gluten free/celiac

Options
kennygang
kennygang Posts: 93 Member
I had an endoscopy yesterday and my gastro MD believes I might have celiac which would explain a lot of how I am feeling. I have been doing low carb on and off for few weeks and I def feel better avoid carbs but the scale did not move and my clothes fit the same. I have anemia and celiac might be cause of that too. I was wondering where does gluten free fit in with low carb? any others on here doing low carb and gluten free?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you're eating no grains, you're naturally gluten free. Aside from anything that could be in condiments and such.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    kennygang wrote: »
    I had an endoscopy yesterday and my gastro MD believes I might have celiac which would explain a lot of how I am feeling. I have been doing low carb on and off for few weeks and I def feel better avoid carbs but the scale did not move and my clothes fit the same. I have anemia and celiac might be cause of that too. I was wondering where does gluten free fit in with low carb? any others on here doing low carb and gluten free?

Like Sunny Bunny said if you aren't eating grains then you should be gluten free. Things really didn't start to move scale and clothes wise until I stuck with LCHF for an extended period of time and I added in some exercise. Everyone is different though. Going through this process I have realized that I probably have some type of sensitivity to certain foods so by not eating those foods I feel better. It sounds silly but I mentally ask myself "Don't you like feeling better?" and then remind myself not to eat the junk that made me feel like poo.

Make sure you are doing things that don't adversely affect your anemia so you might need to talk to a nutritionist or PCP. Also really read the labels on any processed low carb foods or just take the easy route and eat whole foods.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    kennygang wrote: »

@kennygang - The two plans sync up really well, actually.
    • Most low carbers ditch grains and processed products.
    • Most celiacs ditch grains and processed products.

You will just have to be very careful to avoid cross contamination at plants (like for nuts and such) to avoid accidental gluten. Also knowing things like anything with corn syrup can contain corn gluten which can trigger, etc. will help. There are a number of celiacs or gluten sensitive folks in this group...
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I kind of thought to do extremely low like keto is (20 grams) you had to be gluten free. All the products that have gluten in them are high in carbs too.
    My hubby is doing keto (20 grams), I'm doing 35 grams, our oldest son is low carb (not sure his numbers), our younger son is about 35 grams when at home, and our eleven year old daughter eat what she wants but there isn't any high carb stuff at home.
    We do not have traditional flour at home, only almond and coconut flour here. Nothing that even remotely looks like bread/pasta.
    We eat veggies, meat, cheese, nuts, some fruits, and non-dairy milk. I was successful in convincing my family to give up on sweeteners especially artificial ones. We do use strawberries and dates to sweeten things on occasion, but we have to be careful with dates they are very carby.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I've read that anemia is the most common symptom of celiac. :( I hope you feel better soon.

There are a few of us celiacs around here. Gluten free and LCHF are quite complimentary.

Soon after my diagnosis I was eating a lot of gluten free treat foods. It's like I wanted to prove to myself that I was missing out on nothing good. I ate cookies, candies and GF baking... and I lost 10lbs within a couple of months. My guess was it was inflammation of some sort - I was never the skinny celiac. LOL

Now? A few years later I rarely eat GF substitute foods. GF foods are usually higher in sugars and starches (chains of sugar) to make up for the loss of gluten texture in baking. It is often best to embrace the fact that your baking will now be different rather than trying to make it taste the same.Skipping typically glutenous foods is often easiest. When I eat hamburgers I just eat the patty. Same with smokies. A tomato meat sauce is not put on rice noodles but I just eat the sauce - maybe on spaghetti squash if I want.

Just skip the grains. And get rid of contaminated stuff like the butter, peanut butter, toaster, deeply scratched cutting boards, waffle irons or pans you can't get perfectly clean, stirring spoons with big grooves or scratches. Read all labels too - when you buy it and before using it just to be safe. Be aware that most soy sauces, many BBG sauces and worchestershire sauces have gluten. So do many spice mixes and many flavour pouches.

I just stick with naturally GF foods like meat, eggs, veggies and dairy (although I was dairy free for a year while healing).

Give LCHF time. Sometimes the scale does not move right away. Perhaps log you food and make sure you are in a caloric deficit. If I eat too much while LCHF I still gain weight - just not as fast. ;)

Good luck!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have celiac so I am gluten free and low carb. I find if you are grain free the main source of "hidden" gluten is soy sauce. Lots of restaurants use soy sauce based marinades, not just for Asian food so you really have to check.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    As stated above: the two plans sync quite well.

Welcome back. As a side note, the "on" part of "off and on" is better than not being "on" at all but "off and on" does not really work IMO. All you are doing is depleting glycogen stores and water weight when "on" low carb and replenishing the same when "off". This is not to be confused with "carb cycling" which a few people do here do with specific effective intent.

I was "off and on" during 2015. In my case it was binge and restrict. Not saying this is what you're doing. Just saying I'm well aware of at least one style of this "off and on" thing. It was a nightmare in every respect. That chapter seems to be over. At least for today. Some of us have to pay attention everyday. True for me also (paying attention) in 3 years of maintenance. The tendency to over eat doesn't magically go away for many of us. It takes consistent effort. Eating low carb helps.

Sorry for the rant. As mentioned earlier, welcome back. You said in your original post today you feel better eating low carb. Do it. Daily. Surely you don't like feeling poorly? Low carb and gluten free work perfectly together. Good luck.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free now for 3 years, pretty much grain free (most GF products leaves a lot to be desired) I read labels on everything still. Condiments often have gluten in them, some spices too and specific types of grated cheese. Even found some in certain types of chocolate! There are some great GF sauces out there btw.

For eating out, cross contamination is your biggest worry. I quiz every waiter, most places are now getting a lot better about educating their staff.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Just skip the grains. And get rid of contaminated stuff like the butter, peanut butter, toaster, deeply scratched cutting boards, waffle irons or pans you can't get perfectly clean, stirring spoons with big grooves or scratches. Read all labels too - when you buy it and before using it just to be safe. Be aware that most soy sauces, many BBG sauces and worchestershire sauces have gluten. So do many spice mixes and many flavour pouches.

I have NEVER even considered THIS ^^... O.O I mean, yes, contaminated food makes sense, but janky kitchen tools? Never crossed my mind...

Sauces, mixes, and stuff, I knew about...but pans... Sheesh.

Thanks for this thought. Debating it again, despite negative tests, just because...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Celiac LCHF here too. Just to add to all the good advice above....Do not forget that there can be hidden wheat or other grain proteins in cosmetics and other body products like shampoos, conditioners, or lotions. You easily absorb them through your skin. That's why medical or nicotine patches work. There are always 1-800 numbers on the sides of products to phone the company and get GF status info. I know Avon has some labeled & certified GF skin care if you use moisturizer, cleanser, etc. Also for some celiacs dairy can be an issue (luckily not for me once I healed) and you may need to be off it for a bit until you feel better for a while then retry if you wish. I never eat GF faux treats and only have a good piece of GF toast once or twice a month (a dry-crispy craving of mine). Fakey GF stuff usually has way to many carbs to be worthwhile.
    In maintenance here for +3 yrs now.
    Welcome back to LCHF.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I have NEVER even considered THIS ^^... O.O I mean, yes, contaminated food makes sense, but janky kitchen tools? Never crossed my mind...

Sauces, mixes, and stuff, I knew about...but pans... Sheesh.

Thanks for this thought. Debating it again, despite negative tests, just because...

When I went GF, I only got rid of a few things: a really old plastic flipper/spatula that should be replaced soon anyways, my old wooden cutting boards and one old t-fal frying pan where the coating was coming off.

For my cast iron pots I just really scrubbed them and retreated them.

Oh, and I got rid of my mini muffin pan because I cannot seem to ever get that thing totally clean.

I actually kept my toaster over and just scrubbed it out well. A slotted toaster wouldn't work as well. ;)
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Celiac LCHF here too. Just to add to all the good advice above....Do not forget that there can be hidden wheat or other grain proteins in cosmetics and other body products like shampoos, conditioners, or lotions. You easily absorb them through your skin. That's why medical or nicotine patches work. There are always 1-800 numbers on the sides of products to phone the company and get GF status info. I know Avon has some labeled & certified GF skin care if you use moisturizer, cleanser, etc. Also for some celiacs dairy can be an issue (luckily not for me once I healed) and you may need to be off it for a bit until you feel better for a while then retry if you wish. I never eat GF faux treats and only have a good piece of GF toast once or twice a month (a dry-crispy craving of mine). Fakey GF stuff usually has way to many carbs to be worthwhile.
    In maintenance here for +3 yrs now.
    Welcome back to LCHF.

I totally forgot about that! I am very careful about GF (and oat free) soaps too. I think I must shower with my mouth open because I get soap in my mouth every few days. LOL

Aveeno is one oat obvious name I avoid.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my daughter & both sons have celiac, so we don't do wheat in our house anyway, but husband and i do LCHF diet, so it's rare for us to have carbs in the house. i honestly don't think it really helps with weight loss unless you are counting calories. (that's how it is for me, anyway...) hope you feel better soon. avoiding gluten is easy these days. not so much 5 years ago when we first started!
  • 2DUNNY
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We do not have traditional flour at home, only almond and coconut flour here. Nothing that even remotely looks like bread/pasta.
    We eat veggies, meat, cheese, nuts, some fruits, and non-dairy milk. I was successful in convincing my family to give up on sweeteners especially artificial ones. We do use strawberries and dates to sweeten things on occasion, but we have to be careful with dates they are very carby.

^^ agree

we use these same flours, ... we don't even have rice or oats in our house much anymore. when you stop eating carbs, you don't need much sweetener to make things taste sweet :smile:
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Me too. It took a year of gluten free LCHF to be able to do regular milk products. Even yet, I have to watch amount. A glass of milk on an empty stomach, no, on a stomach with something else in it, OK.

i did not know about shampoo etc. Thanks! I also do not do gluten free treats. I found they aren't worth it for both sugar and carb count. I currently do have some WOW cookies but they are the first I have bought in over 2 years. Gluten free bread is in the freezer but it is about one a month if that. Just when I have the urge for crunchy toast.

Good luck and keep going. I found it took some time for things to heal and weight loss to happen.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The worst culprits for body care contamination are the shampoos and conditioners and mousses/product that advertise increased body, thickness and fuller hair. The active ingredient is usually wheat protein to add lift & fullness.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Non-celiac gluten sensitive here. *waves*

Low carb, particularly very low carb, is a great framework that's gluten-friendly by default, since most just simply don't fit into this WOE. Combine it with Paleo and you've got what is arguably the easiest gluten-free lifestyle framework.

Those alone will get you something like 90-95% of the way there, with the remaining being dealing with the nefarious hidden sources and contaminated stuff.

Low carb, like gluten-free, works best when you can stay "on" as much as possible. Try to be as strict as possible for 4-6 weeks, and you should be able to get into the habit from it and see improvements in various aspects. Your anemia should also improve in that time (I get horrible anemia from long-term gluten exposure, too), which will help.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I went LC two years ago, strictly for weight loss purposes, and of course bread, pasta and so on went out of my life. I was surprised and thrilled when my Crohn's symptoms vastly improved within two months. Here's what I've learned about gluten sensitivity since then.

You don't have to be formally diagnosed with celiac disease to be gluten sensitive. Of those of us with chronic digestive conditions like Crohns, it's estimated that about half of us are gluten sensitive.

Further, what we are given to understand is "wheat" has been so dramatically hybridized over the last 50 years that our poor bodies barely recognize it as food, much less as the wheat that people have eaten for thousands of years. Once again, corporate farming practices have taken their toll. Fortunately, even before going LC I was never a big fan of wheat products; to me bread, hamburger buns, pasta et al were just the delivery trucks for the good stuff and I can do without.
  • 2DUNNY
    Options
    I went LC two years ago, strictly for weight loss purposes, and of course bread, pasta and so on went out of my life. I was surprised and thrilled when my Crohn's symptoms vastly improved within two months. Here's what I've learned about gluten sensitivity since then.

You don't have to be formally diagnosed with celiac disease to be gluten sensitive. Of those of us with chronic digestive conditions like Crohns, it's estimated that about half of us are gluten sensitive.

Further, what we are given to understand is "wheat" has been so dramatically hybridized over the last 50 years that our poor bodies barely recognize it as food, much less as the wheat that people have eaten for thousands of years. Once again, corporate farming practices have taken their toll. Fortunately, even before going LC I was never a big fan of wheat products; to me bread, hamburger buns, pasta et al were just the delivery trucks for the good stuff and I can do without.

this is true. i have found some sprouted wheat breads or organic all natural breads if you are craving bread and dont' want Wonder Bread.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    OP, thanks for starting this thread. I have gluten sensitivity, too much of it in a day and I can't even type my hands are so sore. Great advice here. And really hadn't thought of the body/hair products, an eye opener.

I <3 this group sooooooo much.
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have IBD - Ulcerative colitis and IBS. I was tested for celiac disease and it was negative, but I never considered I might be gluten sensitive. My GI issues have improved since going LCHF and I notice when I go off course and eat carby foods that my GI symptoms get worse. So from what I've read so far on gluten sensitivity is that products with gluten are absorbed into your skin and it can cause symptoms, is that correct? I use Aveeno oatmeal soap, Aveeno face wash and Aveeno oatmeal lotion daily, I have eczema on my hands and tend to get dry skin. Aveeno has been the only product I've found to help with both, I've tried so many different lotions and they always leave a greasy feeling on my skin I can't stand, but Aveeno doesn't. Any recommendations on lotions that do not feel greasy and a gentle body wash/soap & face wash that does not dry out your skin would be appreciated. I would like to see if it will make any difference with my GI symptoms.