Trying to decide between VSG and RNY

This is my first post!! I am Joanna, and I am 37 years old. I've been approved for surgery, but it's my choice which one I have. I'm struggling with that because there are pros and cons to both for me. I don't have bad heartburn, but my surgeon found some acid reflux damage during the scope they did last month. I also have some metaplasia cells in my stomach...it's not cancerous, but they want to evaluate it again in a couple years.

If I have the RNY, that will take out the portion of my stomach they they found the cells in, and make future scopes difficult as they can only see my esophagus and the upper part of my stomach. It's the opposite with the sleeve, they will still be able to do i, but I am worried the acid reflux will get worse with VSG.

I started off at 298, and I am 5'8.5". Now I am at 289.4.

has anyone had experience with metaplasia cells and future scopes etc etc? Which surgery did you pick and why? Do you wish you could switch?

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member

This is my first post!! I am Joanna, and I am 37 years old. I've been approved for surgery, but it's my choice which one I have. I'm struggling with that because there are pros and cons to both for me. I don't have bad heartburn, but my surgeon found some acid reflux damage during the scope they did last month. I also have some metaplasia cells in my stomach...it's not cancerous, but they want to evaluate it again in a couple years.

If I have the RNY, that will take out the portion of my stomach they they found the cells in, and make future scopes difficult as they can only see my esophagus and the upper part of my stomach. It's the opposite with the sleeve, they will still be able to do i, but I am worried the acid reflux will get worse with VSG.

I started off at 298, and I am 5'8.5". Now I am at 289.4.

has anyone had experience with metaplasia cells and future scopes etc etc? Which surgery did you pick and why? Do you wish you could switch?

With your medical issues I would go with your surgical teams advice. As bariatric patients, all we can give you is our personal experiences. I would leave the advice to the professionals.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    My surgeon recommended VSG and that's what I was leaning towards anyway. And it's worked out well for me. I'm sure the surgery team has a preference if you really probe. Weigh the pros and cons of EVERYTHING.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    If you have any signs of acid reflux, I would stay far away from a VSG. If you have it in any form, it's likely to get worse. I would have the very rare day of heartburn before surgery. After VSG and after I went off the PPI my surgeon prescribed for all patients for 3 months, I had acid reflux like I have never felt before. Horrible. Now I'm on PPIs indefinitely. GERD can lead to Barrett's Esophagus and esophageal cancer.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    My surgeon recommended VSG and that's what I was leaning towards anyway. And it's worked out well for me. I'm sure the surgery team has a preference if you really probe. Weigh the pros and cons of EVERYTHING.

This. My surgeon recommended VSG and I am glad because that is what I wanted, but we discussed all options. Much of the reason I wanted VSG was because I felt it was less invasive and wouldn't rearrange the "plumbing" so to speak. I have had no complications of any kind since my surgery almost 4 years ago.

I know some people have had issues with acid reflux post VSG. I had reflux prior to surgery, but it hasn't once been an issue for me post surgery. Everyone responds differently so the best bet is to take the advice of your surgeon and his team.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    I went with the doctor's recommendation of the sleeve. I also visited with my primary care doctor to get his opinion because I wanted another professional medical opinion. I have an occasional bout of heartburn/reflux and it goes away with a few sips of water. I never had an issue with heartburn/reflux prior to surgery. If you go with the sleeve it can be converted to a full bypass in the future if needed. Good luck with your journey.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    I went with the sleeve because I didn't want things re-routed.

However, I think it's easier to cheat with the sleeve. I've stretched my stomach way sooner than I should have. Not a whole lot, but enough to mess with my rate of weight loss.
  • amylourou
    amylourou Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I just started my pre-op diet for bypass surgery and I can't find a way to finish my diary because I'm not getting enough calories. Is there a trick to doing this?
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Sometimes reflux is due to a hiatal hernia, which is repaired at the time of weight loss surgery. In this case, reflex is reduced after VSG.
  • joannambender
    joannambender Posts: 4 Member
    Oh man, I forgot to come back to this...sorry everyone!!

I spoke to my surgeon, and he said if he were me he would chose the sleeve. They can't monitor me with the metaplasia cells if I have a bypass. So I am getting the sleeve. I am crossing my fingers that I do not have any GERD issues, I am pretty nervous about that to be honest. I want the restriction of the Bypass.

He did say that my mild heartburn (its really so mild I would say I get heartburn once a month, IF that) might even improve with the VSG because I wouldn't be eating foods that irritate it, like chocolate and coffee. So I don't know, but I do think it's best I follow his advice.
  • joannambender
    joannambender Posts: 4 Member
    garber6th wrote: »

This. My surgeon recommended VSG and I am glad because that is what I wanted, but we discussed all options. Much of the reason I wanted VSG was because I felt it was less invasive and wouldn't rearrange the "plumbing" so to speak. I have had no complications of any kind since my surgery almost 4 years ago.

I know some people have had issues with acid reflux post VSG. I had reflux prior to surgery, but it hasn't once been an issue for me post surgery. Everyone responds differently so the best bet is to take the advice of your surgeon and his team.

I agree, thank you! I do not plan on reintroducing the acidic foods like coffee, so I am hoping that any heartburn stays away. I too have it very very rarely.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited August 2017
    garber6th wrote: »

I agree, thank you! I do not plan on reintroducing the acidic foods like coffee, so I am hoping that any heartburn stays away. I too have it very very rarely.

Just throwing this out there - I drink coffee every day and it doesn't bother me. Like I mentioned, we all respond differently! Something to keep in mind is that no matter which surgery you get, your tolerance to different foods and drinks can change a lot post surgery. Some people can't tolerate spicy food, some people can't tolerate meat, etc., and some people have no problems with anything. There can be a lot of trial and error involved but you will figure out what works for you.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Sometimes reflux is due to a hiatal hernia, which is repaired at the time of weight loss surgery. In this case, reflex is reduced after VSG.

I had a hiatal hernia repaired during my VSG and still ended up with reflux when I didn't have it before. It's a risk. Some people develop it, some don't.

• Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    My surgeon actually strongly recommended the bypass but I told him I wanted the sleeve and he supported me. I dont regret it.
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    I think it all depends on what is causing your reflux or heartburn in the first place. Personally, VSG had no impact on my heartburn/reflux issues, which I have had for 10+ years but is controlled with omeprazole (Prilosec) daily. I asked my surgeon specifically about the risk of my heartburn/reflux getting worse with VSG and he said it can happen but did not foresee any issues for me. And he was right, I had no change - good or bad. I still take Prilosec daily. The only time I've had issues with heartburn is when I accidentally miss a pill. Or that one time immediately post VSG surgery when they gave me Pepcid instead of Prilosec upon recovery and I ended up with horrible rebound heartburn. But that went away as soon as I got back on the right medication.

But everyone is different. I know some folks whose heartburn got better with VSG and others whose got so bad they needed to another surgery to convert to bypass.
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    I have no heartburn issues whatsoever. I drink coffee every morning on an empty stomach, Dairy, whatever... Every person is different. For me, I have zero heartburn. I am 6 months out