How to get in 100 grams of flax seed daily? Easy Recipe? any Processed foods?

Adi4Fitness
Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
100 grams of flax seed is 26 grams of fiber , and its low carb..,
avocado is 12 grams
daily goal is done at 28 grams of fiber.
I found this one
http://maria.recipes/flaxRoti

Ideally id like to get 38 grams of fibre with low carb.

Also from this resource https://dietingwell.com/high-fiber-low-carb-foods/
1 Chia Seeds

1 tablespoon of chia seeds has approximately 5.2 grams of dietary fiber and 6 grams of carbohydrates.

2. Flax Seeds

1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds has approximately 2.8 grams of dietary fiber and 3 grams of carbohydrates.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2017
    Eden Black Soybeans. 1/2 cup=8 carbs, 7 fiber, 120 calories. Lots of nutrients and tasty. Great for hummus.

Look for any hummus recipe on line. It usually has chick peas for the beans. Use the black soybeans instead. I didn't have a recipe but used beans, garlic, salt and pepper, lemon juice and sesame oil. Most hummus uses tahini but I don't keep that around so just used sesame oil for the flavor versus olive oil. Mix it all together in a food processor. I use a Magic Bullet since I was making a small quantity.

That flax roti looks interesting. I have a tortilla press that should work well.

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I make flat bread with flax, or tortillas. http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-flax-flat-bread-427534
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Just wondering why you might need to add all that fibre? My guts work just as well with or without fibre. No point in me taking more just to have big poop lol. Admittedly everyone's guts are different. Some of us do better with fibre, some have better gut health without..
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Not everyone works well with fibre - I no longer eat any fibre being that I am now ZC and when I attempted to add in more veggies, my stomach doesn't like them at all and works better without - I have lost all stomach distress when I eat ZC - everyone is different and it's all about finding what works right for you
  • canadjineh
    The recommended grams of fibre are generally given for those that eat the SAD or at least a higher carb WOE. No difference in cholesterol or BP with or without fibre for me. Perhaps BG, haven't checked that out yet though. Still wondering why the OP feels that amount of fibre is ideal for them? Just curiosity, plus if they haven't any personal basis for that number, maybe there would be less stress if they didn't feel they had to focus on that number. Less stress is also good for BP and BG. ;)o:)
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    There are quite a few muffin recipes with good amounts of flax seed. I also blend frozen strawberries with water, yogurt, flax seed, and your sweetener of choice if necessary.
  • kpk54
    Thanks for posting that recipe @camtosh.

I'm not one to make specific foods for my WoE or keep specialty products on hand so have all the ingredients for the one you posted. I went to sleep last night wondering what I could use for psyllium husks in the other recipe.

Beef taco SALADS have always worked in place of beef tacos. Not so true for fish or shrimp tacos, for me. I know what I'll be trying for dinner tonight. Shrimp flaxseed meal tacos. I'll have the griddle out anyway to make corn tortillas for my husband.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    The recommended grams of fibre are generally given for those that eat the SAD or at least a higher carb WOE. No difference in cholesterol or BP with or without fibre for me. Perhaps BG, haven't checked that out yet though. Still wondering why the OP feels that amount of fibre is ideal for them? Just curiosity, plus if they haven't any personal basis for that number, maybe there would be less stress if they didn't feel they had to focus on that number. Less stress is also good for BP and BG. ;)o:)

If i am eating low carb for health reasons i figured i might as well try to get in more fibre for health. I assumed the recommendation for fibre was regardless of SAD.

My diet goals after reaching goal bodyfat ( hopefully)+weight is still more or less stick to low carb or low GI i.e basically no grains or processed carbs. Id like to eat less protein and focus on other foods to help me be healthy. Fibre comes top of my list.

Hence i was looking at incorporating ways to get in more fibre and still stay relatively low carb .. Sure i can go for black beans or lot of beans but id like to limit my carbs to less than 100 grams when in maintenance for most days.

My calculations for now are
    22 fibre( 4+12carbs ) from avocado and chia ( 1 avocado + 28 grams of chia)
    16 fibre ( 63 carbs ) from beans
    38 - grams

about 80 grams of carbs ..
    if i can get around 34 grams of fibre under 60 grams of carbs additionally . Id be able to stay under 100 grams of carbs with little changes to my current WOE.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    There was awhile where I was trying to figure out digestive issues and I made a chia seed pudding daily.

https://lowcarbyum.com/simple-chia-seed-vanilla-pudding/

There is one example. You can google a bunch of others. I made it with almond milk and some kind of artificial sweetener, I'm not even sure what, maybe erythritol since i'm really picky about my sweeteners?

I did eventually find that fiber had nothing to do with my issues one way or another and I no longer worry about my fiber intake at all. But when I did, this was the easiest way for me to get fiber.
  • canadjineh
    Hemp seeds have an amazing amount of protein, healthy fats and fibre. I like a couple tblsp in my salads for rich flavour once in a while.
  • melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hemp seeds have an amazing amount of protein, healthy fats and fibre. I like a couple tblsp in my salads for rich flavour once in a while.

I just discovered hemp seeds! Lol

I like to get in a lot of fiber. It just makes me feel better in general. I eat chia seeds and flax seeds. Broccoli and salads help too. Flat out wraps have 10 grams of fiber...but I think 9 net carbs? If you have enough space for carbs. And don't forget avacado, it's an amazing fruit.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Just thinking about all that fiber makes my stomach hurt - lol! Ever since going carnivore, my stomach has been much happier. Fiber is not my friend. :D
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    The fiber as well as every single other recommendation is based on SAD diet.
    If you feel best eating lots of fiber then by kayle means do that for sure, but don't assume its healthiest because of "recommendations". Let's face it, they also recommend eating lots of processed carbs and manufactured fats...
    there is evidence that fiber is actually harmful to the gut and many of us have found that to be true by finally healing gut issues by eliminating or significantly limiting fiber.
    I say listen to your body. If you have any gut issues at all, I'd consider reducing fiber, not increasing.
    As far as having a healthy cholesterol (I won't say lower, because I don't believe that equals healthiest), blood sugar and such, low carb will take care of that. Using fiber as a means to feel full might work but I'd prefer to fill up on meat and benefit from its nutrients.
    Just keep an open mind is I'm saying. We all know too well that we shouldn't put too much faith in "recommendations".
  • kpk54
    edited August 2017
    I hope this doesn't turn into another "battle" between carnivores who choose to have as little fiber as possible in their diet and those who favor fiber in their diet. I remember a thread last May (meativore May) where "fiber folks" were told to stay out of the meativore thread. Just sayin'.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't turn into another "battle" between carnivores who choose to have as little fiber as possible in their diet and those who favor fiber in their diet. I remember a thread last May (meativore May) where "fiber folks" were told to stay out of the meativore thread. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I still remember that... :confounded:

Just like anything else related to the complex human machine, fiber needs are a YMMV.
    Some people thrive on different levels of fiber intake. Or none at all.
    I'm a mid-road person. A lot gives me issues. Some is good. Little is good as well. So I have a good range. Other people do better with a lot. Some can't tolerate much, if any.
    Just like with blanket dietary recommendations, fiber "requirements" are useless. YMMV.

So the OP wants recipes to add flax seed.
    We've let him know that more fiber isn't necessary for everyone.
    So let's respond further with what he asked for.
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    I've been thinking about making "crackers" with flax and chia. Haven't looked up or tried any recipe yet though.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »

As a carnivore, I know this WOE is not for everyone, but it works for me. I agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ that you should listen to your body. If it tells you it needs fiber, then eat fiber. If not, come to the dark side. We have bacon, too!