is it normal to gain weight in the first three days of a ketogenic diet? 1.5lbs

Options
hi nice to meet you all have newly joined and started this new way of eating.

Replies

• MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    That wasn't my experience, but I'm learning that there is no normal and there are many pieces of information that would need to be shared before anyone could rightly answer that one.....
    Perhaps you could tell us a little bit more detail about your 3 days?
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My bff gained five pounds her first week and quit the diet. I feel that had she kept up with it, and backed off the chicken broth a little (she was drinking 4-6 10 oz glasses a day which I think was over-kill), she would have started seeing positive results. But she gave up.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a unique experience when starting out and yours is one we've heard before. Stick with the program and do some extra exercise if you just can't wait for some scale movement :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    We could be of more help if your diary were open.
    However, since it would take over 5000 calories beyond what your body used in those 3 days, it's unlikely fat gain.
    Most likely food in your gut. Hang in there.
    But I would expect some water weight to be showing up soon, depending on how low carb you are.
    Again, can't really offer any help without knowing what, how much and how often you're eating. Additionally, how much you have to lose in the first place. As well as any medical conditions.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    In 2014 my weight after getting up and urinating varied by up to 3 pounds from one day to the next. Today since I am 2/3 of the man I was then the range is now 2 pounds. That said the typical day-to-day variation is normally about 0.5 pounds. Scale weight is notoriously "noisy." The only way to know what is going on is to track trends.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had weight gain when I went carnivore. I gained close to 10 lbs but I felt smaller so I tried not to sweat it. Within a month that weight was gone plus a few pounds.

As long as you are in a caloric deficit I would try not to worry about it... I know that is easier said than done. ;)

Welcome to the group. :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    A 1.5lb swing in 3 days literally means nothing
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have always weighed daily, so have just gotten used to the way my weight fluctuates....I've actually been wondering what's going on the last 3 days because I have weighed EXACTLY the same each day and that is unusual for me....LOL
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was looking for a thread to post this new video from Dr. Eric Westman. It is not his best but it is new so something folks may not have seen. Only 26 minutes. Not scientific. Practical. He mentions in it, some of the pitfalls he has seen. The basis is one day of office visits of the 4000+ patients he has seen with over 28,000 office visits during the last 10 years.

it is important to listen to what he says as some of the "bullet statements" come up because a few of the bullet statements are not exactly as they might seem-like the one about eating bananas. He's not saying to eat banana's. He's saying one of his patients was advised to eat bananas (by another doc for some medical/nutritional need). Bananas are not the best choice for a keto diet and there are other choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRVYVPb2HV0