Keto Pasta Sauce Where Art Thou!

Options
camiyo
camiyo Posts: 10 Member
Has anyone been able to find a very low carb pasta sauce? I can't find one anywhere. The least I see is 11grams of carbs.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to marinara type sauce? Because there will be natural carbs from the tomatoes. Best one I found was a Wild Oats Organic Parmesan and Romano based sauce from Walmart, but I think they stopped carrying it. Look for any organic sauces without added sugar. I think it was 4 grams of carbs per half cup or something. Otherwise, making your own is the best option.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    alfredo sauce = butter + parmesan + heavy cream

stroganoff = sour cream + cream of mushroom soup concentrate
    (you can alter the ratio to help limit carbs - or find a gluten free version, they are sometimes lower carbs)

your best bet for a tomato-ish sauce is probably to make a broth based sauce (with basil, parmesan, and oregano, etc) and then add as little tomato paste as you can possibly tolerate to make it pass...at least then you can control the carbs and add extra seasoning and herbs as needed...and a little tomato paste can go a long way...you can use things like mushrooms and eggplant and dry red wine to add layers to the flavor without adding much carbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    camiyo wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to find a very low carb pasta sauce? I can't find one anywhere. The least I see is 11grams of carbs.

I buy some things from Thrive Market and their Vodka sauce is the lowest I've ever found.
    It has no added sugar and totals 5g carbs for 1/2 cup.
    I have found some brands in stores that are lower than 10g before but they tend to be the pricey brands and not the big brand names you see more often. Look at labels on the top shelf sauces and you'll probably have better luck.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    *Ahem*.... I make my own.
    My question is - Pasta??

Carbs??
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    *Ahem*.... I make my own.
    My question is - Pasta??

Carbs??

Lol
    Yeah... not really the correct term anymore huh?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Low carb would also be carbonara: Eggs, oil, black pepper, and bacon lardons, or better, pancetta.

But I would have thought....

Pasta? Really?

(Unless, of course, you're thinking resistant starch....)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I assumed pasta like zoodles or spaghetti squash or shiiritaki noodles...those are pasta, right???
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I make this without celery because celery is disgusting. I know i know. As a fully formed adult I shouldn't find anything disgusting but Celery....eww gross. It's quick and easy, they say simmer for 30 min but it never takes that long.

https://www.atkins.com/recipes/basic-tomato-sauce/1765

There's a brand Rao's homemade that I know you can get at Thrive, possibly other places too, they have a basic marinara that has 4G carbs per serving,
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And just because something is called pasta sauce does not mean it is only used ON PASTA. I use so-called pasta sauces on meat and veggies all the time! :)
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use the Rao tomato basil sauce. 2g net carbs per 1/2 cup serving. I buy it at Target. It is pretty pricey so I stock up when it is on sale!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    eneild wrote: »
    I use the Rao tomato basil sauce. 2g net carbs per 1/2 cup serving. I buy it at Target. It is pretty pricey so I stock up when it is on sale!

I had this about an hour ago on a low carb tortilla (made a pizza). It was really good.
  • camiyo
    camiyo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I am not using the pasta sauce on noodles. I want to cut a zucchini up and put pasta sauce, pepperoni, and cheese on it and put in oven to fulfill my pizza love while doing low carb diet :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti SQUASH is a good alternative to zucchini when you want to try something different.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love this sauce. It includes pork chops but I often make it without for other meals.
    http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2014/11/4/moms-pasta-sauce-with-pork-chops.html
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Rao's Marinara is 3 carbs and so tasty. I use it to make my no noodle lasagna and fat head pizza.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Rao's mentioned above is good. Bella Vita (slightly higher carb, but better flavor profile) is a good LC choice too. Keep your eyes open at your local stores. You might find some other choices available there!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Decent jarred sauce I use when not making my own = Classico Florentine Spinach & Cheese (5g carbs in 1/2c) or Classico Rosee (5g carbs in 1/2c).
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Raos on farhead crust or zoodles.
  • TheCakeDiva
    TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I made my own - I bought two bushels of roma tomatoes, washed them and hulled out the stem section. Then I cut them in half, spread them on a sheet pan with some onion and lots of garlic, and roasted them for 45 minutes at 350 (this took some time as I had to do several trays). Then I pureed them, put them in containers and froze it. Voila, sauce with no sugar added!