Ovia App/ Fertility tracking Confusion?

Options
Hi ladies, reaching out for the first time as I am feeling somewhat frustrated this AM. Do any of you use OVIA, or similar apps?

I had my IUD removed just over 2 months ago and have been tracking my periods about a month prior to that. Last month, my period was a bit early, and then had additional spotting 2 weeks later.

Based on the predictions/entries, etc, my period was supposed to start this past weekend (Saturday ish). I did have some light (brown) spotting on Saturday, and MINIMAL at best spotting Sunday, but nothing since. No period, no more spotting. I took a test yesterday bc, well, I don't know- no period. And it was negative. Today, still no spotting, and when I entered my data into my app, it completely shifted things (Fertile window, proposed period etc). Stating that I am on my LAST DAY of the fertile window? and that I wont have any more fertile days this month, and now my period will be first of next month! WHAT?

Is this all elementary and I am missing something? I know that no App is Magic, but I really wanted to track so I could have best chances of conceiving.

Maybe I am just anxious bc my periods have been pretty on track/on time, and now that I didn't have a period, and test said negative, I'm all thrown off.

Sorry for such a long post, just feeling a bit (INSERT ALL THE EMOTIONS) today.

Replies

• sarahshinks2233
    sarahshinks2233 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used the Ovia app for TTC and tracking since I went off BC last year. It works great once your cycle re-regulates. My cycle did not normalize until I had been off BC for over 8 months, my temperature chart was wonky and I did not ovulate regularly. Pretty much every day, my fertile window would be recalculated.

You might want to check the calendar and see if it projected a period on the calendar because that could be throwing off the dates. Switch those dates from period to nothing.

It could also be that it was too early for an at home test, too. Maybe wait a couple days and re-test. I hope this helps!
  • RhiannonBecks
    RhiannonBecks Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used the Ovia app for TTC and tracking since I went off BC last year. It works great once your cycle re-regulates. My cycle did not normalize until I had been off BC for over 8 months, my temperature chart was wonky and I did not ovulate regularly. Pretty much every day, my fertile window would be recalculated.

You might want to check the calendar and see if it projected a period on the calendar because that could be throwing off the dates. Switch those dates from period to nothing.

It could also be that it was too early for an at home test, too. Maybe wait a couple days and re-test. I hope this helps!

The one thing I haven't done I guess is track my Basal Body Temp, I was going to buy one, just haven't. Thanks for the insight on the 8 months regulating as well. I think I am a bit anxious (well my personality in general is anxious, lol). But we finally decided that we would both regret NOT trying, and that has made a total shift in my mind set; getting excited at the possibility. Im considered AMA (35y7m) and I think that is in the back of my head too.

The confusing part, like you said, when I entered no period, it completely switched around my data/recalculated things and it threw me off majorly, and changed all the dates around!

I appreciate your response. I will start tracking my temp too, and maybe if no period, I will test again in a week just to be safe/ease my mind.
  • sarahshinks2233
    sarahshinks2233 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much! Hopefully you'll be back on track next month, I think 8 months was longer than average. For most it's 3-6 months, I believe I had read that somewhere. I like temping because it helps me see trends on the calendar. Fingers crossed for you!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've never used the Ovia app, but it took me 4 months after BC for the cycle to settle down and become regular again. I had issues with spotting too, which I think BC caused. Because I never had spotting before BC, but had it during and after. It helped my peace of mind to buy OPKs, since the calendar apps struggled with my O date at first. They are cheaper online, but Dollar Tree also has them. Good luck!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    @RhiannonBecks any hormonal BC will screw with your cycles (like mirana), and any periods you have on it arent real periods. It can take up to a year to regulate your periods again, so if you are concerned I would see your doctor soon. They can give you meds to make your period come and regulate much sooner.

I would use Fertility Friend instead of Ovia or Glow. FF uses your actual period dates to predict, and it learns the longer you use it. Apps like O & G use averages and arent as accurate. FF isnt pretty, but gets the job done. I have bought a year subscription, but there is a great free version as well, and it follows you through pregnancy too. I also recommend using a BB Thermometer, they are super cheap ($8 on amazon for a Mabis!) and it did take me over a month to get used to temping regularly, so I'd start right away.

This might seem a bit overwhelming, but Im on cycle 7 of trying, and we had to sit 2 out due to circumstances out of our control (I needed xrays that were scheduled in the tww, and once he was sick...and we are headed into cold and flu season, so Im afraid this might happen again soon :( ) It might take a lot longer than you hope, and I just wanted to give you information that I have gained over this time. I hope you dont need it all and get pregnant right away...but I'd hate for you to waste cycles missing your FW due to an inaccurate app, or not knowing for sure if you ovulate.

Hope this helps! :)