Newbie trying to learn how to jump in

Options
Hi Everyone; I am a newbie to Keto, learning my way. I would love to connect with fellow people who are on keto and share dairy etc... so I can learn from others. Any tips on how to start, foods to keep it simple. etc... I have PCOS so weight loss has always been a challenge(I am hoping to be 30 lbs down.... dream world would be 50-- doable?!), everything I read says this could be my saving grace.... I always try to eat healthily but it seems to never fall off...heres to hoping!!!

Thanks in advance for the tips, tricks and support!! :)

P.s- Does anyone use the products I keep seeing, Pruvit? Dr Berg Wheatgrass stuff? etc.... also does those strips work and worth it?

Replies

• RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi Briana, any advice I could give is keep it simple at first. I stay under 20 net carbs, use my fat % as a lever and only eat until full ( I do watch calories as well, but that is a personal choice, some don't). If you are doing keto dt allergies at all, then of course you'll want to avoid those things, but for me, I do more of a lazy keto, meaning Im not super strict, and IIFYM (if It fits your macros) I will allow, to a certain point. Low carb tortillas are a staple for me and previously never had any issues.

I also think planning ahead is key for starting out. I take Sunday afternoon and meal prep for a majority of the week. I also make meals that will be at least 2 dinners and a lunch, which cuts down on not only prep time during the week, but also takes a lot of guesswork out of your macros, etc. If you've logged it once, you can log it even quicker the next time.

I had the strips in the beginning, but quickly found out they aren't really a great monitor for success or even being in Ketosis, if anything try getting the blood monitor, at least may be a bit more accurate.

As far as supplements go, ive never used any of the Pruvit or any other "Keto" product. Your body will naturally go into ketosis without having any of those, and from what I have read/researched, you are paying quite a bit for something you can do by just making the proper food choices. Note: Im not for or against them, just my opinion and what I have read.

I do take a handful of supplements though, as far as Vitamins go. I take daily Fish oil, B12 complex w/electrolytes, Collagen/biotin, Magnesium, a pro biotic, calcium & Iron (Though should note that part of that is bc of a medical condition).

Good Luck, my diary is open, though not a great resource now as I am just diving back in as well.
  • swammertime
    swammertime Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi Briana! I have pcos too, and I just saw a nutritionist about it. Among some me-specific eating habit changes we discussed, she also suggested getting a daily multivitamin and protein powder. She says that's her baseline suggestion for all her pcos patients. I got a whey powder, but I'm already looking to switch to a vegetable protein powder. I also asked her about inositol, idk if you've read anything about it but it seems like it's becoming a popular substitute for metformin in patients with pcos. My multivitamin has some in it but I may just get the separate tabs or powder, in which case she said the multivitamin was unnecessary.

If you have pcos, there's a chance your insurance may cover nutritional appointments, and if that's the case I would recommend it. It's nice to have someone helping me manage this while I get on my feet and figure out how to make time to do meal prep.

Good luck :)
  • 1mom22boyz
    1mom22boyz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Briana!
    I'm starting my keto journey on Monday! I'm excited, but nervous. I'd love to help each other out!
  • Meredith_MI
    Meredith_MI Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also a newbie & could use some company. Been listening to the 2 Keto Dudes podcast. Bulletproof coffee in the morning then Keto lunch around 2pm & Keto dinner before 8pm.
  • cbrimas
    cbrimas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just started my keto journey on Wednesday and I also have PCOS. Hoping this way of eating finally helps!

I went to Costco and bought Egglands omelet with ham and cheese and the Kirkland low sodium bacon (baked in the oven!) for breakfast. Also, made a pretty amazing pizza dough last night with super fine almond flour, cream cheese, and mozzarella cheese (google carlshead pizza) and it's enough for three meals! I added pepperoni, bacon crumbles (again from Costco), and mozzarella cheese and dipped in ranch dressing.

I've been listening to the 2 keto dudes podcast too!
  • Meredith_MI
    Options
    I should mention I also have PCOS.
  • mamajaime388
    mamajaime388 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've been on keto for about 6 weeks and have lost about 30 pounds. I love this WOE! I've found it to be very easy to follow and haven't been tempted to cheat at all, which is a great relief! I have PCOS as well, and have tried every diet out there. This is the one I've had the most success with, by far. One thing I'm very happy about is that my inflammation saw great relief, even in the first week. Anyone can feel free to friend me if you'd like to support each other. We can all use as much encouragement as we can get, am I right? Good luck with your journey! You've got this!
  • amandaea129
    amandaea129 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also a newbie with PCOS. I'm starting today. I have a lot to lose (110 pounds+) and nothing else has worked, so here's hoping. Good luck on your journey!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new also. I started my keto journey on 7/30/17. I'm a little over 5 pounds down so far. I first tested "trace" for ketones on 8/1, low on 8/2, and moderate on 8/4. So far I am enjoying the journey. Nice to meet you all!
  • lavenderdawn7
    lavenderdawn7 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you. Resolved my PCOS years ago with a hysterectomy( I was done having babies so...) but am trying to lower my blood glucose. Just got back from 10 days at Lark World Music and Dance Camp and I kept pretty faithful to keto WOE. Going to hit the scale in a minute and see what happened. Feel free to friend me! Hope you enjoy your time here.
  • Meredith_MI
    Options
    So let's check in, how is everyone doing this week?
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    So let's check in, how is everyone doing this week?

Great Idea for a check in. My "official" weigh in will not be until Monday AM, however wrapping up week 2, I am down about 8#. I have made myself daily and weekly mini personal (non scale) goals and I have hit them/exceeded them the past two weeks which make me really happy.

My TOM did come crashing in a week early, but the 1st time I started Keto, that was the norm, so not concerned for now.

I am seeing less bloat, though, see above, TOM isn't helping much lol. Overall feeling good. I haven't had a single day of "Keto flu" but I think that is from my previous experience I knew how to avoid as much as possible.

Hope you all have a had a great week, or two weeks, wherever you are in your new WOE.

Have a great weekend all!

• lavenderdawn7
    Options
    I'm doing good. Went over my carbs last night with bloody mary's but only 58 for the day so not too bad. i'm going on a trip tomorrow so we will see how i do while traveling.
  • clcabe
    clcabe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! Happy to find this board! Hoping to pick up great tips. My husband and I are diabetic and started keto to reign in his glucose. So far it's working well but I can't tell if we are in ketosis and I'm worried we're eating too much fat, so thought I should start logging. I had been dreading logging. We have not lost any weight, but haven't gained either. We've been doing this for about 3 weeks, so no weight loss makes me wonder also. However, we're ok not losing, just thought we would?
  • lavenderdawn7
    Options
    down 10 lbs, beginning week 6. just printed out a ton of recipes from diet dr. my bf has been helping me by eating keto for dinner when we are home together. fathead pizza was great success! Beef n broccoli w riced cauliflower was good too. I think it's gonna work out!
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Clcabe - logging your food is a pain but definitely helps to see where you can improve. Maybe you aren't losing because you are at a normal weight. I am 60 -70 pounds overweight. I have lost 4 lbs of water in the first 3 days. I can't tell if I am in ketosis but have stayed under 20 net grams carbs each day. Very hopeful to see at least 10-15 pounds gone after 30 days.
  • mreidkramer
    mreidkramer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a group of like-minded friends. But I see it has been a little while since anyone posted... Is this group still active?
  • cherbear1858
    cherbear1858 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am hoping it is active. I just found the steam.
  • MJ_Keto
    MJ_Keto Posts: 60 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would love for this thread to be active! I just started keto on Monday and I'm definitely feeling the carb withdrawal today.
  • MiyazakiChick
    MiyazakiChick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am a Keto newbie too. I started Keto, at my doctor's recommendation, at the end of September and was in ketosis beginning of October.
    I would suggest drinking plenty of water