Keto with no gall bladder?

Options
Anyone here do it without getting nasty digestive side effects?

Replies

• Jobeth1961
    Jobeth1961 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Only 3 weeks into this and have taken a pre-biotic powder in morning black coffee (BIMUNO if you're interested) after week one gastric situ never been better. I have no gall bladder & IBS. 5% carbs 25% proteins 75% Fats Keto diet. Eating 2-3 meals a day, in an 8 hour window. Feeling & sleeping so much better than 3 weeks ago but I am only speaking for myself, I am no expert. What sort of problems have you encountered?
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a gallbladder for about 25 years. No problems :)
  • pkdarlin
    pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I take bile salts (ox bile) and it seems to help with no gull bladder.
  • aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Jobeth1961 wrote: »
    Only 3 weeks into this and have taken a pre-biotic powder in morning black coffee (BIMUNO if you're interested) after week one gastric situ never been better. I have no gall bladder & IBS. 5% carbs 25% proteins 75% Fats Keto diet. Eating 2-3 meals a day, in an 8 hour window. Feeling & sleeping so much better than 3 weeks ago but I am only speaking for myself, I am no expert. What sort of problems have you encountered?

My macros are 10, 20, and 70 so not a super strict keto. My meal window is different though because I am a shift worker. The biggest problem I've had is periodic, gassy, greasy diarrhea. (Sorry TMI)

• newyorkgirlygirl
    newyorkgirlygirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gall bladder either. Have been doing keto for about 3 months. Some digestive issues but nothing crazy. I read about taking ox bile and tried it for a few weeks but then got an unbelievable itch on my heels. Sure enough, googled it, and had to stop taking it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Jobeth1961 wrote: »

My macros are 10, 20, and 70 so not a super strict keto. My meal window is different though because I am a shift worker. The biggest problem I've had is periodic, gassy, greasy diarrhea. (Sorry TMI)

Digestive Enzymes WITH Bile Salts are the key for me for eating times. But the simple fact is that I personally cannot fast or go longer than 8-12 hours without eating, due to the constant bile trickle - or I will just have painful acidic bile diarrhea. Flat out.

The gassy/greasy stuff means that you are not digesting your food properly, period. The greasy means that you are not absorbing all the fat from your meals. The gassy means that you aren't breaking down and absorbing certain aspects of the foods, could be any part... Once you get proper digestion improved, any gut bugs evicted, and rule out any food intolerances, you should have very little flatulence and very little smell to any that does happen as well as to any waste products...

@aggiepringle6665 - Best of luck as you fight to figure this out.

This article is the one that was sent to me that helped me the most in all this:

http://nobunplease.com/diarrhea-low-carb-keto-diet/
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @newyorkgirlygirl - I don't have that reaction - I'm incredibly sorry that you do, because I know adding a digestive supplement that includes Ox Bile has been absolutely crucial to me regaining any quality of life. I know that Solaray products use Porcine Bile - and I've seen some vegetarian ones that use different forms, is it the bile that is the problem, the OX bile, or something else?

I'm likely to require digestive enzymes for the rest of my life (GB out in 12/2000, 7 weeks postpartum), and so I'd love to know... I'm all about the research and experimentation!