I eat when I'm bored or in front of tv

Options
Hi,

I eat when I'm bored, or when I'm watching tv...Its kind an unconscious sort of eating. I quit smoking over 6 years ago, and I think I might have replaced one habit for the other. Food to me has become a bigger importance in my life than it should. when I was younger food was just a means to an end, as source of energy, but over the years, its become almost like a reward or a comfort kind of thing; something to look forward to, or something to do my spare time or when I'm watching, rather than just a means of sustainability. I think a large amount of the extra calories that I intake, are from me mindlessly eating.

Replies

• mekaerwin1
    mekaerwin1 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Going2Getthere22 It's going to be pretty difficult, but I'd try to make food off limits while watching TV or computer. Food will have another meaning if you were able to take time to think about what it taste, smelled or felt like. It gives you a catch to notice how large of bites you're taking and time out to sip on water between bites. I'm still guilty of eating while surfing sometimes, but it's something that I'm working on as well. It's amazing how good the food will start to taste when you do this. :smiley:
  • cmbweave
    cmbweave Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just started and realize how much I'm eating mindlessly ! It is a comfort from anxiety and boredom thing. Today I started questioning myself when I wanted to eat. Was it hunger, cravings? I resorted to eating fruit ( cherries, went through a lb.!) when I wanted sweets and good food when hungry. I went sailing, that took care of the worries. It was a great day :)
  • JoanSloan1
    JoanSloan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can relate to all of f the above posts. I eat a lot out of boredom. If any of yous want to chat please let me know x
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself craving food in those situations tell yourself you can eat but NO PROCCESSED FOOD. I guarantee your snacking on refined carbs and not a salad! Lol
  • JoanSloan1
    JoanSloan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah, snack on very unhealthy carbs x
  • ladycclear
    ladycclear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I understand the problem. I'm quitting regular tobacco and trying to get back on healthy habits myself.

Here are some things I'm trying:
    -March in place while watching television. Raise that step count. Leg lifts, squats. Get your exercise in where your binge eating time used to be.
    -Plank or squat chair sit for the duration of commercial breaks. Challenge yourself.
    -Hold hand weights instead of the food bowl. Do bicep curls or overhead presses in your recliner.
    -Use television as a rare reward, not as a regular mind-numbing habit. I feel guilty for watching too much. Is tv habit escape into someone else's reality? Stop watching and start doing to improve your own life. Favorite characters don't watch you. Why should you watch them?
    -Stop watching television. Consume less; create more. Tackle a household project, write a letter to a friend, or find some activity that enhances your life more than tv and distracts you from food.
    -Be mindful. Eat for nutrition and health. Eat because you respect and love your body--it's the only one you get.

Cheers on your journey! We're all in this together.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    ladycclear, I have hand weights in the tv room. I put them there on the floor and have never been touched. Never thought to do it while in the recliner watching tv. Thank you!

You can knit, crochet, give yourself a mani/pedi while watching tv, something to keep your hands busy. I need to take my own advice.