Can you do EM2WL without weight training?

Options
combsshan
combsshan Posts: 47 Member
Hi, I have fibromyalgia and weight training has always been something that will throw me into a flair. I do some very light weight lifting now, but it took me almost six months to build up to a 4lb weight without excruciating pain. I basically do 15 reps of a bench press on the floor and 15 reps of tricep kickbacks, some sit-ups (45 reps) and reverse curls (15 reps) 2 days a week. Anytime I do a bicep curl, even with 1lb weights, it causes me so much pain the next day I can hardly move. My main forms of exercise are riding a stationary bike (because I also have plantar faciitis) and yoga. My job is not completely sedentary, I'm on my feet a lot waiting on customers.

There is so much emphasis on the weight training here, just wondering if it can be done without it. I know that my BR is 1406 and my TDEE is 1934. I've been trying to eat at about 1600 calories for several weeks now and have lost about 3 pounds. When I first started to try and lose weight I tried to go down to 1400 a day and was STARVING. Knew that wasn't going to work, so I decided to add 200 calories and then when my body got used to that I'd cut back down to 1400. From reading the info on this site I realize I should go down to 1400 until I lose more weight and then I should refigure my BMR and TDEE.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had success with EM2LM without the heavy weight training.

Thanks,
Shannon

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Resisting training is the key to retaining muscle mass along with small deficit and enough protein.

With those 3 legs - some can be made better while one isn't and still have good results.

And with body fighting disease stress - small deficit really desired.

So just hit protein goals.

And see what resistance training you can do - doesn't have to be lifting. That is merely key for someone that has a lifetime of yo-yo dieting melting their muscle mass away each time slowly but surely.

I would suggest don't waste time and energy and pain on simple things like biceps and triceps, when any compound move will engage them already, like rowing or bench or overhead press using stretch bands, and include bigger muscles. Even squats with bands. 3 sets x 10 better than 15 reps only. Perhaps the 2 min rest will help.

And no - you should not go down to 1400. Especially since you saw proof 1600 likely unstressed body and lost some water weight, perhaps some fat too.

With stressed body with disease - 10% deficit, 200 max - is all you really want.

You need to keep moving it up to potential TDEE first though.
  • combsshan
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I've been working on the protein goals for several years and have that down pretty well. I climb about 4 flights of stairs everyday. That with the biking has kept my legs pretty toned, will try resistance band for my upper body.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative to YOU.. what is heavy for me, might be too light for someone else.. or vice versa.. so heavy to YOU is what matters. Weight lifting has many benefits alongside fat loss, body comp and higher metabolism.
    That said, take things slowly when it comes to lifting weights. There are many in here with all kinds of health issues that restrict how much they can lift, but they don't let it stop them. You do what you are able to. But also keep pushing yourself to do more as well. It has many benefits to help take care of your overall health, and can lessen your overall pain. A quick google search and I found this study about women who did training and those who didnt.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0061580/

I agree with the above.. work on targeting the bigger muscles over the smaller ones. You will aid more in the long run from working those than the smaller ones.
    Take things slowly.. take your weights up slowly and keep pushing.. slowly:)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    This video has some great info for your question too
    https://youtu.be/AxBYO1Mvg70
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • combsshan
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do think I'm going to focus on some lower body resistance training since that doesn't seem to bother me like upper body does. Going to continue on with the upper body I'm doing and just gradually add more weight. One of the things I've read about fibromyalgia is that often times it is the repetitive movements that cause pain. So that if you are going to lift weight to do more weight and fewer reps. May try that and see what happens.