Too much fat?

Options
Phanny24
Phanny24 Posts: 23 Member
Today is day 5 for me on keto. The weekend has been the hardest but I've made it through without cheating! I'm still feeling the faint feeling and am trying to increase my sodium intake. When looking at my nutrition chart on mfp I see my diet consists of 55-63% fat..is this too much fat?

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance and consistently hit 70-80%fat. The key is to keep the carbs low and end get enough good quality protein then just eat enough fat for satiety.

Feeling faint is probably due to low electrolytes like sodium. Check out the launch pad for this group on that topic.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right for body fat loss. At least according to Phinney
    b6v85xci0kn6.jpg
  • Phanny24
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thanks for the info! It's hard to know if you're doing things right in the beginning I'm sure I'll get the hang of it in a few weeks
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, promise.
    Three cardinal rules:
    1: keep the carbs down
    2: drink some salty broth
    3: eat fat till you feel satisfied but if you aren't hungry done force feed yourself. If your body wants to eat from your internal "pantry", let it!
  • Phanny24
    Options
    @CRZYFTM thank you. I feel like I'm eating all day trying to get enough calories in but I can't seem to reach my goal I'm hungry so I keep eating as much as I can until I'm satisfied. What broth would you recommend? I've found a few suggestions on the hoard like the ketorade and diluting a bullion cube in some water. Broth sounds a bit easier as I won't have to prepare anything.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You want to keep fat low enough to use your own body fat rather than dietary fat.

Here is a bit more technical explanation of how that works: http://eatingacademy.com/weight-loss/how-to-make-a-fat-cell-less-not-thin-the-lessons-of-fat-flux

*In short, if your goal is to lose body fat - then in addition to eating low carb, you should also decrease fat intake to use body fat rather than dietary fat. If you eat too much fat, you don't lose it from your body.
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question and there was a whole thread on it this this week and no one suggested what @midwesterner85 suggested. So what I'm finding in keto and low carb is everyone has their own school of thought just like in Paleo and any other lifestyle diet. You have to play around and adjust and readjust to find what works for you. The first 10 days of keto I dropped 5 lbs quick, but day 11-14 my weight is bouncing back up and down. So I'm going to decrease my fat by 5 grams and see what happens. Good luck OP.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. I did 60-65% fat for most of the past year and a half. Right now I'm toying with lowering that just a bit b/c while keto/LCHF was great for my digestive system initially, lately I've been struggling with reflux and fat seems to be exacerbating it. (But I'm experimenting to figure out if it's just certain fats.)
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    @CRZYFTM thank you. I feel like I'm eating all day trying to get enough calories in but I can't seem to reach my goal I'm hungry so I keep eating as much as I can until I'm satisfied. What broth would you recommend? I've found a few suggestions on the hoard like the ketorade and diluting a bullion cube in some water. Broth sounds a bit easier as I won't have to prepare anything.

True ketos and organic-lovers would probably scoff at this but I just make chicken broth from knorr powder or cubes. Yes I know, the MSG! "Oh the MSG!!! How could you?" I have made chicken stock in the past and prefer that, but the powder stuff is much quicker and I can take it dry in a baggy for a quick fix when/if I get dizzy. All I need is some water and a cup. To each their own.
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    To each their own.

^^^^yes this....some are purists, some do convenience, and some fall in between. You have to find what works for you. I take all the tips I can, some I utilize, some I store for a rainy day body shakeup.
  • Phanny24
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone! I've been doing salt shots haha I feel much better today! I was pretty down yesterday this has been a hard transition for me as I'm sure it is for most. I'm used to rice and beans and fried foods. I had a family gathering yesterday and had to wait to use the oven to make my cauliflower pizza. It was a brutal wait and I wanted to just eat what was available but I waited and I'm so happy I did the pizza was amazing!

Any suggestions for quick snacks or to go meals to have ready for the weekend when there's just no time to cook? I've been carrying around almonds, quest bars and fruit also made a wrap with Turkey, cheese and used a flatout light flatbread. Any new ideas would be helpful!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone! I've been doing salt shots haha I feel much better today! I was pretty down yesterday this has been a hard transition for me as I'm sure it is for most. I'm used to rice and beans and fried foods. I had a family gathering yesterday and had to wait to use the oven to make my cauliflower pizza. It was a brutal wait and I wanted to just eat what was available but I waited and I'm so happy I did the pizza was amazing!

Any suggestions for quick snacks or to go meals to have ready for the weekend when there's just no time to cook? I've been carrying around almonds, quest bars and fruit also made a wrap with Turkey, cheese and used a flatout light flatbread. Any new ideas would be helpful!

Super fast pizza, skip the crust.
    Put the cheese and toppings directly on parchment paper and in oven til it crisps a bit.
    Let it cool and pull apart to eat.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    To each their own.

^^^^yes this....some are purists, some do convenience, and some fall in between. You have to find what works for you. I take all the tips I can, some I utilize, some I store for a rainy day body shakeup.

I'm definitely an in between.. I HATE man made poisons and try to avoid them.. try.. But then there is convenience. I'm more likely to protect my kids from the poison than myself. If it weren't for them, I'd be lax in my efforts.