Newbie Advice

Options
JustJeff1977
JustJeff1977 Posts: 27 Member
I completed my first day at this and am looking for tips and comments. If you are interested, please take a look at what I ate!

I'm surprised I hit 50 carbs (higher than I thought I would)- mostly surprised that the majority came from the vegetables I chose.

In general, do my goals look correct? Did I do ok where I ended up? (Note: I'm not trying for a calorie deficit right now)

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    FYI, most of us (I think) use net carbs - total carbs less fiber carbs.

It might be worth your time to peruse the sticky threads on Sodium and the LCD Launch Pad.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
    They have a great collection of info on all sorts of LC topics - especially valuable for beginners!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary,but 50g of carbs sounds good. What is your carb goal?

I am one who just goes with total carbs. I'm too lazy to worry about figuring out net carbs. ;):)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Your food choices look good to me-real food.

Unless you're striving for ketosis for medically therapeutic reasons, 50 carbs is fine. As mentioned above, it was 50 total and the net was lower.

Personally, I focus on total. Most of my carbs come from vegetables so net is lower if I were to be interested in total versus net (total carbs minus fiber=net carbs). The minute I start giving Total vs Net too much focus is the minute I know I'm eating the "wrong" things and am trying to justify what I ate. :)
  • JustJeff1977
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.. Apparently these posts don't show up in the "My Conversations" tab so I had to go looking..
  • RalfLott
    Options
    JeffHaber wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.. Apparently these posts don't show up in the "My Conversations" tab so I had to go looking..

How's it going?
  • JustJeff1977
    Options
    Pretty good. I'm adjusting to the new numbers (only tracked calories before). Went through the flu symptoms last week. Not feeling much different. How long for that?
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Pretty good. I'm adjusting to the new numbers (only tracked calories before). Went through the flu symptoms last week. Not feeling much different. How long for that?

Staying hydrated and taking in 4-5g of sodium per day?

According to keto expert Steven Phinney, your body requires a certain amount of time to adjust to the change. As you start losing fat and fluid, all sorts of stuff is being evicted from your cells. So .... plenty of replacement fluids to help show the flotsam and jetsam a quick exit, and plenty of salt to replace the sodium that's now being flushed by your kidneys. Drinking broth throughout the day seems to work well for some people.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You sodium is very low for someone who is low carb/keto - if you increase that (like triple current consumption) it will likely stop the flu symptoms.
  • JustJeff1977
    Options
    Thanks.. I was hitting 6 and 7 grams last week so I wanted to tone it down a little but went overboard. I cooked the boston butt to lower the sodium a bit and save some money over the constant cold cut purchases. I think I'll try adding something salty to it. I drink a lot of water, iced tea, and some coffee during the day so I think I'm ok with the water though I don't track it well. I've been meaning to look into broth- so is that just hot water and a bouillon cube then?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Thanks.. I was hitting 6 and 7 grams last week so I wanted to tone it down a little but went overboard. I cooked the boston butt to lower the sodium a bit and save some money over the constant cold cut purchases. I think I'll try adding something salty to it. I drink a lot of water, iced tea, and some coffee during the day so I think I'm ok with the water though I don't track it well. I've been meaning to look into broth- so is that just hot water and a bouillon cube then?

For me it is.. er, was. Now I toss a few in a pan and add LC vegetables, seeds, nuts, spices, and maybe some sort of protein, usually pre-cooked salmon (toward the end).

(If I'm feeling tired, I'll scoop a cup or two of broth out before I start the improvements.)