Vivid dreams

Options
SammieCosme
SammieCosme Posts: 48 Member
So today is my 3rd day on keto and I woke up crying like a full cry that actually woke me up. Is that normal with keto? Is it because of the drastic change to my body.?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's probably a hormone shift since your body manufactures hormones from fat and if you were low fat previously you may have been unable to manufacture what your body thinks it needed, so maybe a flood of hormones as building block became available?
  • SammieCosme
    SammieCosme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Would make sense because I also got my monthly a week early. And for some reason my cramps are full force!!!
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The dreams have been crazy! Very vivid, at times viloent and scary. Like where is that coming from lol?
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I very rarely remember my dreams, and when I do they are usually all about sex...<shrug>...vivid, oh yeah, better than a movie!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There is a change in your brain fuel when going low carb and/or keto... This can cause more brain activity while sleeping, relating to remembering your dreams, dreaming in vivid color or activity, or being so ... just intense that you wake feeling slightly worn out... For some people, this fades over time, for others, it requires changing things up... There are too many options to mention of what to change... The hormonal shifts, the energy shifts, sleeping deeper, sleeping better, all play a part...
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss you described what I am going through perfectly. I go to bed around 11:00 and wake up at 1:30 am wide awake. The rest of the night I'm in a semi-awake dreaming vividly sleep. One of those you wake yourself out of and go right back to :( And then when I get up, I'm more tired than when I went to bed. It takes a few hours to shake that off, or I drink a glass of No Salt Water and that helps. I'll be glad when that subsides.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Most people know about supplement timing, like you take any D3/K2 during daytime, and take magnesium at night (or both day and night, if you tolerate it okay)... MCT oil during the day (instant brain fuel), etc.

Additionally, unless you're a very rare exception, you can have a few more carbs at dinner time to help the sleep.

If you continue to have insomnia like reactions, having a bit of sea salt before bed helps, there are amino acid therapies, and temporarily (if doctor okayed), melatonin or a melatonin/theanine combo might help with sleep quality.

Using blue light blockers on your phone/electronics, keeping your sleeping space cool and very dark, using meditation before sleeping, etc. can all help improve sleep quality. Getting a good sleep/bedtime routine really helps some folks, as does trying to wake and sleep at the same time each day, even off time (weekends or days off work, etc.)...

Also, making sure to get bright light within 30 minutes of waking, and again at lunchtime, really helps to set up your proper natural circadian rhythms to taper to sleep naturally. Try going to sleep as soon as you get tired (that's your natural rhythm telling you it's ready for sleep), because if you don't, you'll get another boost of cortisol, and catch that "second wind" and find it hard to wind down. (Cortisol naturally spikes and tapers - so spikes at waking, tapers around lunch - if no nap, get light, and you'll get another natural boost, which will taper around bedtime, which is when we should sleep, not try to stay up to do more, etc....)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I should mention that the same things some people need to avoid actually help certain folks to settle in to sleep better. So it's all about experimenting and adjusting to find what works for you... Remember to give any changes 4 weeks to see true independent results...

@debodom1962
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Your body can only uptake melatonin with adequate magnesium, so if you go that route you are best off adding both.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    When I was much younger, I used to dream in musical comedy format, with all us dream characters breaking into song and dance numbers as the plot unfolded.

I miss those dreams, especially the ones where I was the lovely leading lady soprano.

Wow!

I'll have a bowl of whatever she's having......
  • RalfLott
    Options
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Dear Mr. Lott:
    Our client, Mandycat223, wishes us to advise you that her photograph is not be used without express written consent.

Yours truly,
    Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered, Attorneys at Law.

My client, Mr. Lott, accordingly requests your express written consent. I am informed that he adores your client and that his health and well-being, in particular his ability to resist twinkies and orange juice, depend on his ability to partake of her likeness multiple times hourly.

Thank you in advance for your client's anticipated exhibitionistic generosity.

Benjamin Dover, Esq.

PS How did you score such a cool client?

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm currently having a weird dream about @RalfLott and @mandycat223 communicating as lawyers with some decidedly off-beat client as a subject matter.
    I think I ate too much Gorgonzola affumicata last night.....
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Your body can only uptake melatonin with adequate magnesium, so if you go that route you are best off adding both.

Oh my word....maybe THIS is why I'm sleeping so soundly the past few days!!!! I cut out the mag when I was eating carbs, but took it back up this last week!

Thank you!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm currently having a weird dream about @RalfLott and @mandycat223 communicating as lawyers with some decidedly off-beat client as a subject matter.

Whoa, what a nightmare! :D:D
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2017
    Options

Close.....

In reality, we were bawling at full throttle about one another's perfidy.

(Start around 7:23 to see us at our best...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMmFrpgXuCA&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=7m23s
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2017
    Options

Whoa, what a nightmare! :D:D

Au contraire - a dream come true! (see previous post)