Question About Eating Fat

Options
13»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Not @Gallowmere1984 but NEAT is Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. It is the system used by MFP. It works great if you use it as intended. Generally speaking it is an estimated energy expenditure based on what one does routinely fidget, walk to the kitchen, make a bed, walk to the garage and drive to the store. It is greater than your BMR but usually lower than your TDEE. As I have mentioned a few time, you are here on MFP. Learn what MFP does and use it. If you happened to slide over my post above where I explained to you how and why you got the "numbers" you did from MFP (which are not "wonky" by the way) review it again:
    kpk54 wrote: »
    When you changed your weight loss goal to 1 pound per week, MFP changed both your calories needed AND resorted back to it's default macro settings of 50-20-30 which is why you got 1200 calories, 150 carbs etc. That is how MFP works. What it does.

The 1186 calories you are seeing, are the calories you need to eat at a deficit. They are not your TDEE. The only way you will get your (sort of) TDEE in MFP is if you enter that you want to MAINTAIN AND you have reasonably accurately entered your activity level AND your activity is reasonably constant day in and day out.

Go with the last set of numbers.

There is nothing wonky with them. It is how MFP works.

Sounding Cruel to be Kind: I will add to that, play around with MFP to see how it works. If you edit something, MFP may edit/default something else as explained above. Learn the system you are working with. You're not going to break it and honestly, all you need to know for weight loss is calories. The rest is nice to know stuff or need to know stuff for specific health/fitness goals. You'll be much further ahead to play around with MFP to see how it works than to have others play around with your stats because hopefully those stats will change and you will then need to adjust MFP...or come back here and give your stats again and ask someone to figure things out for you. Cruel to be kind...

If you're on a desktop, go to my profile and look at my pics. That chick in the white sweatshirt with the big fat belly was me at about age 59. That slender chick is the black shirt and jeans is me at age 60. I counted calories, exercised daily and ate moderately low carb (not keto) and basically let my protein and fat fall where they fell because I generally eat a varied diet of fish/meat/dairy/vegetables/a bit of fruit/nuts and seeds/full fats and oil. I've been maintaining for 3 years by getting some exercise for health, eating at a wide range of low carb at various times and paying attention to calories.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    More info: with NEAT, you "eat back" exercise calories. That is how MFP is designed. Whether or not you eat them back is up to you. I did, if I was hungry. I mostly used "calories burned" as a "cushion" because through weight loss, I did not weigh or measure everything precisely and believe I am pretty average thus pretty bad at estimating food quantities. Also, I know that most of these activity trackers over estimate the calories burned (not all of them all of the time) and like everything else, they are just an estimate. A guide.

If you don't want to enter your exercise because entering it auto adjusts the calories overall and by macro BUT you want to track your exercise...override whatever "calories burned" MFP gives you and enter 1 calorie burned. You'll have record of exercise and no "messing" with other numbers.

Hope this helps someone with their use of MFP and weight/fat loss.
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @baconslave thank you. Simplicity is what I'm looking for. I don't understand all the scientifics and numbers. Right now, 10 days in, eating at approximately 1100-1200 calories and staying in the range of 5/30/65. Most days I am losing around 1/2 lb so I'm happy. I'm down a total of 5 lbs and for me that is awesome.

@kpk54 I read every single post thoroughly. I thank each of you for taking of your time to help me understand what I've embarked on and I hope one day I can return the favor in kind to someone else struggling to understand it all. As a rule of thumb I don't eat back calories from exercise at all. I like that additional deficit. I think I'll stay where I'm at calories and macro wise until I hit the 150 mark and then maybe bump up a few to see what happens. This will only mean adding in a piece of fruit at first. And I didn't think you were being cruel at all-just keeping it real. Thank you again and I am most definitely going to check out your profile page for inspiration.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ My stats are age 55, height 5'0", weight 153, body fat 42 (may be a little less but go with that). I exercise 5 or 6 days a week doing P90X and/or cardio and I don't phone it in and give it my all. If you want to play around with numbers for me that I can just plug in I'd be in your debt!

@kpk54 thank you. I have no idea why I'm nutting up over these numbers except with the body fat I have to lose already, I don't want to pack more on it needlessly.

The TDEE you had seems to be right for a sedentary person from the calculators I checked. I think most people set the calculators to sedentary and let the exercise calories be bonus deficit and suppose as long as you're feeling good and not making yourself go hungry then you should be fine with that.
    If it were me, I'd probably set calories to minimum of 1200 but I wouldn't make myself eat if I wasn't hungry. As long as I also felt good. And I'd eat more if I was hungry of course.
    But for the sake of determining protein needs, I'd consider about 85-90g an absolute minimum and eat more if you want. I really like the video I mentioned from that other thread that suggests 1g per pound of ideal body weight. So maybe around 100-120g if you just go with that recommendation. Knowing that's more than you really need but helps keep you satisfied and removes any concern of under eating it.

Idk
    I guess we've talked this death now. ;)
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thank you! I'll probably do the increase after I reach 150. I'm losing at a steady rate right now and feeling full for the most part. If I go over, I do. I don't stress that as long as I know I'm somewhere in the target of where I should be. You've been most helpful in this.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thank you! I'll probably do the increase after I reach 150. I'm losing at a steady rate right now and feeling full for the most part. If I go over, I do. I don't stress that as long as I know I'm somewhere in the target of where I should be. You've been most helpful in this.

Sounds great. Don't fix what ain't broke. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day in this group and THIS kind of helpfulness is what I have been looking for. I'm a member of a few other groups and it's mostly crickets. Thank you OP for your question and thank you to all who have answered. You all have been a tremendous help!

Lol crickets at least are a bit better than anti-LC dragons spouting fire ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Today is my first day in this group and THIS kind of helpfulness is what I have been looking for. I'm a member of a few other groups and it's mostly crickets. Thank you OP for your question and thank you to all who have answered. You all have been a tremendous help!

True! A carping colony of cacophonous crickets can still be pretty *kitten* annoying after a while...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

I believe crickets can also fit into a keto diet. Just saying.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go crazy on the carb-heavy sauce
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    ... What's a 'carb'....?

;)

:D