Surgery this Thursday....advice?

Options
CampKelly
CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
Hi all!
I have sleeve surgery this Thursday 9/7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been through the class and had my pre op with the bariatric nurse. But how about some practical "been there" advise. Clear soup recipes? Pain management ideas? Thanks all!

Replies

• Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are drinking enough. In the early day dehydration is the biggest risk...so set a timer and do whatever you need to get your fluids in. Post-op I wasn't limited to clear only - so I did shakes, tomato soup, isopure ready to drink protein. Buy a variety to see what is appealing but don't buy too much of any one thing.

Your doctor will prescribe as necessary for pain. I only needed meds for about 3 days before I was able to switch to over the counter

Good luck on your surgery.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lannie79, stay hydrated. I used a timer and started with 2-3 small sips every 10 minutes from the time I got up until I went to bed. My doctor said not to worry about protein the first week but to concentrate on just getting my fluids in. I was able to start adding protein to my water on day 4. I used Nectar, which has the consistency of water. I would mix up a batch in the morning and sip all day. I used Strawberry-Kiwi and added Crystal Light lemonade to cut the sweetness.

More importantly than any advice we have is to follow your doctor's orders to the letter and if you have anything that seems unusual call them (that's what they are there for). It's better to call and feel stupid than to have a real problem and don't call. Just for the record, I called because nausea didn't feel like regular nausea. I was okay after starting on anti-nausea medication again. I felt a little stupid but felt much better after my call. Let us know how you're doing after your surgery.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    FOLLOW WHAT THE DR AND NUTRITIONIST SAY! You are not going to succeed if you break the rules. A lot of people get sick and have adverse reactions and then say the surgery didn't agree with them and neglect to mention that they did not follow the dr's orders. Do not be that person.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone's comments. I would also recommend walking as much as you can both in the hospital and when you are home. Also get some chewable papaya enzyme so when and if you have any sort of indigestion that will help. You can get it at Wal-Mart and Target. I also made some soup from Skinnytaste and puréed it. My favorite was the split pea with ham which I puréed, put in portion controlled containers and froze so they were available when I needed them. Good luck!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Walk as soon as and as much as your doctor will allow immediately after surgery. You WILL LOSE WEIGHT very quickly. Take advantage of this initial recovery time to develop good exercise/movement habits.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hope it went well!

Walk the hallways if everything is ok for you to do so. When you get home do lots of walking. You don't want to develop a blood clot, so work those legs! :)

Don't rush the food stages. It's so easy to do, so don't be tempted.
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get walking asap after surgery. I got up an hour after getting out of the recovery room. Then I set my alarm and walked every hour increasing it from once around the ward to 5 times around by second day. It meant virtually no nausea and very little pain.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Checking in to see how you are feeling?