Where do you have your MFP nutrient goals set?

Options
2fatz
2fatz Posts: 9 Member
I set mine at Carb 50%, Fat 25% and Pro 25%. About 1600 total calories. I do lose weight on this but I'm having trouble getting 104 Gm of protein a day, even eating greek yogurt, tuna, steak, etc. Curious where other people have theirs set.

My goal is a balanced diet, can't/won't do Paleo or Atkins.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    30g net carb, 100g protein, fat flexible, as needed to fill in the cracks.

(Low carb has been the only formula that has really worked for me in 15 years. YMMV, of course.)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I mostly ignore my macros, I can't even remember what they're set to right now. I'm set to a 1.5 lb / wk loss which is 1210 calories (plus exercise calories). I aim for 500 calorie meals with 200 calorie snacks, no more than 30 - 45g net carbs at a time (which is the outer limit of what I can eat without spikes), as much protein as I can fit in, and a reasonable amount of fat. In practice I end up eating between 100 - 150 g carbs / day and 1500 - 1600 calories. I find it difficult to get more than about 90g protein on that many calories. I should really be getting more than that, but as you mentioned it's difficult to do while eating real food.

I do take supplemental iron, since I never get anywhere near the recommended daily allowance and I was getting anemic.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I am set at 50%/20% protein and 35% fat which is 150carb, 94protein and 58fat. I am set at 1500 cals and light activity. I do attempt to be lower than 100 on carb and lower in fat due to the diabetes and pancreas issues.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My macros are 0-10% carbs, 20-25% protein and 65-75% fat. I consider it a balanced diet since carbohydrates are a non-essential nutrient. ;) In all honesty, I do enjoy my veggies, nuts and seeds a bit too much. My BG numbers would be better without much of them.
  • 2fatz
    2fatz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am on 2200 calories per day aiming for about a 2 lbs/week weight loss with sedentary activity level and my macros set to 33% for carbs & protein (182 g) and 34% fat (83 g).
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I set mine for Carbs 5%, Protein 30% and Fat 65%. I come under on the carbs and meet or exceed the protein. I typically don't come close on the fat.
  • Hollygoheavily
    Hollygoheavily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Carbs 5%, Protein 30% and Fat 65%
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Carbs 30% (113g), Fat 35% (58g) usually go over on fat though, protein 35% (131) but try to keep under 100, Calories set at 1500, but I eat between 1200 and 1500.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    I'll be making some adjustments again. Calories are to go up to 2500 per day--I need to slow my weight loss rate (from 10 lbs/month to 6 lbs/month) now that I'm more than half way to my goal weight. I'll probably keep my same macros but not sure yet.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Love it when I see peeps using good common sense on weight loss. I too adjust my calories to how much weight I lose per week/month. Barney, I know I said this before and I will say it again. you inspire me.. keep up the great work.
    I'll be making some adjustments again. Calories are to go up to 2500 per day--I need to slow my weight loss rate (from 10 lbs/month to 6 lbs/month) now that I'm more than half way to my goal weight. I'll probably keep my same macros but not sure yet.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    Love it when I see peeps using good common sense on weight loss. I too adjust my calories to how much weight I lose per week/month. Barney, I know I said this before and I will say it again. you inspire me.. keep up the great work.

@kaye4health ,

Thanks...I'm glad I inspired somebody!

I really didn't like having to lower my weight loss rate but I know it's the right thing (& healthier thing) to do, especially since I'm recently recovered from a nasty eating disorder, BED (Binge Eating Disorder), that kept "kicking" me off my diets for years, attempt after attempt. The slower weight loss rate will be less likely to trigger a relapse in my BED (my last binge episode was on 5-7-2017--& I'd like to keep that my last binge episode). The slower weight loss rate is also healthier overall now that I'm past the "halfway" weight loss point. I just really liked that 10 lbs/month # and seeing it month after month after month and now I only get to look forward to a measly 5-6 lbs/month. As long as my weight is moving in the downward direction, I'll adjust, and curious as to where I'll be weight wise and with my diabetes medications by next summer (I'm hoping to be off my diabetes medications by next summer except for maybe Metformin and maybe an occasional meal time Novolog insulin if I have an indulgent higher-than-normal carb meal).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Carbs 30% (113g), Fat 35% (58g) usually go over on fat though, protein 35% (131) but try to keep under 100, Calories set at 1500, but I eat between 1200 and 1500.

Any reason your carbs are set so high? Is that perhaps a total rather than net carb count, with high fiber grams reducing the net carbs?

We're all different, of course, and what's good for the goose may cook the gander, but a net carb count of 113g would wreak havoc on my BG unless I were exercising couple 1-2 hours a day.....
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    40% protein 25% carbs 35% fat trialling and error, trying to keep carbs 30 per meal, also trying to raise iron calcium and protein Whey protein helpful for raising protein levels, raised calcium with soy and almond milk and yoghurt but very difficult to raise iron levels
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    Since my blood sugars have been good & my meal-time insulin dosages were sometimes at zero, I started increasing my carbs (42% carbs, 36% fat, 22% protein) to give me more variety of foods to choose from as long as my blood sugars remain good & my meal-time insulin dosages don't increase to more than 2 units consistently (I'll be monitoring this closely over the next several weeks). 15 months ago I was at 26% carbs, 51% fat & 23% protein but I also weighed 112 lbs more than I do now.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How do you set your meal insulin doses at zero?
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    sarahtrust wrote: »
    How do you set your meal insulin doses at zero?

@sarahtrust ,

My meal insulin dose is a "moving target". It depends on what my pre-meal blood sugar is and the amount of net carbs I'm about to consume & most importantly "what did I inject a day or two ago when I had the same meal if my pre-meal blood sugar was similar".

Also, certain foods (gram for gram) raise my blood sugar more than others. Bread (wheat/rye), for example, makes my blood sugar increase more than the same amount of net carbs from a baked potato. So, knowing how different foods affect my blood sugar allow me to "tweak" my meal insulin dosage so that I don't inject too much insulin (& have my blood sugar go low & have to eat more) nor too little (& have my blood sugar go higher than I'd like).

Recently, with my insulin dosages getting down into the single digits (2-4) per meal, I can sometimes manage without an insulin injection if the net carb content of my meal isn't over my norm AND I plan to walk for 30 minutes after the meal. Breakfast (my Meal 1) seems to be the best time for this to work as my pancreas "seems" to be able to handle things without "help" (i.e. injected meal insulin) whereas by Dinner (my Meal 3) my pancreas "seems" to be a bit "tapped out" of its own insulin and needs some "assistance" with a little injected insulin but sometimes might not need any depending on the net carbs in the meal & if I can do a much longer walk after eating (2x longer).

Note: if I always injected the same amount of meal insulin for every meal without considering pre-meal BG, net carbs of meal, possible exercise afterwards & looking at my trends from the prior days, my BG would either be going too low or too high & neither of those conditions is where I want to be as it can really affect my appetite & throw my eating way out of control (i.e. trigger a binge).