First I've heard of this!

Options
AlexandraCarlyle
AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
My H and I were watching a quiz programme, and one of the contestants was asked what she would do if she won the prize money. She replied she wanted to open a little restaurant with her daughter, producing a menu and dishes based on a 'Banting Diet', which is - wait for it - Low carb high fat.
I'd never heard of it, but apparently - well, see for yourselves.

Who knew - ?!

https://realmealrevolution.com/the-facts

Banting's Pamphlet, 3rd Edition.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I knew! Didn't read the article but it has been around since what? Mid 1800s? Noakes was the one to popularize it again. Or was it perhaps Atkins.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It's been hitting stride again recently, particularly in Australia and New Zealand. We had some articles in group about it, 6-9 months ago, I think.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Tim Noakes refers to it as Banting.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I have never heard or seen it referred to here, and as my first foray into this WoE was via Drs. Sarah Hallberg, Andread Eenfeldt and Jason Fung, I really believed that, like so many, many phenomena born in the USA, this was one of them. So much for my "extensive research"....!

(I know, I know... Dr. A. Eenfeldt isn't American, but he's constantly referred to as 'The Diet Doctor', and lauded and applauded by many here, so I kinda made that loose connection... *d'oh!*)

Anyway. LCHF is a British thing. And even though we lost at Boston, I claim my inheritance here. Thank you all, you can all go home now. :p

:D
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yup. You can still read his famous "Letter on Corpulence".
    http://www.thefitblog.net/ebooks/LetterOnCorpulence/LetteronCorpulence.pdf

It makes it one hell of a long "fad" doesn't it? :D

LOL No kidding. :D
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My H and I were watching a quiz programme, and one of the contestants was asked what she would do if she won the prize money. She replied she wanted to open a little restaurant with her daughter, producing a menu and dishes based on a 'Banting Diet', which is - wait for it - Low carb high fat.
    I'd never heard of it, but apparently - well, see for yourselves.

Who knew - ?!

https://realmealrevolution.com/the-facts

Banting's Pamphlet, 3rd Edition.

Haha was watching the same programme and thought the same
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    So the avoiding pork thing means no bacon for Banting?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I linked to the original book, in my post.... In fact, I might even have been a young girl when it was originally published - How'd I miss dat...?!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    So the avoiding pork thing means no bacon for Banting?

I bet if they'd had spicy Chinese ribs they'd have re-thought that one!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that he forbid pork, but I wouldn't be completely shocked. I, also, think his diet would work as well with it, for most people.

I don't eat a lot of pork. I am not a big fat of it. It seems to lack a satisfying nature that other meats have. That might be in my head, but I much prefer red meat.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    You have to remember also that attitudes to meat - particularly pork - have been distinctly affected by many things, including environment, hygiene standards and religion. Rather than copy and paste, I would refer you all to page 1379 (!!) of this extraordinary and wonderful document, for further input.
    The whole volume itself is a noteworthy treasure. I have downloaded mine for future reference - !
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I linked to the original book, in my post.... In fact, I might even have been a young girl when it was originally published - How'd I miss dat...?!

I missed your link.
    You were a little girl in 1864???? :D You're fabulous!

ps: I keep meaning to comment on that adorable avatar!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

I missed your link.
    You were a little girl in 1864???? :D You're fabulous!

ps: I keep meaning to comment on that adorable avatar!

It's LCHF that keeps me young - ! :D (That and a good skin regimen!)

The avatar is really cute, isn't it?!? I just fell in love with it when I found it! I believe it might be a Jerboa, but I'm not entirely sure....
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    By the 1920-1930 period "banting" had become a sort of catch phrase for any weight loss diet regimen. In one of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple stories, that the murder victim's companion was "banting" was one of the clues that identified the culprit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    By the 1920-1930 period "banting" had become a sort of catch phrase for any weight loss diet regimen. In one of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple stories, that the murder victim's companion was "banting" was one of the clues that identified the culprit.

Oh that's cool! Which Christie story?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

Yes! I have read the entire Hercule Poirot series, beginning with 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles' right up to 'Curtain.' (They do begin to get a little predictable after book #25.... :D )

I also watched every episode of the Hercule Poirot series on tv, starring David Suchet...

I have seen a lot of 'Miss Marple' on TV, but never yet actually read one of the books.
    I'd love to redress that balance.

I second the question!

(I often wonder what he and she would make of one another if thrown together to solve a mystery? I daresay she would have considered him an irritating and tiresome little foreigner, but would treat him with the utmost courtesy, and he would consider her a bit staid and old-fashioned. Respect would be first born on his side, towards her. She eventually would warm to him, and consider him a close acquaintance and someone to be entirely trusted. In spite of being a foreigner. )

I think that's what you call an O/T post.
    But it's MY thread, so that's ok! :D
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Sorry for the delay; things have been hectic around here. The story in question is the first one in the "Tuesday Night Club" series in which Miss Marple solves a series of mysteries that baffle her friends. (Naturally.)

I'm a huge Christie fan and can re-read her novels and stories decades after I found out whodunit. The televised adaptations of her works have always disappointed; they don't seem to have the flavor of the originals and the plots are frequently distorted to fit the different requirements of film versus print. If all you know of Mrs. Christie is from TV, you need to read her work. You can get them at bargain prices at Thriftbooks.com.