today was my first day on keto...can someone

Options
TnTWalter
TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
check my diary and see how I did and what I can improve?

I'm 46 167 pounds [goal 145] and 5'2" work out at least 4 x per week doing an hour boot camp [weights and cardio]. goal is to also run 2-3 times per week [i used to run].

I was fit throughout my 30s and in low 130s and looked fit.

Been struggling since hit 40 but since about age 42 weight has gone up and up...

Thanks. Trish

ps did a bulletproof coffee to get fat in and it was so good...i was surprised... i did 1 T of coconut oil, butter and whip cream and a half packet of stevia.

Replies

• TnTWalter
    Options
    i guess my BF at 39% based on pictures. i am flabby with muscle underneath.
  • TnTWalter
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Since looking at your set goals, I actually think your fat intake looks just fine even with the BPC. Since you ate quite low fat for your meals, it's probably a good thing on a day like this one.
    I think what you ate today looks great personally.
    Only thing to note is your sodium was a bit low unless you got additional that just wasn't entered. Keep the sodium up to avoid what is commonly called "Keto flu".
    Today was great! Nice start!
  • TnTWalter
    Options
    thank you sunny. i know i have enough fat on my body so i wasn't sure but i wanted to keep hunger at bay? i am drinking a mug of broth right now but didn't enter it. i did enjoy the BPC today...didn't think i'd like it. but it was nice.

i'm a little concerned to be so low calorie wise because i don't want body to go into starvation mode [my metabolism already stinks lol].

Thanks.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    thank you sunny. i know i have enough fat on my body so i wasn't sure but i wanted to keep hunger at bay? i am drinking a mug of broth right now but didn't enter it. i did enjoy the BPC today...didn't think i'd like it. but it was nice.

i'm a little concerned to be so low calorie wise because i don't want body to go into starvation mode [my metabolism already stinks lol].

Thanks.

I get what you're saying. The starvation mode thing really isn't a thing until you get down to essential bodyfat levels though. However, it's smart to be aware of intake. If you're following hunger signals and not forcing yourself to push through hunger for fear of going over calories it should all be just fine.
    Our bodies are very smart. If we need food, we will get hungry. Bodyfat is food. It totally counts as food. When you have plenty of it available and you teach your body how to access it by restricting carbs, it's very common to eat a lot less food. At least for a while. At some point, the bodyfat significantly reduces and hunger will increase. This will happen long before you're ready to stop losing bodyfat. It will become more difficult to keep calories low.
  • TnTWalter
    Options
    I was fit in my 30s doing the high protein thing but I've tried and failed multiple times since so thought I'd try to do more fat to feel fuller. Today was really tough as I wasn't full. So I need to tweek my meals better for tomorrow.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Your diary looked pretty good to me too. :)

Be aware that low sodium can cause hunger feelings too. Taking salt tablets, or just eating a teaspoon of salt with water can really help.

Some eat a bit more to begin with while adjusting to low carb. If hunger is an issue still, try eating a bit more. Or let your calories slide around a bit. When I was losing I averaged about 1500 kcal but I ate 1000 to 2000 kcal each day. I rarely hit the average but it still averaged out fine.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    I was fit in my 30s doing the high protein thing but I've tried and failed multiple times since so thought I'd try to do more fat to feel fuller. Today was really tough as I wasn't full. So I need to tweek my meals better for tomorrow.

I just want to clarify that I'm not suggesting high protein. 0.8 to 1.0g per pound of lean body mass is considered minimum for maintaining or building muscle on low carb.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm only 2" taller than you and started about the same weight as you. These first 2 pictures I was following the kind of keto that was all about "getting my fat in" and limiting protein.
    Then I learned I didn't need to meet the fat grams, that it wasn't a goal and that protein was in fact a minimum goal I needed to meet and could go over if I wanted too and the last 2 pictures are what happened then.
    This is why I am generally pro protein and cautious about overdoing fat. I wish I had started out differently.
    3bdg6fiih1nf.jpg

Thank you for the insight. Although I do not do fat bombs or bullets, I might be overly concerned about keeping my fat macro grams to 50% of ttl. For example, I had a vegetable stir-fry (sans rice) yesterday, but "balanced" all those good veg carbs with 1 pc of korean porkbelly. ...so please elaborate at what you changed last winter or what your macro goals were. I am generally losing ~ 1/2lb/wk and would love to bump-up my results too. Currently, I am aiming for 25-35 net carbs and 45g protein daily.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    I'm only 2" taller than you and started about the same weight as you. These first 2 pictures I was following the kind of keto that was all about "getting my fat in" and limiting protein.
    Then I learned I didn't need to meet the fat grams, that it wasn't a goal and that protein was in fact a minimum goal I needed to meet and could go over if I wanted too and the last 2 pictures are what happened then.
    This is why I am generally pro protein and cautious about overdoing fat. I wish I had started out differently.
    3bdg6fiih1nf.jpg

Thank you for the insight. Although I do not do fat bombs or bullets, I might be overly concerned about keeping my fat macro grams to 50% of ttl. For example, I had a vegetable stir-fry (sans rice) yesterday, but "balanced" all those good veg carbs with 1 pc of korean porkbelly. ...so please elaborate at what you changed last winter or what your macro goals were. I am generally losing ~ 1/2lb/wk and would love to bump-up my results too. Currently, I am aiming for 25-35 net carbs and 45g protein daily.

I stopped adding extra fat to my plate. I would use hwc in coffee and/or butter and I would put a dab of butter on meat and go heavy on the sour cream and such because so much of what I was reading said that is what you were supposed to do.
    I now just cook in only the required amount of fat and don't add fat to my food after. I switched to half n half when I want it otherwise I'll drink black coffee.
    I was using MCT oil also but that was for a specific reason that I have stopped using for now while I lose this last bodyfat.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Since looking at your set goals, I actually think your fat intake looks just fine even with the BPC. Since you ate quite low fat for your meals, it's probably a good thing on a day like this one.
    Only thing to note is your sodium was a bit low unless you got additional that just wasn't entered. Keep the sodium up to avoid what is commonly called "Keto flu".

@Sunny_Bunny_ What would suggest as macros if, for weight loss purposes, we don't need to add in so much fat. I have been adding fat to get 70 to 75% fat and weight loss is extraordinarily slow (though I am 62 which also makes a difference). Cals are 1300/day.

Also, I read (forget where) that low fat (ingested)/low carb is a difficult diet to stay on. I did that for a year-ish, lost 80 pounds but was starving through the whole thing. My body was certainly getting its fat needs met by catabolizing my body fat, but I was hungry all the time. I ate protein at 2 oz, 4 oz and 4 oz of protein for my 3 daily meals, low carb veggies at each meal and 1/2 cup of a starchy carb at one meal (no grains). Added fat was 1 tsp per meal so 1 TBL/day.

I'd like to try to speed up the weight loss but have been staying the course for fear of upsetting my personal apple cart and regaining weight.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    edited August 2017
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »

@Sunny_Bunny_ What would suggest as macros if, for weight loss purposes, we don't need to add in so much fat. I have been adding fat to get 70 to 75% fat and weight loss is extraordinarily slow (though I am 62 which also makes a difference). Cals are 1300/day.

Also, I read (forget where) that low fat (ingested)/low carb is a difficult diet to stay on. I did that for a year-ish, lost 80 pounds but was starving through the whole thing. My body was certainly getting its fat needs met by catabolizing my body fat, but I was hungry all the time. I ate protein at 2 oz, 4 oz and 4 oz of protein for my 3 daily meals, low carb veggies at each meal and 1/2 cup of a starchy carb at one meal (no grains). Added fat was 1 tsp per meal so 1 TBL/day.

I'd like to try to speed up the weight loss but have been staying the course for fear of upsetting my personal apple cart and regaining weight.

I'm not saying eat low fat.
    Any time not eating lots of fat is mentioned, the assumption immediately goes to low fat. I'm suggesting high fat that's not so high it doesn't allow body fat to be lost.
    For this, Phinneys chart here has always made the most sense to me.
    Let's say it takes 2000 calories for you to maintain your current weight.
    88m3yxzxypvq.jpg

Your protein of 20% from 2000 calories is 100g.
    Your carbs in the adapt stage are 35g or 140 calories.
    That leaves 1460 calories. Now subtract your calorie deficit. Let's say 500 calories.
    That means 106g fat provides 960 dietary calories and the rest from bodyfat.

In this example protein is about 27% of the 1500 calories. Carbs are about 9% and fat is 64%. But only if the dietary intake. If you break it down by TDEE it is more of a protein 20%, carbs 5% and fat 75%.
    People are usually applying those ratios to their calorie deficit. Then they are actually overeating fat and undereating protein.
    It's also perfectly fine to eat more protein if you want. I do because I find it to be the most satiating.

These are hypothetical numbers. It would need to be calculated from your actual TDEE.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    yjs6fh59kife.jpg
  • TnTWalter
    Options
    it's been tough but i feel great...day 6...pre planning the day is really helping. thanks so much.
  • ActiveMinutiae
    ActiveMinutiae Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am now completely confused.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I am now completely confused.

Here is simple:
    • Carbs are a ceiling in grams.
    • Protein is a range in grams based off your height/weight/activity level.
    • Fill the rest of your calories with fat.
    • If you are losing weight, that fat number will be less (thanks to calorie deficit) than when you are maintaining.

The bullet list is what you need to know to start keto. The rest is Advanced Keto. The exact perfect ratio of fat:carbs:protein is going to be a YMMV that you will discover once you get this thing down.

The important thing to know is that keto (now by keto I don't mean medically supervised ketosis but just nutritional ketosis. The ratio is imperative in medical keto diets for them to work on neurological diseases.) goes nuts about the fat partially to push back against the decades of fat fear-mongering. "Look. Come to keto! We have bacon and cheese!" We know lowfat is complete BS and that too low fat intake is harmful. The take away is: fat is good, don't fear it. Unfortunately, the take away for some folks is: dump loads of fat down your gullet. This is particularly harmful for keto-folk who don't log calories and just rely on satiety. They often add too much fat, and then find they aren't losing weight. Fat is more calorie dense. A lot of the time they also aren't getting enough protein.

So, eat fatty cuts of meat, high-fat/low-carb dairy, a little nuts, a little avocado, and cook your meat and veggies in healthy saturated fats (butter, tallow, lard, coconut oil), but there is no need (plus it can be detrimental to your weight loss efforts) to add extra fat beyond that point over and over: i.e. constant fat bombs, fully loaded BPC with way too much cream, eating oils by the spoonful, peanut butter dipped in butter... The ketosis is about the lack of carbs and not the presence of fat. We need fat to be healthy, satisfied, and to feel good, but it's not all about the fat.

A lot of people find that too much fat and too little protein stall them, as their body is preferentially choosing to burn the dietary fat over the body fat that needs to go. THAT is what they are saying.

I personally found that I felt better with more protein than my minimum range since I workout pretty hard. When I go too far in maintenance and have to cut back down, the fat is the what is decreased. I never ever was higher than about 63% fat during the whole 1.5 years I was keto. I tried to achieve higher early on, but I needed more protein. Toward the end, I migrated toward 60%. Again, YMMV, as others, like diabetics, must consider what is too much protein for them. Otherwise, IMO, if you are keto and eating low-carbs AND higher-fat, you can't really overeat protein. Or rather, I should say, it isn't likely. Even my ravenous, unchecked appetite couldn't pack in enough protein to get too high.