Is it okay to subtrate fiber for net carb totals?

Options
mhm2201
mhm2201 Posts: 2 Member
Just starting out...weight loss, not in Ketosis yet.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. Most people say it's totally fine. Some people only subtract fiber from vegetables but not added fiber like in quest bars.
    It's perfectly fine to do whatever you're most comfortable with as long as you're progressing toward your goals.
    I had always counted total because it was just simpler. I did it while allowing a higher range of carbs at that time. So instead of having a hard number of say 20g total. I would allow up to 35.
    I just didn't want to be bothered with counting net carbs
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    in 2004 there was an article in the Wall Street Journal - By Sarah Ellison Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    Updated Oct. 6, 2004 12:01 a.m. ET

The company that invented "net carbs," Atkins Nutritionals Inc., says it will drop the widely used term from its food labels, calling it "imprecise."

Many companies that sell "lower" carb food still like to use the term NET carbs so they can sell their products to the public. "Only 3 Net Carbs" but they you look at the label and it has like 25 actual carbs and then a bunch of sugar alcohols. For years I would subtract only fiber from veggies, but not sugar alcohols. These days I just go with total. as @Sunny_Bunny_ said, it's just easier.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    in 2004 there was an article in the Wall Street Journal - By Sarah Ellison Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    Updated Oct. 6, 2004 12:01 a.m. ET

The company that invented "net carbs," Atkins Nutritionals Inc., says it will drop the widely used term from its food labels, calling it "imprecise."

Many companies that sell "lower" carb food still like to use the term NET carbs so they can sell their products to the public. "Only 3 Net Carbs" but they you look at the label and it has like 25 actual carbs and then a bunch of sugar alcohols. For years I would subtract only fiber from veggies, but not sugar alcohols. These days I just go with total. as @Sunny_Bunny_ said, it's just easier.

It's definitely used deceptively by low carb product companies. The actual inventor of the idea is Michael Eades. In his book Protein Power he suggested counting net by subtracting fiber from green vegetables because he said his patients took the idea of low carbs being a good thing as meaning that even lower was better and they began eating limited vegetables as a result. He believes green vegetables are important and introduced the net carb counting as way of basically a work around so they could claim to be eating a lower carb amount. It was totally a mental thing. It basically made them feel better to say they eat 20g instead of saying 30...