the mushroom cap pizzas, the low carb tortilla pizzas, and they haven't satisfied. So yesterday, I decided to give myself a carb day and indulged in pizza for lunch and ramen for dinner, to get it out of my system. I planned it in advance, so I don't have the guilt or feeling of failure. And today, I'm right back to my norm of restricting carbs and following my CICO counts. I feel fine, but I DID notice some gastrointestinal distress later in the day, which only helps me because I'll remember next time that my body did not like it.

Just wondering -- do you set cheat/indulgence/carb days for yourself? If so, how frequently? Have you noticed any ill effects from it? What are the big items you crave or indulge in on these days?

Yep. I do an hour, not a day. I find it works better. And I work it around celebrations so I can have that slice of wedding cake or that Fourth of July burger and watermelon. I'm often back in ketosis by the next day. I've found giving myself a whole day off or doing it too often is counterproductive.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

Oh wow, those are available just up the street from me. Thanks for sharing this info. My DH gets pizza cravings more often than me, so this would work when I don't feel like crafting a fathead when I don't crave pizza. While I think you can work pizza in, I don't think it is something that needs to be eaten often.

If you email them and ask they will send you a coupon for $10 off or free shipping or both. #workedforme (I actually left a complaint on price on their Facebook, they offered discount and politely ask I change review)