I finally feel better

Options
So I was going to write a post yesterday asking if it was normal to have a constant headache/migraine/sweatiness happening . I was only into day 4 of this new Keto diet and I was feeling so nasty since day 2.
But then this morning I woke up with a clear head, no more sweating and just felt so much better

Is the worst behind me ?! Was that what we call the keto flu? I keep my carbs at around 20-25g per day

Thanks

Replies

• LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it to me. I'm fairly new to Keto myself. I've read about the Keto flu, and many people complain about those symptoms due to electrolyte imbalance. Add some salt to your food. I salted my food and only felt tired for a few days. I did get a few headaches but off and on. Glad you're feeling better. Good luck!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    momofoli wrote: »
    Was that what we call the keto flu? /quote]

Yes. It's due to electrolyte imbalance (usually too little salt/potassium on the part of Keto newbies) and is also 100% avoidable.
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have felt fine so far but I am concerned that I am not getting enough potassium. Considering a supplement.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Sodium is the primary electrolyte to supplement. Really should be done starting day one.
    "Keto flu" is low sodium and it can happen any time. Not just in the beginning.
    <snip pic>
    I personally would caution against supplementing potassium though. Especially as much as this chart is suggesting. My daughter takes a prescription potassium because she tests chronically low and it's only 99mg a day. Getting too much potassium is dangerous. Too much magnesium or salt just gives you loose stool... not a lot risk there.

Yes, sometimes, I gets runny tummies.... and I can definitely put it down to Sodium/Magnesium overload.... I'm very hesitant to add Potassium to my daily intake, unless I'm fasting and keeping up the electrolytes. Even then, in 750ml bottle of water, I will only add 5mg... I'd rather err on the side of less.... Everything has worked well so far.

• MindfulNat
    MindfulNat Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Where would I get electrolyte supplements ?
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options

To be honest, I get most of mine at Wal-Mart, but I'm sure GNC or other vitamin stores in your area would have it! You could also give Amazon a shot. If you still have trouble finding it, maybe ask the folks at the gym you go to if they have any ideas.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I take Magnesium daily (anything but magnesium oxide which absorbs terribly I believe is ok). I recently switched to Doctor's Best brand based on this: https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1sHN2KWE1gIVw7fACh1FrQMMEAAYASAAEgIR1fD_BwE and on seeing others reference that brand here as their brand of choice.

For potassium I switched to lite salt which is about half sodium/half potassium. Not all MFP entries are good about including potassium but if you spend some time googling foods and potassium you'll find that you get some from more foods that you might realize. For me liberal usage of lite salt is enough.

For sodium you have tons of options. The lite salt still has lots of sodium of course, and you can also keep sea salt/whatever other kind that's all sodium around that you want. Broth/bouillon, pickle juice for extra sodium, whatever works best for you.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Just my opinion here: No need to purchase electrolyte supplements, really. Keep your sodium up if you have no medical reason to limit sodium.

Sodium: I'm not keen on adding additional salt to my daily foods so I'll just pour a 1/2 teaspoon on my hand a lick it off my palm then take a swig of water. No class, I know, but effective. I also carry plain old boullion cubes in my purse, back pack, car, etc. and just chew them and wash them down with water. Either is ~1000mg. "Large" hits of salt don't seem to bother my digestive system.

Magnesium: is often needed if not getting enough sodium and/or getting leg cramps. The type I see recommended most is "anything but magnesium oxide" (least absorbed and tends to give many "the runs"). I have, in the past, taken chelated magnesium glycinate, 100 mg/day, at night, prior to bed. I don't seem to need as much as many others take. I think too, I get decent magnesium amounts from my food choices so maybe that is why. Places like Walmart and even many drug stores seem to have only mag. oxide. I found what I like at Whole Foods. I suppose a vitamin store has a decent variety (or buy on line).

Potassium: as mentioned above, I too don't recommend supplementing potassium. Keep your sodium up and you most likely won't be dumping potassium. In the past, potassium has not been required on food labels so we really don't know how much is in a given food. The US is transitioning over to new food labels and compliance is required by 7/26/2018. Potassium is required on new food labels. You're probably currently getting more potassium than you think.

gl85xh66qmlb.png

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Please see this other thread on sodium. If you are not hypertensive, there is no need to fear increasing your sodium significantly.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10593504/sodium-science-for-3-5-g-3000-5000-mg-per-day#latest
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post and replies everyone, just started going lower on my carbs as I was struggling to keep on the higher low carb level, found myself still constantly bingeing so am trying lower levels to see if that stops the cravings. I've felt a bit low though and getting headaches daily so will try getting more salt in. I already take a Magnesium supplement so should be ok with that.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I mix bicarb of soda, cream of tartar, sugar, salt solution and apple cider vinegar. that's my go-to electrolyte drink. no fancy ingredients, no amazing results miracle-cure promos, no fuss, no bother no hidden stuff.

1 litre spring (bottled) water
    1 level tsp bicarb of soda
    1/2 level tsp cream of tartar
    1tsp granulated raw cane sugar
    5 level tbsps (ha ha) organic raw apple cider vinegar (I make my own, actually!)
    2tsps saturated Himalayan salt solution.

Mix. Drink.
    if you need another bottle, repeat.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, which the interesting "new label" above reminded me of. There's a lobbying effort afoot by food manufacturers not only to do away with this "new" labeling but to make food labels even less informative than they are now. So keep your eyes open. Some of us can remember when nutritional information on food labels was pretty much zilch. That was the golden era for food manufacturers but not for informed consumers.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What everyone else said!

Took me weeks to get over the sodium hump when I started keto because I had pretty moderate hypertension and edema and was deathly afraid of excess salt intake. Once I realized I started feeling like *kitten* due to a) letting go of carbs which released all the water attached to them in my body and b) upping my water intake and flushing out my kidneys to the max, and my blood pressure went back down to normal after a few months, I was no longer afraid of salt because it made me feel great if I had some.

Salt is my fave thing now, and is so good for me! I liberally sprinkle it on when cooking and serving food (however, I cook nearly everything from scratch and it's all unseasoned before that). I even use a 1/4 teaspoon in my big 2-cup mug of coffee every morning with my HWC and flavored stevia. It's like a salted latte (caramel, hazelnut, mocha, vanilla, etc., whatever SweetDrops flavor I pick that day)

If I get between 4000-5000 mg a day I'm pretty OK - any less, and it's no bueno. Potassium hasn't been a problem for me yet, because I eat between 1-2 piles of green veg every day with my meals. And I take 500 mg magnesium before bed.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Options
    I mix bicarb of soda, cream of tartar, sugar, salt solution and apple cider vinegar. that's my go-to electrolyte drink. no fancy ingredients, no amazing results miracle-cure promos, no fuss, no bother no hidden stuff.

5 level tbsps (ha ha) organic raw apple cider vinegar (I make my own, actually!)

Mix. Drink.

What is the tartar useful for, please, milady?

• Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I had serious elyte issues pre LCHF and felt really horrible until I got blood work done and discovered how low my potassium was. I now take a 1/4 tsp of No Salt every morning (yuch) and if Im doing a ride I do more at midday and at ride end. I know if I take too much as I get nauseous and diarrhea within 20 min. As someone else stated Potassium supplements may only 99mg so you wld need to take a lot to hit the 3000 to 4700 mg we each need per day - hence the No Salt. A little goes a long way. If you feel tired/lethargic up your sodium. If that isn't helping look at yr Potassium. The balance between Potassium and salt is very important to muscle functioning and therefore energy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Mix. Drink.

@MorningGloryLori - Fascinating - I went to look it up. I'd had no idea.

"If you don’t have salt substitute, then 4 teaspoons of cream of tartar can substitute as a potassium source."

Found in this link, Ms. Lori: http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/karen-vaughan-onhow-to-make-oral-rehydration-salts
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Mix. Drink.

@MorningGloryLori - Fascinating - I went to look it up. I'd had no idea.

"If you don’t have salt substitute, then 4 teaspoons of cream of tartar can substitute as a potassium source."

Found in this link, Ms. Lori: http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how-tos/karen-vaughan-onhow-to-make-oral-rehydration-salts

Wow! Thank you, Miss WFL!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Careful with the potassium though. I never mix Cream of Tartar in, if I'm merely drinking for good hydration, and eating.
    I get enough potassium from food.
    I only add C of T if I'm fasting.
    Over-loading with potassium, when it's not needed, is extremely dangerous.