Dang restaurant.....

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
One of my go to restaurant choices is wings.... low carb and delicious. I'll get a side salad without croutons and with ranch dressing along with my wings. It's normally a safe bet for me. However, tonight I was practically poisoned. I was watching the football game and not really paying attention. 1.5 wings in, I noticed the texture and flavor was different than normal. I look closer and realize my garlic parm wings are BREADED!!!! Who breads wing?!?!?! Seriously. WTF! So I flag down the manager and he explains that you have to order "naked" bone-in wings then add sauce. I feel wronged! Never would I have guessed that bone in wings would be automatically breaded.... I've been to this restaurant two other times and never had them come out like that. At least they fixed my order and gave me a new basket of wings. However, I will likely never go back there.... for the simple fact that people who bread bone-in wings must have something twisted in their brain! That's like serving streak ultra-well done... GET AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN!!! YOU DON'T BELONG THERE!!!

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of breading bone-in wings. Sacrilege! Bread the boneless ones, but leave the REAL wings alone!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're having a rough weekend. 1st your mother-in-law and now the restaurant.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have heard of that before. The couple places I get wings at don't do it though. I have asked just in case.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    I have heard of that before. The couple places I get wings at don't do it though. I have asked just in case.

I never knew it was a thing!! I'll be extra careful from now on!!!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Wow! You're having a rough weekend. 1st your mother-in-law and now the restaurant.

Truth! But hey, tomorrow is a new day and 1 day isn't going to break my health/diet/progress! Back on track tomorrow
  • kpk54
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

I never knew it was a thing!! I'll be extra careful from now on!!!

It is a thing. LOL. I watch too much of The Food Network, The Cooking Channel and America's Test Kitchen. There was an episode a few years ago on Throw down with Bobby Flay where his throw down was with the guy who owns the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY, supposedly the original place Buffalo Wings were served. Most of the show was them chattering back and forth about whether any wing (Buffalo Wings in particular) should ever be anything but nekked. Bobby dredged his in flour. The Anchor Bar did not. Anchor Bar won.

Heck, even The Colonel breads his wings. :)
  • hoping32
    hoping32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    That's funny! I always thought the wings were breaded before they were rolled in the hot sauce and baked. But then again I've never eaten wings. They are a waste of time for the amount of meat you get. Just dump hot sauce and blue cheese dressing on any other piece of chicken. ;)

I totally agree! I don't eat the things!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    That's funny! I always thought the wings were breaded before they were rolled in the hot sauce and baked. But then again I've never eaten wings. They are a waste of time for the amount of meat you get. Just dump hot sauce and blue cheese dressing on any other piece of chicken. ;)

Baked?!?! BAKED?!?! You are band from cooking!!! Just step away from the kitchen now!!!
  • kpk54
    edited August 2017
    Options

Baked?!?! BAKED?!?! You are band from cooking!!! Just step away from the kitchen now!!!

Well, I personally wouldn't worry about what I'm about to type but - there are a whole lot of readers who, while they might eat deep fried wings, THEIR reaction would be an "OMG what sort of OIL were they fried in and what else was fried in that oil".

Me personally? I can count on 1 hand the number of times I eat in a restaurant each year. I've watched too many episodes of Restaurant Stakeout (with their hidden cameras) and Restaurant Impossible. Eek! I'm never impressed with "hygiene/sanitation ratings" posted at the front of the restaurant. It is for the 1 day the 1 inspector happened to visit. I wonder if a cook might wipe their brow (or drippy nose) with the same towel they wipe splatters on a plate before serving. Or if there are any rebellious servers or cooks who may not wash their hands after using the restroom...
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Me personally? I can count on 1 hand the number of times I eat in a restaurant each year. I've watched too many episodes of Restaurant Stakeout (with their hidden cameras) and Restaurant Impossible. Eek! I'm never impressed with "hygiene/sanitation ratings" posted at the front of the restaurant.

A family member, during a very low point in his life, was forced to earn his living as a restaurant inspector for the county health department. His tip: eat at Mom and Pop restaurants where the cook and the cooktop are visible to the patrons. There are still unseen risks but at least you've minimized the perils you can experience at Chez La Maison de la Casa, $45 a head minimum.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much... I've never seen breaded wings. TBH, I've never seen boneless wings either.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    funny, here in my country are breaded parts of chicken usual. even breaded and boneless you can buy in market...

i never liked breaded anyway, too dry for my taste
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options

The best ones are deep fried, then put in sauce and baked for a bit to set the sauce.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I made buffalo wings in my air fryer. The sauce was Frank's hot sauce and butter. They turned out so crispy and browned yumminess. My husband and 2 of my kids thought it was amazing. My husband loves wings and he thought they were as good or better than in the restaurant. This is not a plug for the air fryer, just thought it fit since I tried them for the first time last weekend. Yes, the sauce was added before and after cooking...
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    You had me at wings..... but breading them? Sacrilege! Leave my wings along, just give them to me smothered in hot sauce. With some extra dipping sauce, just in case....
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hooters (I've only been to the one that used to be in my town) their wings come in traditional (lightly breaded, bone-in), naked, or boneless (heavier breading)
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Wings should ALWAYS be served "naked" and "bone-in" and deep fried, unless otherwise requested! It's a crime otherwise!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Well there ya go! I've only eaten ribs once in my life (just to be polite at someone's house) and wings never, and @kirkor the reason for both is that nibbling around nerves, cartilage, bones, and gristle makes me puke. Google image: boneless chicken ranch - far side cartoon. My dream meal, lol. The only deep fried anything I like is really good fish & chips in a light beer batter, but I haven't eaten them since I found out I have to be gluten free.