type 2, following LCHF diet.

Options
Hi, I am not new to this site. I just fell off the wagon 3yrs ago and just now getting back on track. My A1C was 10 and my glucose was 212 per phone call from Dr.s office on Aug. 18th. On that day, I started back with the LCHF diet. I started keeping a food diary on Aug 27th and doing good tracking everything. I would like to get some diabetic friends (and keep close to 1200 or above calories. (I try to do 1200 to 1500). And have open diary's so I may be able to get some ideas as to what to make/eat. My morning fasting is at 109 now. So I am heading in right direction. (I have also lost some weight too :)

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to friend me. I am T2D - diagnosed last October, and I am bringing down the BG readings and losing a little weight with LCHF.
  • SimonMoore73
    SimonMoore73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Guys feel free to add me also. I am looking for people on the same journey as me and to share ideas and experiences. I have type 2 and I have only recently started the LCHF diet and I can see and feel the difference immediately.

I was always programmed to cut out fat & eat low-fat foods but it is only recently that Ive realised it is the carbs that are doing the most damage. It has been processed foods that has been my downfall. Thank you to Diabetes.co.uk.

My bloods have dramatically reduced since I changed my eating habits.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    nisherm wrote: »
    Guys feel free to add me also. I am looking for people on the same journey as me and to share ideas and experiences. I have type 2 and I have only recently started the LCHF diet and I can see and feel the difference immediately.

I was always programmed to cut out fat & eat low-fat foods but it is only recently that Ive realised it is the carbs that are doing the most damage. It has been processed foods that has been my downfall. Thank you to Diabetes.co.uk.

My bloods have dramatically reduced since I changed my eating habits.

FWIW, I had a 12.8 A1C when I was diagnosed. I did everything the doctor was saying to do, and all my BG readings were horrible. I found LCHF, and the BG levels dropped almost immediately. I am on metformin, and in 9 months brought my A1C down to 5.5. I am convinced you are on the right track.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I use to be very controlled 3 yrs ago. kept my sugars in range of 70 to 80. Got off my meds (glyburide) Only would take it if my fast was over 110. I am curious to see what my A1C is going to be in a couple months. Glad to have you both as friends. I also try to keep my carbs under 100, but I do not do major low (Keto).
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi; I'd like to join you!!!
    I could use some encouragement from like minded type2 peeps.

I'm on several different diabetes meds, including Lantus.
    I want to drop it. It did seem to help my BS numbers, but I think it's what has caused me to gain an
    additional 15 lbs and I'm supposed to be going the opposite direction, duh. It's very discouraging and the weight gain is making me feel sluggish, depressed and hopeless.

My doc patiently explained that my BS numbers may have gone up because I gained, but, if
    the meds are helping me gain weight, it feels a bit like using an ax try bail water out of a sinking boat..

What would you recommend as the best source as a guide for the LCHF regimen?

I've drastically cut carbs compared to what I used to eat. Not always easy, because I get the headaches.

But enough about me.
    I'm more than happy to encourage and cheer on everyone else, because we need to beat this..

Thanks!

• CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Hi: Count me in too. yes, I'm type2. Among other things I'm taking, I am injecting Lantus at night. This seems to have helped my BS but... I've gained 20 lbs...

I am going to try to talk my doc into taking me off this stuff, because as she pointed out (when ironically arguing with me against my stopping it) gaining weight raises blood sugar so I need to lose weight, but if the meds I'm taking are adding weight then...it's going to be like using an ax to bail water from a sinking boat.

All that plus the weight gain is making me sluggish, disinclined to bother with exercise, and cranky as all get out. ha.

Anyway. I'll give encouragement when I can; I could certainly use some myself.

What guide do you recommend for a LCHF plan? I'm trying to do this on my own..It's not easy because I'm a carboholic. I hate the headaches.

:(

Thanks. I don't like to be a complainer and I'll do my best to keep it to a minimum, but
    I'm 67 years old. I've been "dieting" my whole life and I am completely frustrated with myself, and I tend to see food as The Enemy.

On that note:

B)8kvicpp6k87t.jpg

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    IMHO, best intro to LC/ketogenic diet - Phinney & Volek, New Atkins for a New You .

Best diabetes guide - Richard K. Bernstein, Diabetes Solution.

(Also, the YouTube videos by these gentlemen are generally very informative!)
  • kaye4health
    Options
    I have never been on insulin, so not sure if that makes you gain weight or not. I do know that we all are different on how many carbs we can eat without raising our sugars. I do good not going over 100, others can hardly go over 10. It is a test and learn issue for all of us. Yes I 100% agree that their is a carb addiction. Just like cigarettes, drinking etc. Breaking the habbit is hard and there will be consequences (ie" your headaches). It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to break those side effects, if you stick with cutting carbs down. I do suggest testing your BS on foods at first bite, 1hr after and again at 2hrs. This will tell you how those foods react in your body.

I use to just do the morning fast test, always looked good. (or I thought), then when I was on this site 3 yrs ago. I found this group. Peeps said the same thing, test first bit, 1hr and 2hrs. I was so shocked. Example, I use to eat honey bunches of oats. Thought it was ok, till I tested before and after. It raised my sugar almost into the 300's. My before test was in 80's. So my cereal went to my dads. lol. Once I see the foods that do not raise my sugars up, then I don't need to test it again. I ended up buying a prime meter at Walmart with there stirps. (50 sptrips for $9.00. This was cheaper than other strips and I could afford this to test often. You will still see me testing foods off and on in my diary this way. I also suggest keeping sodium down. (not sure how you do in sodium level), but for me, too much sodium, adds weight to me (I retain the water). I will add you as a friend, I do have an open diary. It isn't perfect, but I try my best.
  • CrisEBTrue
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the tips; and the friend request, which I accepted.
    B)

I've never tested after one bite. Hm. How long after one bite?

As for the weight gain; I'm using Lantus and that is one of the "side effects" described in the literature. Also, water retention, swelling, and several other annoying symptoms.

It's all so delightful, and of course everyone advises "exercise", while seemingly unaware of the fact that having diabetic feet, a trick knee and an unexpected 20+lb weight gain make it difficult to get motivated.
    Yes, those are lame excuses...

*bitter laugh*

Sorry. I said I wasn't going to whine. I hate whiners.
    But. It's just such a drag.

Thanks again for the tips and help.

414xme7mheec.gif

• kaye4health
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips; and the friend request, which I accepted.
    B)

I've never tested after one bite. Hm. How long after one bite?

As for the weight gain; I'm using Lantus and that is one of the "side effects" described in the literature. Also, water retention, swelling, and several other annoying symptoms.

It's all so delightful, and of course everyone advises "exercise", while seemingly unaware of the fact that having diabetic feet, a trick knee and an unexpected 20+lb weight gain make it difficult to get motivated.
    Yes, those are lame excuses...

*bitter laugh*

Sorry. I said I wasn't going to whine. I hate whiners.
    But. It's just such a drag.

Thanks again for the tips and help.

414xme7mheec.gif

You test before your first bite of food, to get base of where your sugar is at. Then test 1 hr after and again 2 hrs after. This will show you how the food reacts in your blood. You don't have to eliminate all carbs. But you will have to do trial and error to see where your Blood sugars want to rise. To see how many carbs you can eat. You can get carbs from veggies and fruits. Some fruits are worse in sugar and others better. Most diabetic info says most diabetic's can usually eat any kind of berries. strawberries, blueberrys, raspberrys, blackberries. Most diabetics cannot eat banana's (very high in sugar), but some can eat 1/2 a banana, or apple. I cannot eat banana's too often. but I can eat an apple if I eat it by itself. The berry fruits I can eat with other foods. like my all bran w/blueberries, or with my eggs I may have strawberries.

Also if you use to get these headaches being hypoglycemic. Are you testing to see if your sugars are too low when you are getting these headaches? Maybe your lantus is working over load and you are going hypo? I would suggest checking your sugars when you get the bad headaches, If it is low, then you need to keep track of it and let you Dr know asap. If your sugar is not low, then eating more carb, sugar foods is only going to raise it even higher.

When I first started to get away from the Carb addiction, I did it slowly. I started to eat more veggies, and less in potato's, pasta, breads etc. I do eat breads every so often and once in awhile will eat pasta, but I do not eat white rice at all. That will put my BS into the 300's every time.

Like I said, it is trial and error, and testing to see what your body works with and what it doesn't. All diabetic's level of carbs are different. We all have same disease, but our eating is not all the same.

So no you don't need to binge on all chicken. Add some cheeses, nuts, fresh veggies etc. Do some searches on computer for healthy or good veggies for a diabetic, same with fruits, go from there and just test. If you look back at my food diary Aug 27 and a few days past, you will see where I tested some foods with the pre test, 1hr, 2hr. etc. I also am working on getting my sugars way down, so I don't go on insulin, so I have not eating any breads, pasta, rice, potato's at all since the 18th of Aug. when I got the call with my lab results. I was so controlled 3yrs ago and I am getting there again.

I also had learned way way back, that if I dropped my sugar too quick, my eye sight got really bad. So before my call, I had already started to back off the carbs. gradually, so not to mess up my eye sight. now I can do ok with out the (what they call white carbs). My sugars are getting down, so I am about to add a little more carbs. like good breads that are lower in carbs, (whole grain) or maybe a low carb tortilla wrap. Bagel etc), but when I do start to add these foods into my diet, you will see me again, doing the pre test, 1hr, 2hr, to see how my bread reacts or bagle etc.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps you.

• CrisEBTrue
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes.
    I've been doing all those diabetic dietary things since 1999.
    I obviously haven't been perfect because here I am.

Too often, to my regret, I've given in to temptation from sheer boredom, frustration or hunger.
    I can't bake anymore because I eat it.

I eliminated corn, pasta, tortillas, french fries, potato chips, corn chips, white bread, most crackers, cookies..which isn't to say that I NEVER sneak a FF from my husband's plate.

We eat very little processed food and for the most part, I have come to dread eating out, because I can't deal with sugar in sauces, corn starch, MSG or other hidden ingredients.
    "I'll have the plain salmon with broccoli on the side, hold the rice..."

I used to be able to eat anything and now I'm a high-maintenance diva who finds reading a menu exhausting, fraught with temptations I have to avoid, or littered with a minefield of
    ingredients that are going to make me wish I'd stayed home and had a container of Greek Yogurt.

I eat so little sugar that sweet things taste TOO sweet.
    I have ice cream or dark chocolate once in awhile.
    I have a small baked potato once every 10 days or so because.. well, I like baked potatoes.
    And I hate sweet potatoes because they're too sweet and I am tired of them.

I have most recently stopped eating any non-vegetable-ish carbs at night.
    I probably don't eat enough veggies.
    But I have to be careful with that too or I get the runs... and yes yes I know that 'over time your body adjusts' or so they say. But I know myself well enough so I'm never going to have a couple of platesful of salad before I get on a plane.

The headaches mostly don't seem related to my blood sugar levels. It's weird to feel disoriented and fuzzy, feel like my blood sugar is low and have it be.. normal. So I figure in those cases that I am just hungry.

OH well.

Got up this am; blood sugar was 129.
    Had breakfast; plain 2 egg omelette and half a pear.
    Rode my stationary bike for 25 minutes, ran up and down the stairs a few times, drank 2 cups of water.. now my BS is 135.

This is a typical day for me. BS is a bit higher than it was about 6 months ago at these same times and conditions because I've gained weight.

Fun times!

• kaye4health
    Options
    You sound like you have a good grasp on things. Yes tempation is very hard. I mess up, we all do, that is what makes us human and not robots. You just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on along as if that temptation never happened. I cannot see your diary, not sure if you have it private on purpose or just haven't gone into settings to set it to friends. etc. If it is on purpose, that is fine. No biggie to me. It is what helps you keep on track... I wish you the best of luck my friend.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have never been on insulin, so not sure if that makes you gain weight or not. I do know that we all are different on how many carbs we can eat without raising our sugars. I do good not going over 100, others can hardly go over 10. It is a test and learn issue for all of us. Yes I 100% agree that their is a carb addiction. Just like cigarettes, drinking etc. Breaking the habbit is hard and there will be consequences (ie" your headaches). It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to break those side effects, if you stick with cutting carbs down. I do suggest testing your BS on foods at first bite, 1hr after and again at 2hrs. This will tell you how those foods react in your body.

I use to just do the morning fast test, always looked good. (or I thought), then when I was on this site 3 yrs ago. I found this group. Peeps said the same thing, test first bit, 1hr and 2hrs. I was so shocked. Example, I use to eat honey bunches of oats. Thought it was ok, till I tested before and after. It raised my sugar almost into the 300's. My before test was in 80's. So my cereal went to my dads. lol. Once I see the foods that do not raise my sugars up, then I don't need to test it again. I ended up buying a prime meter at Walmart with there stirps. (50 sptrips for $9.00. This was cheaper than other strips and I could afford this to test often. You will still see me testing foods off and on in my diary this way. I also suggest keeping sodium down. (not sure how you do in sodium level), but for me, too much sodium, adds weight to me (I retain the water). I will add you as a friend, I do have an open diary. It isn't perfect, but I try my best.

@kaye4health ,

Yes and No (regarding the effect of insulin on weight gain).

Yes--Excessive insulin (i.e. injecting extra insulin to get blood sugar down due to eating excessive carbs which could easily be resulting in excessive calories or hunger) can cause weight gain.

No--the proper amount of injected insulin (just enough to deal with an appropriate amount of carbs in the diet, which varies for each individual, to bring the blood glucose down into a good range) is not likely, by itself, to cause weight gain, however, excessive calories over what is needed will cause weight gain.

For me, back in early 2016, my A1c was 11% and I didn't want to diet anymore or give up my carbs (I was "addicted" to them and didn't want to "give them up" or even "moderate" them) and figured I could improve my A1c by injecting more meal-time insulin to bring my blood glucose #'s down into a good range. It worked!--By the end of the year, I got my A1c down to 7% (down from 11%) but it took 120 units/day of meal-time insulin (Novolog/Humalog) and 60 units of Levemir (Lantus) to do that and I "ballooned" up by 50 lbs to 317 lbs by 1/1/2017 when I finally said "enough is enough" as I'd be back to paying out-of-my-pocket for my insulins (Novolog & Levemir) since my deductible for the new year wouldn't be met for months and the out-of-pocket costs of those insulins added up to almost $1000/month at that time with the dosage I'd be on. That's when I realized I really had to make a change to what I was eating and figure out something that was sustainable for me and that worked to lower my insulin requirements & to lose weight. I've tried keto in the past and could not stick to it and low carb (about 100 g/day) and had trouble sticking with that long term but that was on a 1500 calorie diet (which I now know was too low for me and that could have been the reason why). Instead, I needed a "diet" I could "live with" long term to improve my blood sugar #'s and lose weight and once I got my BED (Binge Eating Disorder) fixed and started eating an appropriate amount of daily calories (2000 at the time), my weight started dropping as did my insulin dosages and I also learned what foods made my blood sugars go up more than others and tried to stay away from those foods by finding better substitutes or have them as occasional "smaller" indulgences.

Now, as of today, I'm down 90 lbs since New Year's (when I weighed 317 lbs) and my Levemir/Lantus (night time) insulin dosage is down to 3 units at night (down from 60 units in January) & in 5 days, it will be zero!, and my Novolog/Humalog (meal time) insulin dosage is down to about 6 units per day (down from 120 units in January). So, it is definitely possible to lose weight while injecting insulin but I do think it helps immensely to monitor blood sugars before & after meals along with the carb content of those meals each day and how various foods affect those blood sugar readings.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hi; I'd like to join you!!!
    I could use some encouragement from like minded type2 peeps.

I'm on several different diabetes meds, including Lantus.
    I want to drop it. It did seem to help my BS numbers, but I think it's what has caused me to gain an
    additional 15 lbs and I'm supposed to be going the opposite direction, duh. It's very discouraging and the weight gain is making me feel sluggish, depressed and hopeless.

My doc patiently explained that my BS numbers may have gone up because I gained, but, if
    the meds are helping me gain weight, it feels a bit like using an ax try bail water out of a sinking boat..

What would you recommend as the best source as a guide for the LCHF regimen?

I've drastically cut carbs compared to what I used to eat. Not always easy, because I get the headaches.

But enough about me.
    I'm more than happy to encourage and cheer on everyone else, because we need to beat this..

Thanks!

The headache that many get from cutting carbs is often actually low electrolytes-sodium to be specific. When carbs are lowered, insulin falls which causes water loss, and sodium is lost with the water. The result is fatigue, headaches, brain fog, nausea, BM issues, and muscle aches.

If you make sure you get 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day, it should be preventable. There are 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt. Often salt tablets, salt with a chaser of water, or boullion/broth can help with getting enough sodium.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Re: insulin. I'm not on that kind of insulin. I have been using Lantus which is a once-a-day injection. I don't adjust it. My doc told me to start out with 10 units a night and up it x2 units every 2 days until my BS readings came down to below 140 in the am.

(She had put me on Bydureon before this. I lost 18 pounds on the stuff but during that same time, this product RAISED my blood sugar.. sometimes to over 300. It was completely freaky.)

Now I'm injecting 12 units a night of Lantus; my am numbers are around 110-120, depending on whatever weirdness is going on. For example if I have a restless night, can't sleep, get up more than once, my am # will be higher.

Interesting about the sodium; I think I knew that. Guess I'll go eat some peanuts. ;);)

After I go exercise.

I think that's my biggest thing, I need to exercise more. ugh

Oh well.
    Plodding onward.

I looked at the Strict LCHF diet and seriously I just can't not eat any bread.
    I can live without cookies and that kind of thing, but I feel a lot better if, like I did this morning, I have 1/4 of a ww pita with cream cheese, a slice of turkey, a bowl with 1 strawberry and half a banana cut up on top of greek yogurt. Take away the bread and.. I would be
    gnawing the table leg within 45 minutes. Maybe it's psychological.

Pass the salt and the table leg, please. :D:o:D

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

I looked at the Strict LCHF diet and seriously I just can't not eat any bread.
    I can live without cookies and that kind of thing, but I feel a lot better if, like I did this morning, I have 1/4 of a ww pita with cream cheese, a slice of turkey, a bowl with 1 strawberry and half a banana cut up on top of greek yogurt. Take away the bread and.. I would be
    gnawing the table leg within 45 minutes. Maybe it's psychological.

Pass the salt and the table leg, please. :D:o:D

I too love bread and have found the Aunt Millies 35 calorie breads to be much lower carb and high fiber and they taste good!
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion; I'll look for them!! o:)B)