LCHF "real" foods diet - help starting

Options
13»

Replies

• LCHF123
    LCHF123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Without going back to look at my diary or reviewing the specifics of your plan (see what fits in the framework/protocol), I like fiber in my diet.

A few years back I could get up to 50 grams of fiber while still eating low carb with LEGUMES
    being the 1st to come to mind. I don't recall if legumes are on your "real food" plan. I consider them real food though many people/diets don't.

flaxseed meal (I use it in Greek Yogurt and mashed avocados)
    Eden Black Soybeans (if they are available to you in the UK) are excellent for high fiber
    Most above ground vegetables are high fiber compared to below ground vegetables
    Brussels Sprouts
    Green Leafy Veg: spinach, Swiss Chard are my favorites.
    Raspberries have excellent fiber with low calories (Oops. No calorie counting) and lower carbs.
    Avocados- GREAT for fiber
    Coconut
    Nuts and seeds
    Artichokes
    Peas
    Pears and figs are high fiber, real food and may fit into your 130 max carb amount.

I'll scan back through my food diary and see what may stand out as high fiber.

Just bought a case of Eden black soybeans from amazon. It came out to $3.20 a can. Not too bad since my whole foods has been out of them for a while now.

I have never even heard of black soybeans. I'll have to check them out! I'd happily put beans in every meal - I just have to get a bit sneaky so my other half doesn't think I'm trying to turn him into a vegetarian!
  • LCHF123
    LCHF123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I must have missed this thread with my travels last month. Thanks for bumping this up.
    Replying again, because I had more time for a thorough read. THANK YOU!!

You're very welcome! As I said in my original post, having the opportunity of enrolling on this study was a good incentive for me to try a way of eating that I've been interested in for a whole but never actually got round to trying!! Also, I don't know if you've had a chance but the link I posted to the entire document is well worth a read (if you're a facts nerd like me who likes to know exactly WHY I should do something a certain way!). Whether the UK government or NHS take any notice of it and the organisation who wrote it is another matter entirely :smiley:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LCHF123 wrote: »
    Without going back to look at my diary or reviewing the specifics of your plan (see what fits in the framework/protocol), I like fiber in my diet.

A few years back I could get up to 50 grams of fiber while still eating low carb with LEGUMES
    being the 1st to come to mind. I don't recall if legumes are on your "real food" plan. I consider them real food though many people/diets don't.

Eden Black Soybeans (if they are available to you in the UK) are excellent for high fiber
    Brussels Sprouts
    Raspberries have excellent fiber with low calories (Oops. No calorie counting) and lower carbs.
    Coconut
    Nuts and seeds
    Artichokes
    Peas
    Pears and figs are high fiber, real food and may fit into your 130 max carb amount.

Just bought a case of Eden black soybeans from amazon. It came out to $3.20 a can. Not too bad since my whole foods has been out of them for a while now.

I have never even heard of black soybeans. I'll have to check them out! I'd happily put beans in every meal - I just have to get a bit sneaky so my other half doesn't think I'm trying to turn him into a vegetarian!
    Check out these numbers:

eku40z6gz9t9.jpg

delicious hot in any bean recipe, and cold on salads.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Brussels Sprouts
    Coconut
    Nuts and seeds
    Artichokes
    Peas

Check out these numbers:

eku40z6gz9t9.jpg

You can also order them directly from Edenfoods.com, which runs pretty good specials from time to time. (They offer dry and canned, organic and commercial.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited August 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Brussels Sprouts
    Coconut
    Nuts and seeds
    Artichokes
    Peas

Check out these numbers:

eku40z6gz9t9.jpg

You can also order them directly from Edenfoods.com, which runs pretty good specials from time to time. (They offer dry and canned, organic and commercial.)

Thanks!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @LCHF123, checkout cannellini beans that you may have locally. Not as good as the black soybeans in regards to carbs/fiber but they would meet the 25% criterion.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I must have missed this thread with my travels last month. Thanks for bumping this up.
    Replying again, because I had more time for a thorough read. THANK YOU!!

You're very welcome! As I said in my original post, having the opportunity of enrolling on this study was a good incentive for me to try a way of eating that I've been interested in for a whole but never actually got round to trying!! Also, I don't know if you've had a chance but the link I posted to the entire document is well worth a read (if you're a facts nerd like me who likes to know exactly WHY I should do something a certain way!). Whether the UK government or NHS take any notice of it and the organisation who wrote it is another matter entirely :smiley:

Yes, yes, I read the entire document. And downloaded it to read it again later. I've been doing "low CRAP and Slow carb" for years, and love the premise of the document!