In a food rut- need ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Awesome, @mkoh65! I make a ton of the stuff, too! I recently baked up some 90-second bread, divided it into 2, sandwich stile (I sliced through it, cutting it into 2 equal-sized pieces) put in smoked salmon and mayo and goodness it was amazing!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    That's *Style*..... :s:D
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, at first I thought maybe you used fenceposts in that sandwich, @AlexandraCarlyle. You know... for more fibre :D;)
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I don't know what great keto meal to make for dinner that wld appeal to me and my non-keto hubby I either go to dietdoc.com and scroll thru their recipes or I simply google the ingredients I have on hand (eg keto chicken brocolli).

My main issue re the infamous food rut is with breakfast. At 20g of carbs or less it is hard to come up w anything that doesn't include eggs which are not my fave food. There are days I simply can't face them. Pre LCHF my go to breakies were plain Greek yogurt w fruit, cinnamon and honey in the summer and stone ground oatmeal w fruit, cinnamon and honey in the winter. I find even plain Greek too high in carbs but when I simply can't stand eggs I do a 3/4 cup w cinnamon and maybe some pecans but then I find my carbs are really restricted for the rest of the day. Makes dinner veg options and quantities a little more difficult.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    When I don't know what great keto meal to make for dinner that wld appeal to me and my non-keto hubby I either go to dietdoc.com and scroll thru their recipes or I simply google the ingredients I have on hand (eg keto chicken brocolli).

My main issue re the infamous food rut is with breakfast. At 20g of carbs or less it is hard to come up w anything that doesn't include eggs which are not my fave food. There are days I simply can't face them. Pre LCHF my go to breakies were plain Greek yogurt w fruit, cinnamon and honey in the summer and stone ground oatmeal w fruit, cinnamon and honey in the winter. I find even plain Greek too high in carbs but when I simply can't stand eggs I do a 3/4 cup w cinnamon and maybe some pecans but then I find my carbs are really restricted for the rest of the day. Makes dinner veg options and quantities a little more difficult.

I tried this recipe and it's so good! I have been choosing it over bacon and eggs this week just because it tastes so good and keeps me so full. I make it with cinnamon, a little sweetener, and Torani sugar free syrup.
    http://screwedonstraight.net/noatmeal-for-breakfast-keto-oatmeal/
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @BodyByButter - Thanks for the "oatmeal" recipe. Out if Flax rite now but definitely going to try this. I was kinda sad there wld be no oatmeal for me this winter. Perfect.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, I would use vanilla extract and cinnamon instead of a flavored syrup. A drop of stevia if that didn't make it sweet enough, but I think it would, I am very sensitive to sweetness in flax and cinnamon.

I too used to love steel cut oatmeal for breakie, I do lots of IF days so I skip breakie but now I will try this for the days I do eat it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The recipe caught my eye too. I've long been an proponent of not needing "specialty foods" to do keto and chia seeds have, to me, always fit into that category for whatever reason. With cooler weather coming soon I was thinking just this AM about steel cut oats. Perhaps I shall purchase some chia seeds and give it a try. I've never had them. Thanks.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love chicken breast, stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. I also do slow cooked corned silverside or some type of meat and use it for my lunchtime salad. I boil bulk eggs on Sunday for the week. I adore stuffed mushrooms! Also I make a burger and use 2 portabellos as the bun. I use low carb wraps and have either strips of steak or chicken with bacon, mayo, swiss cheese and spinach...yum! I make venison patties and do a backwards burger with bacon and cheese between the patties. These are all quick and easy to make. I grill all my meat so it takes about 5 minutes to cook. There are so many yummy recepies out there and so much we can eat.