Pasta with alternative flour?

Options
jrgriffin82
jrgriffin82 Posts: 21 Member
Has anyone tried making their own pasta with almond flour or coconut flour? I'm a pasta lover looking for a Keto substitute. I tried tofu shiritaki noodles today and I took 2 bites and tossed them. I may try another brand because I'm not sure if I got a bad brand or an old bag because everyone says they smell really bad and mine barely smelled at all. They were very tough and chewy. I'd be interested in trying to make my own pasta if it's possible.

Replies

• cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Zucchini strips for most pasta dishes, cauliflower for something like baked macaroni or casserole. Pasta is so high gluten idk if it can be made without flour, a good substitute I mean. U could try coconut flour with xanthum gum but it may need ALOT of gum.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I agree with cgcrutch. I love zoodles (spiralized zucchini). They are great with butter or olive and garlic sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. They are also yummy with a low carb tomato sauce. Cauliflower as a sub for the macaroni in mac and cheese is delicious too!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The "I Breathe I'm Hungry" website has a recipe for egg based pasta, but there are some steps involved. I've heard good things about it, but I've not made it myself... It requires drying before cooking, etc.

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-fettuccini-alfredo-low-carb.html

I like spaghetti squash, too, and zucchini noodles...pretty much any firm veggie like that can be spiral sliced. Even asparagus can be "shaved" using a peeler to make fettuccine type noodles. I've not tried the cauliflower that way specifically, but I can see it working.

If you are higher protein but still allowing SOME veggie carbs, there are red lentil, chickpea, and black bean pastas that are higher carb than straight veggies, but lower than traditional noodles...

I find though, that if I make a strong enough meat and sauce combo, I don't always miss noodles.

There are some good directions for making the shirataki pasta taste better, but I still didn't like it AT ALL personally, and I didn't even try the TOFU kind - just the shirataki stuff... Maybe dehydrated mushrooms in strips would work, too, as a pasta swap...

The "iron dough" recipe has a noodle variation to it, but I've not tried that either.

For me, personally, @jrgriffin82 - what I do for noodles depends SOLELY on what sauce I'm using. I like the spaghetti squash with alfredo-type sauces - the very light sweetness highlights that sharpt taste well. The zoodles with tomato-type sauces... Cauliflower seems like it would pair best with cheddar type sauces...
  • jrgriffin82
    Options
    Thanks y'all
  • jrgriffin82
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I tried zoodles one day last week and didn't care for them but I think I didn't cook them enough. They were too crunchy to make myself think it was a pasta substitute. But I tried it again today and cooked them a bit longer in some browned butter and put on some low carb tomato basil sauce with ground beef. Some bites were still a little crunchy but not as bad and it was pretty good.
  • cgcrutch
    Options
    Maybe cutting or shaving them thinner will make them less crunchy and more flexible
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer my zoodles crunchy I barely cook them at all.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you find zucchini noodles to be too "damp," you can actually salt them to release extra water, then just a quick rinse and pat dry. This tends to work better when doing them flat, like lasagna noodles, but also works for a batch of spiralized noodles. I like to saute them, just to the point they release their liquid, then "Italian style" finish cooking in the sauce. Just be aware of that liquid release, or it can really ruin a sauce like Alfredo, etc. :)
  • cgcrutch
    Options
    I bet something like gnocchi could be made with a fathead dough! Or a keto 'bread' dough that holds together well... I'm gonna try it! Sauteed or steamed, not boiled
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have not tried to make pasta yet, but we have great luck with Fathead dough for pizza and a mix of almond flour and psyllium husk for rolls. hotdog/hamburger buns.