• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Pfft. Quit making sense.
    ;)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    but there's no money in that solution....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    "Simple" - what all lurks in such an innocent concept!

(Might be slightly simplistic...)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    This gave me a good chuckle!! :D
  • RalfLott
    Options
    So... I was at a 50th anniversary party yesterday for a couple that collectively has not put on more than 10-15 lbs since they were married. However, there were folks in attendance who looked, er, like slightly more likely to have blood sugar issues.

I have to admit that the thoughts going through my mind were not as elegant as those above. (More like, "No, that mountain of cake is not going straight to your biceps.... ")
  • Batpapaw
    Batpapaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I concur.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    So... I was at a 50th anniversary party yesterday for a couple that collectively has not put on more than 10-15 lbs since they were married. However, there were folks in attendance who looked, er, like slightly more likely to have blood sugar issues.

I have to admit that the thoughts going through my mind were not as elegant as those above. (More like, "No, that mountain of cake is not going straight to your biceps.... ")

Probably not, but I have photographic evidence of a mountain of potatoes and rice going straight to mine. :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Probably not, but I have photographic evidence of a mountain of potatoes and rice going straight to mine. :D

@Gallowmere1984 - Within a strict training/refeed program, my friend. Don't scare the people at home.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but having watched my mother on her deathbed from diabetic complications (simultaneous liver and kidney failure-not sure if her taking Invokana had anything to do with it) all ads for diabetic meds make me irrationally angry. :rage: Keep taking their money and keep killing them after years of carefully milking each cash cow. Not funny.

I am also mad at her though. Her last dr was on the right track and had her cut her carbs under 120g (which isn't enough and I told her so but what do I know...), but I think her dr gave up on her because she stopped eating right after getting almost completely off insulin. She regained all the weight, ended up on Invokana, and deteriorated quickly after that. Got sepsis again after kidney trouble. Kidneys failed then liver. Died on hospice because she was too old for a liver transplant.

And it's also my fault because I wasn't b!tchy enough about her carbs when I talked to her.

This isn't something to play around with. And because it's a slow killer people just don't get it.

Sorry...Like I said, it pisses me off.
    /rant
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@Gallowmere1984 - Within a strict training/refeed program, my friend. Don't scare the people at home.

Haha, fair enough. Content is king, but context is god, and all of that. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I'm sorry but having watched my mother on her deathbed from diabetic complications (simultaneous liver and kidney failure-not sure if her taking Invokana had anything to do with it) all ads for diabetic meds make me irrationally angry. :rage: Keep taking their money and keep killing them after years of carefully milking each cash cow. Not funny.

I am also mad at her though. Her last dr was on the right track and had her cut her carbs under 120g (which isn't enough and I told her so but what do I know...), but I think her dr gave up on her because she stopped eating right after getting almost completely off insulin. She regained all the weight, ended up on Invokana, and deteriorated quickly after that. Got sepsis again after kidney trouble. Kidneys failed then liver. Died on hospice because she was too old for a liver transplant.

And it's also my fault because I wasn't b!tchy enough about her carbs when I talked to her.

This isn't something to play around with. And because it's a slow killer people just don't get it.

/rant

@baconslave (all the hugs) (tears) (more hugs) I try and try with my mother too. She's gotten to the point she doesn't even ask about side effects anymore and has allergic responses to pretty much every vitamin/nutrient/supplement out there. Accepts that sugar/fruit carbs aren't good, but won't dial back the rest, blaming it on cost. But my stepdad had a heart attack and gets the T2D diagnosis - is told low fat, whole grains, etc. nonsense. I can lead the horses to water, but I can't make them drink. (feels super sad, but has learned to let go of most of the guilt) (more hugs, tears, and hugs)

P.S. Rant on....we get you.
  • baconslave
    Options

/rant

@baconslave (all the hugs) (tears) (more hugs) I try and try with my mother too. She's gotten to the point she doesn't even ask about side effects anymore and has allergic responses to pretty much every vitamin/nutrient/supplement out there. Accepts that sugar/fruit carbs aren't good, but won't dial back the rest, blaming it on cost. But my stepdad had a heart attack and gets the T2D diagnosis - is told low fat, whole grains, etc. nonsense. I can lead the horses to water, but I can't make them drink. (feels super sad, but has learned to let go of most of the guilt) (more hugs, tears, and hugs)

If mom and dad hadn't moved to the SC coast to chase mom's inheritance, then she would have been here and I could have been more of an overbearing cow about it. But she almost died, spent 4 months in the hospital, made it out but was basically bedridden. That was my catalyst to go low-carb. Then her dr told her to cut her carbs around the time I visited and she saw I lost so much weight, so she was inspired and did it. She lost all kinds of weight, started walking again, almost got off insulin completely. Then my sister came in to visit them...she and dad did all the Christmas carbpocalypse...she started eating it and that was the end of it. By May the next year she was dead. My sister will be diabetic before too long. Dad's here with me now so I'm a good influence and he's fine.

In the end though, our parents are grown-*kitten* adults (I know sometimes that's debatable :lol: ), and they have to do it themselves.

Sorry for the hijack. I'm done. :smile:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find it extremely disturbing to watch people I care about digging their grave with their fork. Not much I can do about it if they won't listen, but it's still hard.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

/rant

If mom and dad hadn't moved to the SC coast to chase mom's inheritance, then she would have been here and I could have been more of an overbearing cow about it. But she almost died, spent 4 months in the hospital, made it out but was basically bedridden. That was my catalyst to go low-carb. Then her dr told her to cut her carbs around the time I visited and she saw I lost so much weight, so she was inspired and did it. She lost all kinds of weight, started walking again, almost got off insulin completely. Then my sister came in to visit them...she and dad did all the Christmas carbpocalypse...she started eating it and that was the end of it. By May the next year she was dead. My sister will be diabetic before too long. Dad's here with me now so I'm a good influence and he's fine.

In the end though, our parents are grown-*kitten* adults (I know sometimes that's debatable :lol: ), and they have to do it themselves.

What a heartbreaking experience. And it must hurt to feel powerless because you can't force the person you love to make one simple change that will improve their health and keep them around. :(
  • baconslave
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

/rant

What a heartbreaking experience. And it must hurt to feel powerless because you can't force the person you love to make one simple change that will improve their health and keep them around. :(

It is. And now I understand my husband better, now that I know exactly what it's like to be the one watching.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

/rant

Invokana is part of a class of drug that sounds like a better alternative for T2D. It basically prevents re-absorption of glucose so that you pee it out. In theory, this sounds better than other options which lower BG by increasing insulin.

However, this also can cause a cascade of events which can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. Jackie Eberstein explained this in her presentation on the 2016 Low Carb Cruise (also found in Livin La Vida Low Carb episode 1155).

This is what happened to a friend of mine last month. By all accounts, he should be dead. Upon admission and even through the first couple days, the doctors did not expect him to make it. He was on a ventilator for over a week under deep sedation. He is still in the hospital doing rehab where he was admitted on 7/14 and will be there for at least another weak. He is only late 40's and probably only about 20-30 lbs overweight at this point but, due to this incident still can't even walk except very short distances with the aid of a walker.

Meanwhile, the hospital is feeding him meals with more carbs than I would eat in 2 weeks and injecting him with insulin. Morons.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I find it extremely disturbing to watch people I care about digging their grave with their fork. Not much I can do about it if they won't listen, but it's still hard.

"digging their grave with their fork"
    A sobering statement.
    At least it should be...
  • RalfLott
    Options

I am pretty sure that these folks are not within a day's drive of your protocol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I am pretty sure that these folks are not within a day's drive of your protocol.

That could be said for 99.9% of the population. If I weren't me, I'd think that I was off my rocker with the way that I do things.