Introductions!

Options
BPRKEY
BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
What do you want us to know about yourself??? Please do not feel obligated to post your full name if you are not comfortable doing so.

Replies

• jmek926
    jmek926 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm not technically a 30-something until next month even though I have an old soul. But I have 3 fur babies, 2 hound dogs and 1 special Nougie (cat with a head tilt/slight neuro problem) although he thinks he's a dog. About 2 months ago, I joined a health group my company pays for if you are overweight and at risk for diabetes. Before then, I was so miserable with my job, with my body, with my mind... everything. Since, then I have lost 17 lbs, I'm on a new project at work that I enjoy, and I just feel like I'm finally getting a healthier, happier me. Which has basically been a life long, yoyo-ing goal. The health group I'm in, isn't very active when it comes to supporting each other... the health coach is great, but aside from that, I am lacking support. I'm hoping MFP gives me that!!
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    Hi! You're close enough :-). The one through your job wasn't by chance Omada (it had a different name before and I can't remember what it was). I also did it.
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 38, no kids, no plans to have kids. Love kids, don't want to have my own. I'm married to the best guy ever (married 2 years, together 8 years). I actually REALLY like to be active. I underestimated how hard weight loss is and how easy weight gain is in your 30s. I also assumed it would be easy to find a group of women who have the same struggles. But every single group I have found is moms. I don't have the socially acceptable reason of childbirth as my reason for weight gain. I have unfortunate genetics, "age-appropriate metabolism" and some other more personal issues as my reason. But sometimes it seems like extra weight is only ok if you're a mother. I think that's true of forgetfulness, bad days, etc... as well. I'll talk about this more in different post.
    I was never overweight until I got a bit older. I was a bean-pole kid. Tall, no curves. I could essentially eat what I wanted in my 20s--I thought. After 25 my weight started to slowly climb. At 30 is sped up and became so much harder to lose. I think I do have a somewhat unhealthy relationship with food. That's a fairly recent discovery. Most of my friends have or are having children. My support needs are just different. Not better, not worse, just different. I'm hoping that MFP gives me a forum for support. But I am also hoping that leading a group will help me remain engaged and keep me accountable :-).

BPRKEY wrote: »
    What do you want us to know about yourself??? Please do not feel obligated to post your full name if you are not comfortable doing so.

• Coco_Camm
    Coco_Camm Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I recently turned 35 and just prior to decided I needed to do something about my weight. Im in the no kids, due to fertility issues category. Ours is male factor but it still cant hurt for me to be in the best shape possible :) So yeah, I'd like to have one but I have a very full and fulfilling life without them.

I run an animal rescue group, I'm mom to 3 dogs and a foster dog. To earn extra money I drive for Lyft and meet lots of interesting people. I've been married 8 years to a very supportive guy and I'm very focused on eating well and staying active.

Ive definitely hit a wall lately. Almost 3 months into this journey and Im just starting to get tired of it all. It was so easy to be fat and eat whatever and not move much! So thats me...struggling to keep going but too stubborn to quit.

• BPRKEY
    Options
    You have my dream job. I want ALL THE ANIMALS!!!! Welcome. I hear you. Sometimes it's just easier to not think about it. That's where my unhealthy relationship with food comes in. I know what I need to do. I just need to do it.
    GAH! Imagine a world where broccoli was bad for you ;-).
    Coco_Camm wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, I recently turned 35 and just prior to decided I needed to do something about my weight. Im in the no kids, due to fertility issues category. Ours is male factor but it still cant hurt for me to be in the best shape possible :) So yeah, I'd like to have one but I have a very full and fulfilling life without them.

I run an animal rescue group, I'm mom to 3 dogs and a foster dog. To earn extra money I drive for Lyft and meet lots of interesting people. I've been married 8 years to a very supportive guy and I'm very focused on eating well and staying active.

Ive definitely hit a wall lately. Almost 3 months into this journey and Im just starting to get tired of it all. It was so easy to be fat and eat whatever and not move much! So thats me...struggling to keep going but too stubborn to quit.
    Coco_Camm wrote: »

• SapioEnigmate
    SapioEnigmate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am 30, no kids, and have permanently blocked the pathway that would lead to me being able to have bio kids. I don't hate kids or anything, and technically had a stepkid for a while, but that's always been more of an aunt type relationship. I am solo, enjoy living alone. No pets (although I am dog sitting this week, so I don't hate pets either). I have two significant LDR's. And I'm an accountant.

I just moved from Indiana to Washington, and gained a little weight back during the moving process and the first couple months I was here when I was dealing with a job that was not good for my mental health. New job and getting back on track the last couple weeks. I was always a chunky, but fit, kid/teenager. But got less fit and more fat as the reality of sitting all day hit. Down about 40 lbs from my top weight, looking to lose another 35 or so.
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    Welcome! I feel ya on the job thing. I just made a job change in December for the same reasons. Where in Washington are you? We almost ended up in Seattle, but stayed in SF. How do you like it? My all time favorite musician (and human), is from Maple Valley, WA.
    Hi all! I am 30, no kids, and have permanently blocked the pathway that would lead to me being able to have bio kids. I don't hate kids or anything, and technically had a stepkid for a while, but that's always been more of an aunt type relationship. I am solo, enjoy living alone. No pets (although I am dog sitting this week, so I don't hate pets either). I have two significant LDR's. And I'm an accountant.

I just moved from Indiana to Washington, and gained a little weight back during the moving process and the first couple months I was here when I was dealing with a job that was not good for my mental health. New job and getting back on track the last couple weeks. I was always a chunky, but fit, kid/teenager. But got less fit and more fat as the reality of sitting all day hit. Down about 40 lbs from my top weight, looking to lose another 35 or so.

• SapioEnigmate
    SapioEnigmate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in Vancouver, WA. Was initially looking in Seattle, but found a job in Vancouver first. That one didn't work out, but led to finding a job I love with a company that is very fitness oriented. I am definitely loving it now that I got life stuff back in order. Been starting to go to hiking meetups and such. So much fun.
    Welcome! I feel ya on the job thing. I just made a job change in December for the same reasons. Where in Washington are you? We almost ended up in Seattle, but stayed in SF. How do you like it? My all time favorite musician (and human), is from Maple Valley, WA.

• jmek926
    Options
    Hi! You're close enough :-). The one through your job wasn't by chance Omada (it had a different name before and I can't remember what it was). I also did it.

Yea!! It is Omada! What did you think about it? I am in week 8.

• BPRKEY
    Options
    I did it when it was called Prevent (I had to go look at the scale lol). I liked it until I finished and went to maintenance, then the group was left to it's own devices. The group I was in was super active, but when we transitioned to the larger maintenance group it wasn't that supportive or active. But it did get me fully on board with the online support idea.
    jmek926 wrote: »

Yea!! It is Omada! What did you think about it? I am in week 8.

• jmek926
    Options
    Omg I know what you mean. I was always a bigger but fit-ish in high school and college. And then sitting for a living has just killed my metabolism I guess. I mean I've never been able to eat what I want without the weight creeping up but it's been so much worse in my late 20s. 40lbs is awesome tho!! Definitely motivating me!

• BPRKEY
    Options
    I don't want to kill the mood, but it isn't all the sitting that killed the metabolism (though it certainly doesn't help), it slows as we........get..........o--l--- nope can't finish it. After I turned 30 mine all but stopped. My husband can eat ice cream and I'll gain 2 lbs. Stupid hormones!!

jmek926 wrote: »
    Omg I know what you mean. I was always a bigger but fit-ish in high school and college. And then sitting for a living has just killed my metabolism I guess. I mean I've never been able to eat what I want without the weight creeping up but it's been so much worse in my late 20s. 40lbs is awesome tho!! Definitely motivating me!

• runlikeagirl1985
    runlikeagirl1985 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am 32, no kids, but do want them some day if the universe deems it possible. I am single, but am newly dating someone so we'll see where that goes. I am a very active person but have had trouble with injuries and depression. Now that I have the mental part under control it's time to crack down on the eating part.
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    Welcome!! Yay for new dating! And good for you for pushing forward despite the injuries and depression. I feel ya. I was a wreck after my back injury and surgery. But mostly anxious. I haven't run since, but it's 100% fear. I'm working on that too. :-) Thanks for joining!
    Hello everyone! I am 32, no kids, but do want them some day if the universe deems it possible. I am single, but am newly dating someone so we'll see where that goes. I am a very active person but have had trouble with injuries and depression. Now that I have the mental part under control it's time to crack down on the eating part.

• jmek926
    Options
    Haha! I'm totally with you. I know the aging process hurts it. I also got super lazy when I started working full time, so I claim "sitting" but it was more... sitting when I got home too, next to no activity. Fast forward 6 years or so..... and finally over some injuries, and I'm trying to get back where I can walk a few miles, maybe start running again. We'll see. Baby steps.

I wish my Omada group was active. That's really why I started using MFP again (I may have said that already). I am pretty much the only one that posts in the group on a regular, or even semi regular basis. I've been pretty disappointed with it. I don't have alot of support elsewhere. I mean my husband is, but that's about it.
    I don't want to kill the mood, but it isn't all the sitting that killed the metabolism (though it certainly doesn't help), it slows as we........get..........o--l--- nope can't finish it. After I turned 30 mine all but stopped. My husband can eat ice cream and I'll gain 2 lbs. Stupid hormones!!

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Angela, 40...so not a thirtysomething anymore...but I feel like it, if that counts! I am not sure if it's cool for me to be here or not, but I'm just jumping in and can find my way out if not!

I love the idea of a childfree group that is just women. Over the years I've joined a ton of different groups and it seems like people tend to get militant and angry and bash parents all of the time OR they're aunts who live through their nieces & nephews. Nothing wrong with that but I can't relate. Commiserating & bonding over not being among the sea of moms is wonderful, though. It seems like a delicate balance but by the look of things this is a great group. Nice to meet you all!

As for me...I'm married for the second time, no kids, husband was also childfree by choice and got a vasectomy before we even married. I've known since my early teens that I never wanted to become a mother and ended my first serious relationship (during college) because of that. I take it pretty seriously!

I studied English and public speaking in college but work in HR and accounting for a small manufacturing plant in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. I spend a LOT of time hiking and traveling within the US. Other interests are fashion, Art, music and reading.

Growing up, I was always the biggest girl in class...tallest and heaviest...I was adult sized at 10 (seriously, 5'4" and close to 140 lb). By my teens, others started to catch up and I stopped growing at 5'8" but my weight continued to climb and by the time I graduated from HS I was around 240 lb. Surprisingly, I had a pretty good body image and no major health issues caused by weight. I spent the rest of my adulthood around 260-275 lb before reaching my HW of 307 in 2008 (new stressful job and lots of comfort eating).

That's when I decided to make some changes and started eating a little better and walking a LOT (miles per night). It helped, but I still only got down to 260s before I discovered My Fitness Pal in 2013. I hit my LW of 166 in 2015. Now I'm around 170 lb and maintaining, but need daily logging or I start creeping back up to 180...which isn't the end of the world, but it's not where I want to be, either.
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    Stay stay!!! Thanks for sharing and welcome! I'm an aunt. But mostly what I have found is that none of the factors in mom weight gain or loss apply to me. And I get tired of hearing "wait until you have a kid". :-)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Stay stay!!! Thanks for sharing and welcome! I'm an aunt. But mostly what I have found is that none of the factors in mom weight gain or loss apply to me. And I get tired of hearing "wait until you have a kid". :-)

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I also get tired of having "wait until you have a kid" (even now)! And yes, definitely true about the weight issue being heavily blamed on pregnancy and childrearing. It gets old, listening to that, especially when it does not apply to some of us.
  • BPRKEY
    Options
    And sometimes I feel like that's the default. "Mommy weight" "Mommy brain"...it's almost charming. But for me.. no, I'm 38, my body in general doesn't function like it used to. That's the only reason!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm 38, 39 in December. I'm basically on the fast train to 40. Toot Toot. I'm a Designer for a large midwest electric utility. I basically keep records of all the Transmission Lines in Ohio that the company owns. Sit down job, 8hrs a day. I've been with my BF for 5 years, and in April we adopted a princess of a chi/schnauzer mix, named Daisy. She's only 14lbs, but she's got enough personality for all of us. I'm an only child (luckily I have parents that don't feel like I disappointed them with the no grandkids thing) and my BF has 2 siblings with no kids.

Like BPRKEY, I never had a weight issue until I turned about 32. I'm 5'11 and have been since I was 12. My parents used to ask where I put all the food I ate because I never gained weight. Then the 30's hit and it's been all down hill from there.

In 2011 I decided that enough was enough and before I got to 200lbs, I need to do SOMETHING about the ever raising scale number. I started at 193, and in August of 2012 I was down to 143 (my lowest ever, just to say I lost 50lbs, lol, really was way too thin). Since then, I've been up and down about 10-15lbs (I tend to say I like to hibernate in the winter and eat all the food). I'm back here, because it's the only thing that works, to get to 148 for my up coming Cancun vacation.